Sir Fred Goodwin, the former chief executive of the Royal Bank of Scotland who became a focal point for anger over the financial crisis, has obtained a super-injunction banning the media from identifying him as a banker.
The existence of the super-injunction was revealed today by John Hemming, a back-bench Liberal Democrat MP who tabled a question in Parliament about the gagging order.
Normally the media is forbidden from even reporting that a super-injunction exists but Parliamentary privilege allows MPs to speak on the floor of the House of Commons without risk of prosecution.
- Catherine Bearder MEP speaks… Britain after Brexit (Catherine Bearder MEP)
- Opinion: Why I am backing Tim Farron (Liz Makinson)
- Opinion: Five suggestions for our new leader (Peter Jones)
- Opinion: Who will be paying if the government drops free over-75s TV licences: the BBC or the over-75s? (Jamie Shaw-Stewart)
- Opinion: Regaining lost trust – the five-year campaign trail ahead (Jim Williams)
- Have the Tories backtracked on Nick Clegg's flagship tax-free childcare scheme?
- Why EVEL is not the West Lothian answer?
- How to do community politics in the 21st Century.
- Sefton Digital Library
- July Kent Police Open Day
- Sefton Green Belt the staggering new stats!
- Batmanghelidjh represents the killer question for Whitehall
- "That's 1 less to worry about - next please" - some Britons respond to the death of a fellow human being
- Give a man a fish - a political examination.
- Why politicians should lead - and why instant, internet-powered democracy isn't so hot
- Psi 7th Jul - 4:08pm
expats “Council Housing is the only answer” I disagree, Housing Associations are an option and one I prefer HA to Councils as you have fewer...
- paul barker 7th Jul - 4:05pm
Welcome Peter, 5 good points & I would add a 6th _ lets not overestimate Labour. Older members will complain that I have been predicting...
- Mark Smulian 7th Jul - 4:02pm
Expats: "I do not accept there is a shortage of skilled labour; I advertised for a builder to put in an extra bathroom and had...
- Psi 7th Jul - 3:57pm
As with other I am disturbed by the characterisation of Housing Associations as “public assets” they are not, they are private institutions (yes mutuals are...
- Peter Chivall 7th Jul - 3:55pm
Ian Sanderson has the nub of it. A HoC elected by FPTP cannot be seen as competent to change its procedures to select out groups...
- Joe Otten 7th Jul - 3:27pm
John, thanks for offering to answer my questions, but your comment seems to have got cut off during the ranty bit before you got to...
Wed 8th Jul 2015
Thu 9th Jul 2015
Fri 10th Jul 2015
Sat 11th Jul 2015
Sun 12th Jul 2015
Thu 16th Jul 2015
Sat 18th Jul 2015
Sun 19th Jul 2015
Mon 20th Jul 2015
Thu 23rd Jul 2015
Sat 25th Jul 2015
Sun 26th Jul 2015
Mon 27th Jul 2015
Thu 30th Jul 2015
Sat 1st Aug 2015