Sir Fred Goodwin, the former chief executive of the Royal Bank of Scotland who became a focal point for anger over the financial crisis, has obtained a super-injunction banning the media from identifying him as a banker.
The existence of the super-injunction was revealed today by John Hemming, a back-bench Liberal Democrat MP who tabled a question in Parliament about the gagging order.
Normally the media is forbidden from even reporting that a super-injunction exists but Parliamentary privilege allows MPs to speak on the floor of the House of Commons without risk of prosecution.
- Opinion: Our liberal identity crisis (Steve Bradley)
- Poverty at its lowest since 2004/5? (Joe Otten)
- LDV’s Sunday Best: our 7 most-read articles this week (The Voice)
- Opinion: Nelson Mandela: A personal tribute (Parmjit Singh Gill)
- Opinion: The inspiration of Nelson Mandela (Issan Ghazni)
- Ian Swales MP to host second public flooding meeting in Redcar this week
- With Christmas approaching how you can avoid being the victim of crime
- How a country the size of Russia went to the polls this weekend without us noticing
- Launching the Digital Politico shop
- Shelter Scotland Christmas Campaign @shelterscotland
- The Paddy Effect: a poll for Lib Dems
- How small changes make a big difference at Christmas
- Akaash Maharaj - News: Corruption Declared a Crime Against Humanity
- 'bad things the Lib Dems have stopped the Tories doing in government' 7
- What journalists did before Twitter
- Jonathan Hunt 9th Dec - 5:33pm
Time was when mere mention the word Community would elicit a round of applause at any Liberal Assembly. Then came Thatcher’s Community Charge, and seekers...
- jedibeeftrix 9th Dec - 5:33pm
"Does anyone know why the Liberal Democrats exist ?" To answer the question: what is the purpose of the labour party now that the money...
- Simon Oliver 9th Dec - 5:29pm
What I hear people saying is that we are a coalition of the underdogs, joining forces to become, jointly, top dog. The only problem with...
- JohnTilley 9th Dec - 5:15pm
Tory modernisers ??? Contradiction in terms. Some people in the Westminster Bubble might have been fooled by the Public Relations eye-wash that Cameron and chums...
- Bill Chapman 9th Dec - 5:12pm
More interesting than the results are the non-results. There is a by-election for two seats to represent Mostyn Ward on Llandudno Town Council on Thursday...
- RC 9th Dec - 5:05pm
@ John Tilley "This is why Liberals know that power is taken and kept from individuals and their communities by those Giants (Beveridge, for effect,...
Fri 13th Dec 2013
Sun 15th Dec 2013
Thu 19th Dec 2013
Thu 2nd Jan 2014
Fri 3rd Jan 2014