Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Ed Davey MP writes…Signed, sealed and delivered, an ambitious climate change deal for Europe (Edward Davey MP)
- Catherine Bearder MEP writes… EU climate targets thanks to Ed Davey and Lib Dems (Catherine Bearder MEP)
- Opinion: The utter and total failure of the political left (Matthew Huntbach)
- Lord Paul Tyler writes…Farce in the Lords (Paul Tyler)
- Norman Lamb MP writes…Liberal Democrats will fight relentlessly for NHS to have funding it needs (Norman Lamb MP)
- Pupil Deprivation Grant evaluation shows 'significant' new support for the disadvantaged
- Johann Lamont to resign as Scottish Labour leader
- Status Quo and a glimpse of the geriatric ward
- A last trip round Kingston's Hawker factory
- Last train to Folkestone Harbour
- A little night music...
- Six of the Best 470
- It's time for another absurd microstate... Welcome to country number 56, the Vatican City
- Moving a chieftan tank through the streets of Newcastle
- eFocus Whickham no.90
- Glenn 25th Oct - 3:00am
Mattew, The lib Dems have lost more votes by trying to be "realistic" according to the prevalent political orthodoxy. The SNP in contrast continue to...
- Adam Robertson 25th Oct - 2:21am
I think having Alex Salmond back in the House of Commons, will invigorate politics in both north of the border and south of the border....
- Matthew Huntbach 25th Oct - 1:26am
Eddie Sammon I just want to make a quick point that if you try to set up a business in some sectors then it really...
- JohnTilley 25th Oct - 1:24am
I would urge LDV readers to check out a range of reports of the results of this deal. The piece above is, to say the...
- Exiled Scot 25th Oct - 1:17am
The problem Caron is we haven't just started surrendering our liberty we've spent 15 years giving it away meekly under Blair and Brown (and now...
- Matthew Huntbach 25th Oct - 1:16am
Glenn According to the election material the Tuition fee pledge was fully costed. It is not up to students or Joe Public to give politicians...
Sat 25th Oct 2014
Sun 26th Oct 2014
Tue 28th Oct 2014
Thu 30th Oct 2014
Fri 31st Oct 2014
Sat 1st Nov 2014
Tue 4th Nov 2014
Thu 6th Nov 2014
Sat 15th Nov 2014
Mon 17th Nov 2014
Thu 20th Nov 2014
Fri 21st Nov 2014