A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- Lib Dems publish latest accounts: £439k surplus and membership up to 43,451
- Lord Rennard: Lib Dems continue investigation into peer while party official apologises for lapse
- Good news: Voters places themselves and the Lib Dems in the centre. Bad news: that doesn't mean they're liberals
- Ukip may well win a seat in May 2015. But the least likely person to get elected is Nigel Farage
- David Ward: "if I lived in #Gaza would I fire a rocket? - probably yes"
- Actually, this having the World Cup in England might be a good idea (Caron Lindsay)
- Don Foster MP writes…Justifiable NIMBYism? (Don Foster MP)
- Opinion: What is HAMAS’s game plan? (Steve Coltman)
- Opinion: The ECHR is a “British Bill of Rights” (Jonathan Waddell)
- Monroe Palmer writes: Reform of the complaints system for the Armed Forces (Monroe Palmer)
- Lawyers Kidwells and Ludlow Skip Hire threaten me but I won't meet their demands
- Social Liberal Conference: Farron on the Radical challenge now the Regan/Thatcher/ Blair consensus is dead
- Shropshire Council speaks on rats in downtown Ludlow
- Why the 11th hour ASA u-turn?
- The Liberal Democrats - Reasons to Join Us or Support Us
- Bats and Dragonflies
- Police appeal following fatal accident
- Science advice in Europe: an open letter to Jean-Claude Juncker
- The banks are crap - so do something about it!
- In defence of Sansa Stark
- Tim Oliver 30th Jul - 8:04pm
Green Voter - you seem to be alarmed to discover that companies can go bankrupt when they run out of cash. What would you suggest...
- Energlyn Churchill 30th Jul - 8:03pm
I also recently wrote about so-called 'intergenerational theft' and made reference to Vince's 'politicians are scared of pensioners' quip. Whilst I don't resent those older...
- Green Voter 30th Jul - 7:54pm
@Simon My point was simply that companies can go under, leaving others to pay the environmental cost. I do not see that the UK fracking...
- Richard Wingfield 30th Jul - 7:50pm
The real question, as many here have pointed out, is who should have the final say on questions of human rights: judges or Parliament? There...
- Paul in Wokingham 30th Jul - 7:50pm
@Nich Starling - perhaps I misunderstand something in your comment, or perhaps the rules have changed, but the 2002 World Cup was a joint bid...
- Simon 30th Jul - 7:28pm
@greenvoter The Freedom Industries spill in the US had nothing to do with fracking. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Elk_River_chemical_spill
Thu 31st Jul 2014
Sun 3rd Aug 2014
Thu 7th Aug 2014
Thu 14th Aug 2014
Thu 21st Aug 2014