Lib Dem campaign buttons for your website available once again

A new set of automatically updated campaign buttons is now available for Liberal Democrat websites.

As I wrote in September, during my time working at party HQ doing online campaigning one of our most successful projects (cooked up with the help of Rob Fenwick and Martin Tod) was the ‘campaign buttons’ – a simple piece of code which let bloggers and those with other websites easily display campaign adverts and news stories from the party.

It was a great way for the party to be able to push out quickly and widely adverts for new campaigns, policy launches and the like, whilst for those running sites it made for some automatically updated and useful content which they did not have to look after.

Since I left, the campaign buttons rather fell out of favour. Although the code is still running, zombie-like continuing to churn through the motions, the buttons themselves have not been updated for an age. As a result they now display a mix of broken images and trips down memory lane, such as the old campaign to encourage people to look up their MP’s voting record on Iraq.

Chatting to people at party HQ, there aren’t any plans to revive them. That’s a shame, although understandable as there is other internet and IT work taking a higher priority.

On my usual basis that regretting other people’s (in)action should be leavened by taking practical action yourself, I’m therefore resurrecting the idea, with the help of coding by the as ever excellent Simon Dickson. The new button feed isn’t an official party service, but it’s available to all to use and I’ll do my best to make it reliable and useful.

It’s primarily outward looking, so the content it will feature is designed to tell the public what the Liberal Democrats have done and why the party should be supported, making it suitable – for example – for local councillor, local campaigners or MP websites.

To add it to your own site, just add the following script in the appropriate location:

<script
type=”text/javascript”
src=”http://libdemwidget.markpack.org.uk“></script>

(For example, if you have a self-hosted WordPress site you can add a widget in an appropriate place and put this code in it.)

You can see an example in action at http://libdemwidget.markpack.org.uk/test/.

* Mark Pack has written 101 Ways To Win An Election and produces a monthly newsletter about the Liberal Democrats.

Read more by or more about , , or .
This entry was posted in Online politics.
Bookmark the web address for this page or use the short url http://ldv.org.uk/31131 for Twitter and emails.

• Jonathan Featonby 29th Oct '12 - 3:04pm

Great stuff Mark. Will these be available for the Prater Raines sites (for those of us who aren’t great with script)?

• Caron Lindsay Caron Lindsay 30th Oct '12 - 9:08am

I tried this on blogger and it didn’t work. Any tips?

• Jonathan Featonby 30th Oct '12 - 6:37pm

Thanks for the help Tim. It’s now up and running on Sarah Teather’s site http://brentlibdems.org.uk/en/

• Max Wilkinson 4th Nov '12 - 7:07pm

Hi Mark. Of the dazzling array of widgets available on my wordpress site, none of them seem to be appropriate. Could you give me some advice, please?