A Labour MP has caused outrage by suggesting that Britain’s first Jewish ambassador to Israel has divided loyalties because he has “proclaimed himself to be a Zionist”.
Challenged by the JC to clarify his comments about Matthew Gould, who took up the post last year, Paul Flynn, the Labour MP for Newport West, said ambassadors to Israel had not previously been Jewish “to avoid the accusation that they have gone native”.
Britain needed, he said, “someone with roots in the UK [who] can’t be accused of having Jewish loyalty”.
The Foreign Office and MPs from across the political spectrum sprang to Mr Gould’s defence and condemned the remarks.
Middle East Minister Alistair Burt said: “Paul Flynn should take some time to consider his comments, which could easily be misconstrued. There is absolutely no reason why our ambassador to Israel should not be Jewish. Any allegations about Matthew Gould’s conduct are utterly unsubstantiated. He is a first-class ambassador.”
- Three ways our democracy is being undermined (Toby MacDonnell)
- Johnny Oates tells House of Lords about his experience of depression (The Voice)
- Holding Kirsty to account (Energlyn Churchill)
- Why I’ve just joined the Liberal Democrats (Tom Sutton)
- We are all leaders (Alex Hegenbarth)
- Saturday reading
- The 1980 Hugo Awards, revisited
- The Rio Olympics should be postponed or moved
- Lord Bonkers' Diary: "Take your hands off our cox"
- This is not a migrant crisis
- Sir Alan Sugar on Brexit
- Lydiate – Leeds Liverpool Canal Bi-Centenary
- Bude - promotional film from the early 1960s
- The Blood is the Life for 28-05-2016
- Road works postponed yet again
- George Kendall 28th May - 9:33pm
@J Dunn But Sal Bringing supports reform that'd get rid of her job for life. If only Tory MPs in safe seats would do the...
- J Dunn 28th May - 9:26pm
"Sal.....pointing out that our democracy is far from perfect and essentially gave Ann Widdecombe a job for life." Our imperfect democracy seems to have worked...
- Frank Bowles 28th May - 9:14pm
Welcome Tom :-)
- R Uduwerage-Perera 28th May - 9:07pm
Oddly I do not find it comforting that even more people are joining the ranks that I and other EMLD members were aready members of...
- R Uduwerage-Perera 28th May - 8:59pm
I consider this a very worthy investigation, especially if we can demonstrate that our Party has acted totally appropriately, and if not, we have the...
- Chris Rennard 28th May - 8:39pm
The urgent need to register young people by June 7th in order to enable to vote in the referendum was the subject of a Lib...
Sat 28th May 2016
Mon 30th May 2016
Tue 31st May 2016
Thu 2nd Jun 2016
Sun 5th Jun 2016
Thu 16th Jun 2016
Sat 18th Jun 2016
Sat 25th Jun 2016