A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- Lord Paul Strasburger writes…Report shows that nobody thinks Home Office is right on investigatory powers (Paul Strasburger)
- With his Trident stance Corbyn shows himself to be no fan of ‘new politics’ (David Thorpe)
- Lib Dems disagree on EU referendum date (Caron Lindsay)
- Political disconnect in Calais and Dunkirk (Bradley Albrow)
- Don’t be left voiceless (Thomas Shakespeare)
- Economics essay 1: economic growth will come to an end naturally
- At home with family
- Liberal Democrat Newswire #76 is out, including the latest evidence on how to win elections
- More heel dragging over Fatal Foetal Abnormality
- No ward surgery tonight
- Interesting Links for 11-02-2016
- The Blood is the Life for 11-02-2016
- Welsh Liberal Democrats deliver on patient safety
- More Focus deliveries
- Selected as PCC candidate for Northumbria
- Alex Macfie 11th Feb - 12:56pm
@David Raw: I've been saying such for a long time; in particular I have strongly criticised the party's 2014 Euro election strategy, which was wrong...
- Mick Taylor 11th Feb - 12:45pm
There is absolutely no evidence that s0-called 'good' candidates poll better except where they have an incumbency factor - and they don't get that till...
- James 11th Feb - 12:36pm
I've got a certain degree of sympathy for Corbyn; he's faced with implaccable uncompromising opposition from the majority of his MPs towards most of his...
- Dav 11th Feb - 12:14pm
And of course manifesto commitments are always kept and delivered on by single party administrations, aren’t they… The point of democracy being that if they...
- Peter Parsons 11th Feb - 11:59am
"Yes, but the essential difference is that the horse-trading goes on before the election and produces a manifesto which all in the party sign up...
- Robert Armour 11th Feb - 11:52am
Barry You obviously no nothing about the pub industry, and should reframe from making comments or observations in matters that you no nothing about.
Thu 11th Feb 2016
Sat 13th Feb 2016
Tue 16th Feb 2016
Thu 18th Feb 2016
Sat 20th Feb 2016
Thu 25th Feb 2016
Sat 27th Feb 2016
Sun 28th Feb 2016
Mon 29th Feb 2016
Thu 3rd Mar 2016
Sat 5th Mar 2016