LDVideo: David Laws on the future of the coalition

A couple of weeks ago, David Laws made a speech at Parliament, organised by the Bright Blue think tank, expressing his views on the future of the coalition.

You can watch the very interesting speech below, or on YouTube here.

* Nick Thornsby is Thursday Editor of Liberal Democrat Voice and blogs here.

Read more by or more about .
This entry was posted in YouTube.
Bookmark the web address for this page or use the short url http://ldv.org.uk/27861 for Twitter and emails.

• Bald Reynard 29th Mar '12 - 4:02pm

Well now it’s pretty clear. To quote DL, the terms ‘Progressive Conservative’ and, “small ‘l’ liberal” are interchangeable. He sees no difference between himself, a ‘liberal’ and many (progressive) Conservatives – presumably most of the ‘Cameroonians’. He speaks so glowingly of the Coalition. Listening to Mr Laws, I really find it so difficult to believe that I’m a member of the same party as him. Will he redress the situation – by actually joining his ‘natural allies’ in the Tories – or should I do it, by leaving a Party which I’ve been a member of for 30 years (far longer than David Laws, I would imagine). I don’t think the current ‘broad Church’ of economic liberals / progressive Conservatives (like DL and most Lib Dems in the Cabinet) and social liberals can really hold for 3 more years , can it ?!

• This group is obviously the latest incarnation of the One Nation Tories that Thatcher tried to suffocate, but how can anyone describe themselves as a “progressive conservative”? The two words mean mutually exclusive things.

Still I like this think tank’s tag line: “progressive > conservative”. They do know what the “>” sign means, don’t they?

• I note the complete lack of criticism of the Tory ‘cock-ups’ on LDV.

We have ministers running around like headless chickens, conflicting stories on just about everything and, from LDV, silence.
    Why no separate voice? After all, as per Cameron’s famous put down, “It’s not as if we’re brothers”.

• Nick (not Clegg) 30th Mar '12 - 1:13pm

@ Bald Reynold

I understand and sympathise with your predicament. Having decided that I am no longer at home as a Liberal Democrat. I have, perforce, to identify myself as a small l liberal, but I am certainly not a conservative, whether “progressive” or otherwise.

• David Evans 30th Mar '12 - 4:28pm

When I listen to this, I get such a sense of deja vu. “National Liberals here I come. Right is where I started from.”

You hum it and I’ll play it.

Paddy must be in despair.

• The main use of Progressive as a political label in the UK was for the joint Liberal and Labour platform for the London County Council about a century ago. The Conservatives rans as Moderates.

• Nick (not Clegg) 30th Mar '12 - 5:01pm

@ Bald Reynard

My apologies for misspelling your name.