Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- The PM is building a wall, and Northern Ireland is going to pay (Ciaran McGonagle)
- Observations of an expat: The hip-thigh bone theory of the world (Tom Arms)
- May’s “Hard Brexit” causes tensions in previously strong UK-Dutch relationship (Bernard Aris)
- Claire Tyler writes: Breaking through the class ceiling (Claire Tyler)
- Federal Policy Committee Report – 18 January 2017 (Geoff Payne)
- Is Trump's honeymoon over already?
- Blether Tay-Gither - Storytelling in Dundee
- Lib Dems: English Executive - 21st January 2017
- Interesting Links for 21-01-2017
- More positive Lib Dem coverage in the Journal
- Brexit Britain's "America First" trade deal
- "I warned David Cameron over failing Brexit strategy" - Owen Jones interviews Nick Clegg
- Labour set to lose Copeland "by thousands of votes"
- A Deltic with snow on its boots
- Save our Libraries - Sign the Petition
- P. J. 21st Jan - 10:39am
@ Expats 'Keir Starmer has a point; we do seem only interested in overturning the referendum result'. IMO it would be wise to listen to...
- Mike S 21st Jan - 10:34am
"Then Keir Starmer, who is supposed to be the sensible one, had a go at the Lib Dems in the Guardian for not appealing to...
- bob sayer 21st Jan - 10:34am
Why when we as a party start to rightly get aggressive about politics, not the usual "if you dont mind sir, but we have a...
- Antony Watts 21st Jan - 10:34am
Policy is simple: The EU is the best for Britain, Remain. Now we ca go on and explain why geo-politically, economically and morally the EU...
- james 21st Jan - 10:17am
The Lib Dems don't believe there is a problem. If only the people at the bottom got in line and started believing in the EU...
- expats 21st Jan - 10:09am
"Labour lashes out at Lib Dems"...How dare they!!!!!!!! Corbyn writes, " Lib Dems rule out working with Labour because of our Brexit stance, but would...
Wed 25th Jan 2017
Mon 30th Jan 2017
Tue 31st Jan 2017
Thu 2nd Feb 2017
Fri 3rd Feb 2017
Mon 6th Feb 2017
Wed 8th Feb 2017
Thu 9th Feb 2017
Thu 16th Feb 2017