Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Lord Rennard's membership of the Liberal Democrats restored by Party Committee
- Why Lib Dems shouldn't keep schtum about tuition fees
- Opinion: What Andy Burnham didn’t tell you about NHS privatisation
- Opinion: Post Rennard, what should the party do?
- Gaza: Senior Lib Dems speak out against Hamas, urge continuing ceasefire; and Lib Dem Friends of Israel issue statement
- Former Liberal Democrat MP John Barrett says he’s voting Yes in the Independence Referendum (Caron Lindsay)
- Sal Brinton writes…Post Rennard: living up to our liberal values (Sal Brinton)
- Opinion: Post Rennard, what should the party do? (Linda Jack)
- Opinion: Liberal Democrats for independence (Denis Mollison)
- Tim Farron: I want the Liberal Democrats to become the “gold standard” for the way voluntary organisations treat volunteers and staff (Tim Farron MP)
- Ringfencing the Science Research Budget
- Lib Dems plan tax cut to over 6 million pensioners!
- Food swapping event
- Lessons from Rennard #2: the party needs to recognise three levels of misbehaviour
- Erik XIV lived here...
- Ambulance delay – Maghull
- Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin by Damian McBride
- Channel 4 to screen Nick Clegg drama in run up to general election
- Do MPs speak too much?
- Could your children qualify for free school travel
- RC 21st Aug - 6:58pm
Sounds like he's indulging in a heady mix of wishful thinking and opportunism on a wide range of issues. The risks and unknowns for iScotland...
- Psi 21st Aug - 6:39pm
Tim13 "Thatcherite / Reaganite is not a lazy shorthand. It is direct and specific, certainly the way I use it." So what is this specific...
- Mark Platt 21st Aug - 6:29pm
I hope Lady P reads these comments, here are mine. Dear Pauline, you should never be a token, you should never sit at the back,...
- Nonconformistradical 21st Aug - 5:57pm
"If only we were turning people away from being on local party executives. In the real world many local parties are struggling to get people...
- JoeBourke 21st Aug - 5:38pm
jedibeeftrix, the conclusion to the Royal Society Report, while acknowledging the uncertainties that exist around the estimates of the magnitude and regional variation of climate...
- Richard Dean 21st Aug - 5:36pm
@Simon McGrath Have you considered the chicken and the egg? In the real world, maybe it's the evident gender imbalance that is the reason why...
Thu 21st Aug 2014
Fri 22nd Aug 2014
Sat 23rd Aug 2014
Mon 25th Aug 2014
Thu 28th Aug 2014
Fri 29th Aug 2014
Sat 30th Aug 2014
Sun 31st Aug 2014
Thu 4th Sep 2014
Sat 6th Sep 2014
Tue 9th Sep 2014
Thu 11th Sep 2014
Sat 13th Sep 2014
Tue 16th Sep 2014
Wed 17th Sep 2014