Despite having sections on economic recovery, tackling crime, quality of life and “A Mayor for all Londoners”, here are some things the report omits:
Boris’s broken manifesto promises:
1. Keep the Tube open for an extra hour on Friday and Saturday nights
2. Negotiate a no-strike deal with Tube unions. (Commuters to London today will know the reality of this.)
3. Convene an “emergency” public summit of train operating companies to deliver Oyster to train services
4. Introduce an interactive, real-time bus map
5. Fund four rape crisis centres (the promised funding required is 50% short)
6. Build 50,000 new affordable homes (this pledge has been dropped)
7. Support the Low Emission Zone (has suspended its third phase)
8. Create a Cabinet for London.
And what he has done:
· Put up public transport fares by 6 – 11%
· Abandoned major transport projects in the poorest parts of London, such as the DLR extension to Dagenham and the Cross River tram from South London to Camden.
· Scrapped plans to ensure that 50% of all new housing be affordable
· Axed £5.5m funding to skills programmes, expecting the boroughs to pick up the tab
· Cut funding in the environment by £500,000
· Suspended the Low Emission Zone
· Refused to show leadership on strategic planning matters
How will Boris explain these today?