Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Jo Swinson writes…Dissolution honours make the contribution of women look invisible (Jo Swinson)
- Lord Jim Wallace writes: New Lib Dem colleagues will campaign with me to reform House of Lords (Jim Wallace)
- The crowded centre-left (Joe Otten)
- How would Jeremy Corbyn actually lead the Labour party? (Paul Walter)
- The Glass Ceiling Is Higher, Not Broken (Rebecca Plenderleith)
- The Story of Kullervo, by J.R.R. Tolkien, ed. Verlyn Flieger
- Changing behaviour
- Alistair Darling: From the International Marxist Group to the Lords
- The Shepherd's Crown
- Thursday reading
- 8 points about the Lib Dem honours - and one member I'm ashamed to be associated with
- There isn't a migration crisis - only a migration opportunity
- The Weeping Time
- ALDC at Conference: Summary
- Lib Dems call for TfGM to Get Me There by Christmas
- Richard Stallard 28th Aug - 3:30am
Looking at the MPs, it's obvious that deep down the LDs don't have any time for women. It's all just fine words and posturing. Eight...
- Richard Stallard 28th Aug - 3:12am
"Put the retired county Colonels in charge of dishing out a gong" A good idea but since most of the old county regiments have now...
- Michael BG 28th Aug - 3:07am
It appears to me that the majority of voters are concerned about themselves and their immediate family. If someone is well off they might consider...
- Chris_sh 28th Aug - 1:42am
@George Potter Until the recent role reversal, the SNP were a minor party and wouldn't have got much public exposure. Even now they won't get...
- Chris_sh 28th Aug - 1:35am
@Matthew Huntbach I know that you have been talking about this for a very long time, but surely there are other issues as well, it...
- Michael BG 28th Aug - 1:27am
Mark Argent raises an interesting issue and links this to barriers in society generally. Of course there are other groups of people who struggle to...
Sat 29th Aug 2015
Sun 30th Aug 2015
Tue 1st Sep 2015
Thu 3rd Sep 2015
Fri 4th Sep 2015
Sat 5th Sep 2015
Tue 8th Sep 2015
Wed 9th Sep 2015
Thu 10th Sep 2015
Fri 11th Sep 2015
Thu 17th Sep 2015
Sat 19th Sep 2015
Thu 24th Sep 2015