A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- Live updates from the Witney count
- +++Witney result: Biggest Con to Lib Dem swing since the 1997 Winchester by-election.
- Independent: "The Lib Dems could steal David Cameron's seat tomorrow"
- Canada-EU non-deal - dramatic collapse of the shining example for a post-Brexit future held up by the leavers
- Alistair Carmichael MP writes...Sometimes it is not a bad thing to be an elitist!
- The American people will not take kindly to being kept “in suspense” by Donald Trump (Paul Walter)
- Shas Sheehan challenges the government over Calais refugee crisis (Suzanne Fletcher)
- Lessons for Syria on post-conflict reconstruction (Ciaran McGonagle)
- Independent: “The Lib Dems could steal David Cameron’s seat tomorrow” (Caron Lindsay)
- We Must Understand the Terrifying Logic of Theresa May’s ‘Right-Wing Socialism’ (Jonathan Ferguson)
- expats 23rd Oct - 8:42am
Annabel is not the only one....The following was sent to me on another site... "Why is everything in life reduced to MONEY! Sod how the...
- Paul Walter 23rd Oct - 8:20am
Annabel "But this is not just about money." Then what on earth is it about then? Some sort of vague notion of Britishness as people...
- "Ne pas to brexit" 23rd Oct - 6:59am
As a resident of a village in witney district and swing voter I would like to make the following observations on your campaign. The day...
- El SidP 23rd Oct - 2:27am
@"Paul Walter 22nd Oct '16 - 1:43pm El Sid, so we’ll end up high and dry with no trade deal with the EU. That’ll be...
- john 23rd Oct - 1:12am
Just relieved we are leaving this monster and getting our independence back. Sure it will be a bumpy ride for a few years but well...
- Lorenzo Cherin 23rd Oct - 1:09am
Paul Barker Stop Brexit etc and us becoming a one issue party is a recipe for disaster , silliness and lack of substance , in...
Wed 26th Oct 2016
Sat 29th Oct 2016
Thu 3rd Nov 2016
Wed 9th Nov 2016
Fri 11th Nov 2016
Tue 15th Nov 2016
Sat 19th Nov 2016