[Conservative MP for Enfield North] Nick de Bois cross-checked the names of constituents seeking his help to stay in the UK and found 21 out of a sample 100 had signed up for voting rights.
The Tory backbencher is calling on ministers to tighten registration rules, claiming it is harder to get a library card than a ballot paper…
The MP said some people get on the electoral roll just to obtain credit cards or commit financial fraud.
- We're heading for a minority Labour government backed by the SNP
- Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems can be very proud of themselves
- 38 Degrees get it badly wrong on Lib Dem funding for NHS - but don't do nearly enough to put it right
- Alex Salmond postpones US book tour as Christine Jardine's campaign goes from strength to strength
- Wow, Labour really are pandering to UKIP, aren't they?
- Opinion: We should be alert to this threat to Europe! (Chris Bowers)
- AIDS organisations and Elton John support Liberal Democrat candidate Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett over HIV disclosure (Caron Lindsay)
- Something nasty – why the Tories aren’t making headway (Paul Walter)
- P-37: What are the Liberal Democrats talking about today? Mental Health and the manifesto for the mind (The Voice)
- Former LGBT+ chair Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett becomes Britain’s first openly HIV positive candidate (Caron Lindsay)
- Portsmouth Labour Club: looking as it should
- The big problem with Labour's zero hours contract policy: it could make things even worse
- "Comfort polling", Lord Ashcroft? Okay, here's a simple challenge then
- From the City Council ... Adoption and Fostering
- Updated Lib Dem constituency polling scorecard: and the flaw in Ashcroft's evidence
- Labour have zero credibility on zero hours contracts
- Green belt "under siege"
- Palestine & Israel
- Philip Smith selected by Lib Dems to fight Ashfield
- Labour attack on Lib Dem drug policy slammed as medieval
- john 2nd Apr - 10:37am
When the history books have been rewritten the seat loss of the Lib Dems will be put down to a faction of the Lib Dems...
- Sadie Smith 2nd Apr - 10:31am
You will give them ideas!
- Tim Oliver 2nd Apr - 10:31am
John - first of all, is it really surprising that the most powerful states would dominate a block of states? That is not corporatism, that...
- John Roffey 2nd Apr - 10:18am
Tim Oliver 2nd Apr '15 - 10:03am Tim - are you entirely sure that the 'EU itself' is not dominated by corporatism? Most accept that...
- Tony Rowan-Wicks 2nd Apr - 10:18am
At least Clegg opened eyes for issues of transparency to be resolved before any future coalition !
- David 2nd Apr - 10:10am
There are some good things in the act and is certainly progress on the inaction under the previous Labour government. Lots still do though. At...