A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- We must reclaim our Social Democrat heritage
- Stephen Tall's Diary: liberal jottings on the week's big events
- UN Security Council resolution 2249 - historic moment of international unity
- The morning after the by-elections. How did Lib Dems do on 19th November 2015?
- Banning the Lord's prayer - how outrageous (if it were true)
- Tim Farron’s response to the Autumn Statement (The Voice)
- Dutch economists & ex-ministers: Brexit so disastrous that Dutch government should campaign against it (Bernard Aris)
- We should be highly sceptical of air strikes against Syria (Geoffrey Payne)
- York welcomes refugees (Keith Aspden)
- Tim Farron MP writes: We need a holistic approach to eliminate domestic violence once and for all (Tim Farron MP)
- Links I found interesting for 26-11-2015
- The Blood is the Life for 26-11-2015
- Shooting yourself in the Little Red Book
- Recently lost railways 2
- Unless anyone knows different... a first tonight in Cambridge(shire and Peterborough) as a PCC prospective candidate is selected
- A superb start to West End Christmas Fortnight!
- A Box of Delights on the radio in the 1960s
- Harborough Tories: £7 off council tax, £40 on bin tax
- Tim Farron's response to the Autumn Statement
- Autumn Statement: Health and Social Care Cuts Continue
- John Marriott 26th Nov - 8:35am
A friend of mine has sent me an 'amusing' caption yesterday. Sorry if some of you serious contributors think that now is not the time...
- Helen Dudden 26th Nov - 8:15am
Does this situation mean you have an excessive amount of housing? Does it mean your NHS is not struggling? I believe in cut backs at...
- John Marriott 26th Nov - 8:15am
Question: When is a U turn not a U turn? Answer: When you have no effective opposition.
- Kirsten johnson 26th Nov - 8:11am
Thanks, Tim, for this article. Yes, we need a holistic, comprehensive approach to a problem which permeates all levels of society. If we, as Lib...
- Ed Shepherd 26th Nov - 7:18am
Reminds me of why so many people in Birmingham now boycott HP Sauce.
- Richard 26th Nov - 6:20am
I think the Association of Colleges are saying it could be much worse. Having your core funding rate protected in cash terms means that it...
Thu 26th Nov 2015
Fri 27th Nov 2015
Sun 29th Nov 2015
Mon 30th Nov 2015
Thu 3rd Dec 2015
Thu 10th Dec 2015
Sat 12th Dec 2015
Wed 16th Dec 2015
Wed 23rd Dec 2015