[Conservative MP for Enfield North] Nick de Bois cross-checked the names of constituents seeking his help to stay in the UK and found 21 out of a sample 100 had signed up for voting rights.
The Tory backbencher is calling on ministers to tighten registration rules, claiming it is harder to get a library card than a ballot paper…
The MP said some people get on the electoral roll just to obtain credit cards or commit financial fraud.
- Opinion: Paddy Ashdown’s appeal to Green and Labour (Roger Lake)
- Opinion: The twin intellectual conceits that damned the Liberal Democrats’ election hopes in 2015 (David Thorpe)
- Opinion: Bill – A Factual Postscript (Richard Edwards)
- The Liberal Democrat party should be able to recall its own peers (Paul Walter)
- Opinion: Ending the northern power cut (Sarah Noble)
- Disused railway stations in the East Riding of Yorkshire
- Norman Lamb and the right to die
- Queer Laboratory Life: Recognising the work of LGBT scientists
- A Farron victory is necessary, but it's not sufficient
- Secret ballot? Whatevs.
- The Future of Democracy
- Freedom of information and ip&e - FoI is not 'bizarre' as council leader claims
- Mike Brearley and Michael Vaughan on cricket captaincy
- Lamb for Lib Dem leader
- Lib Dem leadership race: bar chart
- Eddie Sammon 30th Jun - 3:08am
John, by "hard-headed" I mean "what wins sustainable votes". Regards
- Mark Green 30th Jun - 2:07am
I don't see that a single issue united anti-Tory party could possibly work for the reasons that Dal pointed out. And while I think formal...
- T-J 30th Jun - 2:07am
There should be agreement between the parties to bring about electoral reform. Certainly, there should be a pact between the smaller parties not to enter...
- Sammy O'Neill 30th Jun - 12:55am
This idea is so unfeasible, it's ridiculous. If we optimistically assume the Tories didn't win, In the time it would take to amend the voting...
- Stewart 30th Jun - 12:51am
I'm not hugely inspired. The leaflets I've received are very telling: - Farron's has that cosy old school sandals and leather patches feel to it,...
- kevin 30th Jun - 12:38am
Roger Lake What's the point of having one let alone two elections when any change in the voting system would need to pass a referendum...
Tue 30th Jun 2015
Wed 1st Jul 2015
Thu 2nd Jul 2015
Fri 3rd Jul 2015
Sat 4th Jul 2015
Sun 5th Jul 2015
Mon 6th Jul 2015
Wed 8th Jul 2015
Thu 9th Jul 2015
Fri 10th Jul 2015
Sat 11th Jul 2015
Sun 12th Jul 2015
Thu 16th Jul 2015
Sat 18th Jul 2015
Sun 19th Jul 2015
Thu 23rd Jul 2015
Sat 25th Jul 2015
Sun 26th Jul 2015
Mon 27th Jul 2015