Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- The Times: "Lib Dems are great survivors"
- Willie Rennie MSP writes...You wouldn't put UKIP in charge of Europe, so you wouldn't put the SNP in charge of the UK
- Opinion: Float like a butterfly, vote like a xxx?
- Lord Wallace of Saltaire writes....Liberal Democrats' investment in education has been socially progressive
- Opinion: Liberal Democrats should support abolishing the Monarchy – and it is the right time to do so
- Lord Tim Clement-Jones writes…A record number of councils are calling for a clampdown on Fixed Odds Betting Terminals – the Government must act (Tim Clement-Jones)
- We need to be careful about the SNP and coalitions (Caron Lindsay)
- Ed Davey MP writes… Green energy auction paves way for 27 new renewables projects and thousands of green jobs across the UK (Edward Davey MP)
- The LDV debate: Should politicians release their tax returns? Part Two (The Voice)
- Baroness Jenny Randerson writes…Optimism and determination of Welsh campaign teams is impressive (Jenny Randerson)
- An early Adam Curtis documentary on system building
- Yesterday's speech about the role of an MP
- National Union of Boot and Shoe Operatives building, Leicester
- Why Nick Clegg will hold on to Sheffield Hallam
- Mental health – We need to invest in it
- Tories lost in fantasy land on badger cull again
- Drink Levers Morning Glory Coffee
- How do I get a by-election timed on the same day as the General elections?
- Officers Group 27 February 2015
- Shropshire Council makes shameful decision on town and parish council grant
- Ian Sanderson (RM3) 26th Feb - 11:25pm
'Exactly how much Xmas bonus is it you want?' Personally, zero would be fine by me, but then I have a fairly generous occupational pension...
- John McHugo 26th Feb - 10:35pm
Toby - I'm glad you agree that recognition is probably due now. You also say it should be "within the 1967 borders subject to agreed...
- Jasper Gerard 26th Feb - 10:29pm
Very sad news. Touching and charmingly written obit Ed. J
- ATF 26th Feb - 10:21pm
UKIP Kiddie We'll see who has more MPs after the election...
- David-1 26th Feb - 9:57pm
As there happens to be a fairly direct link between a politician's pecuniary interests and the policies he or she can be expected to support,...
- David-1 26th Feb - 9:53pm
Ideally these places wouldn't exist at all. But even if a full measure of liberty allows for the possibility that such places can exist, there's...
Fri 27th Feb 2015
Sat 28th Feb 2015
Sun 1st Mar 2015
Mon 2nd Mar 2015
Wed 4th Mar 2015
Sat 7th Mar 2015
Sun 8th Mar 2015
Wed 11th Mar 2015
Fri 13th Mar 2015
Sat 14th Mar 2015
Wed 18th Mar 2015