Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Lib Dem MPs were right not to play Labour's silly games over the Bedroom Tax
- Our worst nightmare? Peter Kellner's scenario 3: "Lib Dems choose who's the PM"
- Vince speaks out against "devastating and ideologically driven" Tory spending cuts plan
- Opinion: Universal Basic Income is the way forward for the Liberal Democrats
- Dear Liberal Democrat MPs: Judicial Review restrictions are a messy compromise too far.
- Paul Tyler writes… In defence of piecemeal (Paul Tyler)
- Cochrane review: Vaping can help you quit smoking (Joe Otten)
- Opinion: Universal Basic Income is the way forward for the Liberal Democrats (Robin McGhee)
- Morrissey Progress Report – first thoughts (Caron Lindsay)
- Lib Dem MPs were right not to play Labour’s silly games over the Bedroom Tax (Caron Lindsay)
- Alex gets his doctorate
- Acocks Green Claimant Unemployment falls 23 to 695
- With Professor Amy Austin Holmes from the American University, Cairo, December 19
- Liberal Democrats call for a referendum on Manston
- UCAS reports record numbers placed at UK universities and colleges in 2014
- Planning application submitted for council office solar scheme
- Lib Dems call for encryption by default
- Crime Alerts from Safer Stockport Partnership
- I love the BBC, but...
- I'm warming up to the idea of an English parliament
- Terry Wall 20th Dec - 6:00pm
Scotland should have been given more powers to run their own affairs years ago. I think this was always Lib Dem policy, and had it...
- Sue S 20th Dec - 5:57pm
This is a marvellous debate because the Lib Dems are finally looking at radical alternatives to the present benefits system. I think it's unrealistic to...
- David Evans 20th Dec - 5:17pm
Peter is right. Put simply our bastions are wherever we have a group of Lib Dems who are still working, fighting and winning. Not just...
- PT 20th Dec - 5:05pm
"Two studies find big jump in teen use of e-cigarettes" Why have you failed to mention that there was also a significant fall in teen...
- Richard Dean 20th Dec - 4:54pm
The tool that we do presently try to use, to avoid starvation and destitution, does partly consist of free money, but this money does have...
- Stephen Donnelly 20th Dec - 4:14pm
This press release starts with "Nobody could ever accuse Norman Lamb of political spin.". To be fair, I don't think he writes this stuff himself....
Sat 20th Dec 2014
Sat 3rd Jan 2015
Wed 14th Jan 2015
Thu 15th Jan 2015
Fri 16th Jan 2015