Lib Dem Voice has polled our members-only forum to discover what Lib Dem members think of various political issues, the Coalition, and the performance of key party figures. Some 570 party members responded, and we’re publishing the full results.
70% say Lib Dems on right course, highest figure since July 2010
LDV asked: Do you think, as a whole, the Liberal Democrats are on the right course or on the wrong track? (Comparison with December’s figures.)
- 70% (+6%) – The right course
- 21% (-6%) – The wrong track
- 9% (n/c) – Don’t know / No opinion
There seems to be a bit more of a spring in the step of Lib Dem members, according to our survey. Seven-in-ten of you believe the party is on the right course, the highest figure in our surveys since July 2010 (when it was 71%). The net figure of +49% is the highest since August 2010. It looks like The Guardian’s Martin Kettle may have had a point: Liberal Democrats can again enjoy the reflection in the mirror.
Nick Clegg’s personal ratings recover to 15-month high
What is your view of Nick Clegg’s performance as Lib Dem leader?
- 17% – Very satisfied
- 51% – Satisfied
Total satisfied = 68% (+3%)
- 20% – Dissatisfied
- 10% – Very dissatisfied
Total dissatisfied = 30% (-3%)
- 2% – Don’t know / No opinion
Our latest survey shows Nick Clegg with a net approval rating among Lib Dem members of +38%, an improvement of 6% on December’s figures. This is double his ratings of a little over a year ago, in January 2011, when Nick’s net rating was +19%; in April 2011 it slumped to +17%.
Our December survey was conducted during the controversy over David Cameron’s European summit ‘veto’ at a time when Nick Clegg was under attack from the right-wing media for perceived inconsistency in his response, and I suspect his personal rating dipped as a result; his net rating was +37% in September 2011, after the party conference. The previous highest net rating for Nick Clegg was +40% in November 2010.
- Over 1,200 Lib Dem paid-up party members are registered with LibDemVoice.org. Some 570 responded to the latest survey, which was conducted between 31st January and 4th February.
- Please note: we make no claims that the survey is fully representative of the Lib Dem membership as a whole. However, LibDemVoice.org’s surveys are the largest independent samples of the views of Lib Dem members across the country, and have in the past accurately predicted the winners of the contest for Party President, and the result of the conference decision to approve the Coalition agreement.
- The full archive of our members’ surveys can be viewed at www.libdemvoice.org/category/ldv-members-poll
* Stephen Tall is Co-Editor of Liberal Democrat Voice, and editor of the 2013 publication, The Coalition and Beyond: Liberal Reforms for the Decade Ahead. He is also a Research Associate for the liberal think-tank CentreForum and writes at his own site, The Collected Stephen Tall.