Does Don Foster like his new government job?

The current edition of The House magazine features our very own Don Foster in full colour on its front page. There’s an interesting article on the legend that is “The Don”, but this little passage, about his job in government, caught my eye:

“One of the fantastic things I did for the first two-and-a-half years of this Government was to represent the Liberal Democrats at film premieres, at football matches, at rugby matches, at plays, at the BAFTA awards, and so on. It was hardly a big sacrifice to lose out first time round. I loved representing the Liberal Democrats in that way. Somebody had to do it. I was prepared to step up to the plate”, he replies, breaking into a mischievous smile. And now?

“All of those opportunities suddenly have passed me by, and I’m now invited to conferences in relation to building regulations. Readers can make their own decisions to whether I totally miss what I did before or not….”

* Paul Walter is a Liberal Democrat activist in Newbury and West Berkshire. He is Photo Editor of Liberal Democrat Voice and blogs at Liberal Burblings.

Read more by or more about .
Bookmark the web address for this page or use the short url http://ldv.org.uk/31437 for Twitter and emails.

• Paul McKeown 12th Nov '12 - 5:52pm

Great interview. Good luck with the ukelele!

• Helen Dudden 12th Nov '12 - 9:37pm

Don I hope this is for new homes in the city, these meetings. On the television this evening there was a programme on the subject of disability, and the lack of housing in the private sector that can be used.

There are many situations that are not welcoming.

We have over 12,000 now on the waiting list, and rising.

• Don Foster MP 19th Nov '12 - 6:39pm

Jean, I am the first to admit – and have said so publicly many times – Andrew did a fantastic job. And he’s continuing to do so, not least in helping and advising me. It’s a great privilege being a Minister and driving forward some of the issues that really matter to me (not least the localism agenda). I am already working closely with colleagues in local government and they – as no doubt will readers of LibDem Voice – will keep me on the straight and narrow.