Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Wikipedia “edit-a-thon” on Liberal History (Janet Berridge)
- Mental health awareness was one of the reasons I became a Liberal Democrat (Dean Moore)
- Chosen trauma and memories of the war (Mark Argent)
- WATCH Michelle Obama endorse Hillary: “A leader worthy of all our kids’ promise” (Caron Lindsay)
- The cultural loss from Brexit (Chris Key)
- Trudeau on Trump
- Merseyrail – Labour-run Merseytravel Committee needs to be clear what they are looking for in terms of guards on new train fleet
- Sandgate Royal British Legion Appeal for New Members
- Template Press Release: Macmillan's World's Biggest Coffee Morning
- The Blood is the Life for 29-07-2016
- Could we be entering an era of short prime ministerial reigns?
- The silly season kicks in as Plaid Cymru call for separate Welsh foreign policy
- Residents take on Fight against City Council & Redrow Homes
- Ludlow Buttercross - an ace museum with a nice town attached
- My must-reads this week July 29, 2016
- Geoffrey Payne 29th Jul - 12:56pm
According to David Laws book on the Coalition she was a particularly hard line uncompromising Tory. And he also recalled that she proposed the motion...
- AM 29th Jul - 12:34pm
Thank you for the insight Caroline - it's been a turbulent few months nationally, and it's really interesting to see how that's affected you locally....
- Jayne Mansfield 29th Jul - 11:46am
@ Lorenzo Cherin, I apologise for not responding earlier. Music is of course a matter of person taste. Ironically, I believe that it is the...
- Tim13 29th Jul - 11:37am
Ian Patterson According to analysis by Middle Englander on Vote UK Forum: LD 44 Ind 34 Tory 30 Lab 8 Mebyon Kernow 4 Green 1...
- Huw Dawson 29th Jul - 11:21am
Mark Wright's numbers are exceptionally cheering. An average of 22% in by-election polls! Three times our GE polling. What that shows is that there is...
- JamesG 29th Jul - 11:17am
Meanwhile in the real world 26 countries now want a deal with Britain, including btw Germany. http://order-order.com/2016/07/29/brexit-breaking-free-global-markets/
Sat 30th Jul 2016
Mon 1st Aug 2016
Wed 3rd Aug 2016
Thu 4th Aug 2016
Sat 6th Aug 2016
Wed 10th Aug 2016
Thu 11th Aug 2016
Fri 12th Aug 2016
Sat 13th Aug 2016
Tue 16th Aug 2016
Thu 18th Aug 2016
Sun 21st Aug 2016