Sir Fred Goodwin, the former chief executive of the Royal Bank of Scotland who became a focal point for anger over the financial crisis, has obtained a super-injunction banning the media from identifying him as a banker.
The existence of the super-injunction was revealed today by John Hemming, a back-bench Liberal Democrat MP who tabled a question in Parliament about the gagging order.
Normally the media is forbidden from even reporting that a super-injunction exists but Parliamentary privilege allows MPs to speak on the floor of the House of Commons without risk of prosecution.
- LDV’s Sunday Best: our 7 most-read articles this week (The Voice)
- Brexit: The invocation of Article 50 can be reversed (Paul Walter)
- Some questions for More United (Caron Lindsay)
- How Lib Dems are using Pokemon Go (Caron Lindsay)
- Brexit: How we could be in the single market with greater control over immigration – the Adam Smith Institute (Paul Walter)
- Feels different this time: the 2016 Hugos
- Exclusive in next Lib Dem Newswire: Farron's new approach to immigration
- The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester
- How Liberal Democrats can win for the 48%
- I've recently become a Governor at Gunthorpe Primary School!
- Blaydon Vlog No. 1
- Labour's dithering in Gateshead turned into a work of art
- Chopwell and Rowlands Gill Action Day
- Traffic: Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired
- The Blood is the Life for 24-07-2016
- tonyhill 24th Jul - 7:13pm
During the coalition years Paul Barker used to irritate me profoundly with his relentless optimism and slavish loyalty to the leadership. However, he does deserve...
- Glenn 24th Jul - 6:39pm
David, I said little Englander because it's flung around as an insult. I also support the principle Scottish independence if that 's what the people...
- Glenn 24th Jul - 6:26pm
Richard Underhill. Typo, why so rude? I don't watch telly anymore. So I didn't see it.
- Eddie Sammon 24th Jul - 6:03pm
I've checked out the website and I'm not really a fan. For instance: when net-immigration is at 300,000 per year the best message is not...
- Richard Underhill 24th Jul - 5:55pm
Glenn: spell her name right. Andrew Marr said on BBC1 that she supported Remain and she startled. Keeping her head down by getting on with...
- Lorenzo Cherin 24th Jul - 5:31pm
David Raw Actually , while I do not share Genn s position on the EU , he is talking specifically about England , and as...
Sun 24th Jul 2016
Tue 26th Jul 2016
Thu 28th Jul 2016
Sat 30th Jul 2016
Mon 1st Aug 2016
Sat 6th Aug 2016
Wed 10th Aug 2016
Fri 12th Aug 2016
Thu 18th Aug 2016
Sun 21st Aug 2016