Clegg faces revolt over ‘putting identity of party at risk’

So reads the headline on the front page of today’s Independent, reporting a letter to Tim Farron, Lib Dem party President, revealed here yesterday:

More than 150 Liberal Democrat activists have warned Nick Clegg he could destroy the party’s liberal identity if he backs government plans to allow the authorities to monitor online activity.

The unprecedented grassroots protest, in which some members have threatened to tear up their party cards, will put the Deputy Prime Minister under pressure to extract more concessions from David Cameron over the controversial “Big Brother” proposals.

You can read Tim Farron’s reply to the letter here.

UPDATE: The paper also contains a letter from The Voice’s Co-Editor Mark Pack on the same subject.

* Newshound: bringing you the best Lib Dem commentary published in print or online.

Read more by or more about .
Bookmark the web address for this page or use the short url http://ldv.org.uk/27990 for Twitter and emails.

• Indy phoned me, as one of the signatories. I refused to be revolting. Will have a look to see whether they used anything I said and how. Suspect they were working down the list of signatories looking for splits.

• John Richardson 7th Apr '12 - 8:33am

Yeah good to see our little letter making the front page even if it is for all the wrong reasons!

• Keith Browning 7th Apr '12 - 4:10pm

I wonder if Nick signed up to the ‘special relationship’ when he met Obama. It seems the Yanks are about to impose even more draconian measures to let the governments spy on us but make it illegal for us to spy on them.

I can now see plane loads of Brits being extradited on the say so of a grey man in the Pentagon.

I guess Dave and Nick are just trying to keep up in the ‘Big Brother’ game of trying to nullify the main benefit to the populus at large of the greatest communication invention in history.

• Andrew Suffield 7th Apr '12 - 10:22pm

Erm. No. Please don’t make things up.

• - yet again, the UK’s wonderful ‘free’ media picking up on half of a story and running away with it. Time they were put under a control order.

• Tony Dawson 8th Apr '12 - 1:40pm
  • Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera 13th Apr '12 - 9:40am

If we as a Party are genuinely committed to “Building a fairer Britain”, then I question how we can support the diminishing of civil rights. Extremists have won, if they are able to turn a democratic society into a totalitarian one.