Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Extra push for Liz Leffman in Witney
- Nick Clegg shows why he is such a credible, authoritative leader of the opposition to May's "hard brexit"
- Another Thursday night, more Lib Dem GAINS from Labour and Conservatives
- Boris's pro-EU article highlights the stupidity of Theresa May's hard Brexit approach
- Independent: "The Lib Dems could steal David Cameron's seat tomorrow"
- Shas Sheehan challenges the government over Calais refugee crisis (Suzanne Fletcher)
- Lessons for Syria on post-conflict reconstruction (Ciaran McGonagle)
- Independent: “The Lib Dems could steal David Cameron’s seat tomorrow” (Caron Lindsay)
- We Must Understand the Terrifying Logic of Theresa May’s ‘Right-Wing Socialism’ (Jonathan Ferguson)
- Rage or reason? Two reviews from Miranda Green (Joe Otten)
- Councillors Advice Centre - Thursday 27th October
- BREAKING... Tensions revealed in Tories' Witney campaign
- Ludlow maternity unit to reopen - this is great news
- Refugees: can Britain fall any lower?
- A Liberal Britain is a country where...
- Delivering in Ryton
- Alan Turing Law Pardoning Gays For Crimes They Didn't Commit
- Appalling racial behaviour
- Ludlow maternity unit crisis to be resolved in next ten days says health chief
- The UK public love wind power and they don't even know it
- TonyJ 20th Oct - 9:33pm
Like John, I hadn't seen Helen for a long time, and I didn't know her particularly well. But she was the archetypal LibDem activist. Solid,...
- Simon Shaw 20th Oct - 9:21pm
@Peter "The Lib Dems are surely not major supporters of parliamentary democracy given the party’s willingness to transfer sovereignty to the EU and its unelected...
- Ciaran McGonagle 20th Oct - 8:52pm
There is a very reasonable argument that the US have impeded the development of the ICC. I can write an article about this if you...
- Eddie Sammon 20th Oct - 8:23pm
Well Joseph, that just looks like one law for some and another for others. Illiberal.
- Barry 20th Oct - 7:41pm
Re Daniel Walker, your policy of supporting proportional representation is a good one. We do need to get rid of the archaic and clearly not...
- DJ 20th Oct - 7:30pm
"though it perhaps serves the purposes of those seeking any excuse for a second independence poll." If the Lib Dems do want to be the...
Thu 20th Oct 2016
Fri 21st Oct 2016
Sat 22nd Oct 2016
Wed 26th Oct 2016
Sat 29th Oct 2016
Thu 3rd Nov 2016
Wed 9th Nov 2016
Fri 11th Nov 2016
Tue 15th Nov 2016