A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- Liberal Democrats must enthusiastically occupy the clear pro EU space - nobody else will
- Nicola Sturgeon appoints controversial Brexit Minister
- Vince Cable writes: What Brexit means
- Renationalising the railways is trendy but not smart
- Andrew George writes...Can progressives unite to defeat the Tories?
- Young, disabled and believed in (Matthew Clark)
- Baroness Jenny Randerson writes…Consumer rights should cover train franchises (Jenny Randerson)
- Two reports highlight ongoing need for feminism (Caron Lindsay)
- Open Britain divides opinion (Joe Otten)
- Nuclear weapons policy: the zero option (Kevin White)
- Dan Dare and the Mekon return to Southport
- The Blood is the Life for 31-08-2016
- Coming soon: Nick the PhD student
- The EU does something which single states cannot
- Labour MP loses the plot over expenses proposal
- Southport – Manchester Trains – Please support this petition
- We all (including companies) need to pay our taxes or public services will suffer.
- Friends of Balgay Summer Meeting
- Labour and the Lib Dems are taking the boundary review a wee bit lightly
- Royal Northumberland Yacht Club - Heritage Open Days 2016
- Eddie Sammon 31st Aug - 4:34pm
Yes it's a fine speech. I have an idea that might sound silly or amateurish, but why not try to arrange a random press conference...
- Stevan Rose 31st Aug - 4:27pm
"it seems to be some sort of ‘economic liberal’ obsession (private good/public bad)." Maybe it's more balanced - private can be good/bad, public can be...
- Nick Baird 31st Aug - 4:18pm
Great speech - sounds like Tim at his best. I just hope people beyond the Lib Dem faithful hear it.......
- Catherine Jane Crosland 31st Aug - 4:17pm
Caron, yes I would agree that 16 and 17 year olds probably should have been given the vote. But we should accept that older people...
- nvelope2003 31st Aug - 3:52pm
Stevan Rose: Thank you for the information. Expats: I expect that a lot more jobs are created by profitable companies. The unprofitable companies normally go...
- Leave The EU 31st Aug - 3:47pm
@Jenny Barnes - PS if you seriously think that "immigration control" etc. is not an issue for a large amount of UK voters, then UKIP...
Thu 1st Sep 2016
Sat 3rd Sep 2016
Tue 6th Sep 2016
Thu 8th Sep 2016
Fri 9th Sep 2016
Mon 12th Sep 2016
Wed 14th Sep 2016
Thu 15th Sep 2016
Sat 17th Sep 2016
Sun 18th Sep 2016
Thu 22nd Sep 2016