Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- The Sun story about Chris Huhne that was a total invention (and which the other papers happily copied)
- 11 Liberal Democrat MPs vote for registrars to be exempt from marrying same sex couples
- How Liberal Democrat MPs voted on same sex marriage amendments
- Same sex Marriage: another Liberal Democrat victory
- Opinion: Why Lib Dems should support the Referendum on the EU – and let’s have it before 2015
- Opinion: The media have failed the public over the Woolwich atrocity (Ewan Hoyle)
- Baroness Sarah Ludford MEP writes…An EU-US trade deal would be good for Europe and for Britain (Baroness Sarah Ludford MEP)
- Opinion: An EU exit would be bad for Britain; it is our job to explain why (Richard Davis)
- Opinion: Some thoughts on the NHS from a recent patient (William Hobhouse)
- “Is the coalition government doing enough to encourage social mobility?” (Stephen Tall)
- Question Time Liveblog 23/5/13
- A day in the life of a Stockport Councillor
- New north Kingston secondary school - Goldsmith tries to claim credit for Tories
- Just because you murder someone, it doesn't mean your views are worth hearing
- We should turn Britain into a tax haven
- Project 6000 comes to Windsor Avenue
- A chillingly bizarre aspect of yesterday's ranting butcher video
- New Metrolink line opens up from Parrs Wood
- San Francisco in 1951 as seen from a U.S. Navy submarine
- Green Belt - Proposals to build on it from Sefton Council could see Maghull's population rise by 20%!
- Eddie Sammon 24th May - 12:49am
No Richard, you are wrong. People will look back in 200 years time and understand that people opposed it on a religious basis, not because...
- Michael Parsons 24th May - 12:27am
First I don't see any signs of a "post austerity Europe" and the scarcely hidden panic among the IMF etc. as to the consequences of...
- Richard Wingfield 24th May - 12:23am
@ Eddie Salmon: Same sex marriage is not a passing fad nor an ideology, It is much more akin to social issues like granting the...
- Stephen W 24th May - 12:16am
I'm entirely with you. I only say GET ON WITH IT! Why has this taken so long? And how much longer must it take? Economies...
- Eddie Sammon 24th May - 12:08am
I've just read The New Statesman piece saying don't give the killers the microphone they crave; however if you don't let someone express themselves through...
Sun 26th May 2013
Tue 28th May 2013
Wed 29th May 2013
Thu 30th May 2013
Fri 31st May 2013
Sat 1st Jun 2013
Mon 3rd Jun 2013
Thu 6th Jun 2013
Fri 7th Jun 2013
Sat 8th Jun 2013
Sun 9th Jun 2013
Thu 13th Jun 2013
Sat 15th Jun 2013
Tue 18th Jun 2013
Thu 20th Jun 2013