Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Tim Farron and Julian Huppert write: Why we need a Digital Bill of Rights (The Voice)
- Opinion: Conference and Equality (Teena Lashmore)
- Nick Harvey writes: Making free school meals work (Nick Harvey MP)
- Norman Lamb writes: Protecting people’s health and care data (Norman Lamb MP)
- Tom Brake writes… Job sharing for MPs – an idea whose time has come (Tom Brake MP)
- Spring Conference 2015: The Liberal Democrats visit Liverpool
- Embracing Human Frailty
- Update on Garston plan consultation
- Doing something about housing
- Colin Blunstone: Say You Don't Mind
- Spring Conference day one
- Random Books from the Library
- My recommended reading for today March 9, 2014
- There's nothing embarrassing about employing immigrants
- Westerleigh Road - temporary closure at approach to Ring Road
- Joe King 9th Mar - 7:43pm
'IN because cooperation between our police forces is essential for catching the criminals who cross our borders. Crime crosses borders, so must we.' I am...
- Caron Lindsay 9th Mar - 7:38pm
Talk about damned by faint praise, Tony:-).
- Theresa-1 9th Mar - 7:36pm
“That’s the real question in May. One party wants out. Another is flirting with exit. The other lot don’t have the courage of their convictions...
- Tony Greaves 9th Mar - 7:31pm
I have no doubt that the last reason is a good one! Tony Greaves
- Jock Coats 9th Mar - 7:28pm
all about positioning between two polar opposites Presumably they refer to the Greens and UKIP, because given the number of coalition initiatives Labour say they...
- Joe King 9th Mar - 6:44pm
I am struggling to take this speech on board. The words 'internationalist' and 'little-Englander' are battling it out in my skull! Anybody else feeling a...
Sun 9th Mar 2014
Mon 10th Mar 2014
Wed 12th Mar 2014
Fri 14th Mar 2014
Sat 15th Mar 2014
Tue 18th Mar 2014
Wed 19th Mar 2014
Thu 20th Mar 2014
Fri 21st Mar 2014
Sat 22nd Mar 2014
Mon 24th Mar 2014
Thu 27th Mar 2014
Fri 28th Mar 2014
Sat 29th Mar 2014
Thu 3rd Apr 2014
Fri 4th Apr 2014
Sat 5th Apr 2014