Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Let’s make the UK a better place for those with mental health challenges (Chris Key)
- Brexit’s potential impact on sport (John Thomason)
- Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity (Lauren Keith)
- Three ways our democracy is being undermined (Toby MacDonnell)
- Johnny Oates tells House of Lords about his experience of depression (The Voice)
- Jutland, stories and the Hay Festival
- Policy without the Wonks?
- Leicester Oral History Trail 9: Highcross Street
- Not A Review Of Neoreaction A Basilisk
- Oakham Castle reopens after major restoration project
- Campaign Diary: Day 14 - a blow for local residents
- Planting Up Whickham gardening day
- Ryton Hirings
- Campaign Diary: Day 13 - the importance of postal voters
- Clarke and Dawe - The Australian electoral system explained
- Michael BG 31st May - 2:31am
I think this is a strange article. I remember the days when Conservatives used to talk about giving people equal opportunities. This meant that everyone...
- Lorenzo Cherin 31st May - 1:45am
Lauren Keith Very good article , well done. Eddie Agree with you on new and more tangible policies, not on the leadership.Tim is here to...
- Stevan Rose 30th May - 11:17pm
I hate to say it but we don't have an awful lot of credible, clear, and distinctive policies on offer. If we do then we're...
- Edith 30th May - 11:11pm
The migrants are coming with no legal status in France. If they apply for Asylum in France, then the french government will take care of...
- David Raw 30th May - 9:20pm
J. Dunn Oh, dear, I'm dazzled by such a sophisticated response. @ Shas, well done, great cause, but..... buy items from Sports Direct ? No...
- Noel Hadjimichael 30th May - 9:15pm
As a new resident in the UK with voting rights I am keen to see both sides of the debate given exposure and robust examination....
Tue 31st May 2016
Thu 2nd Jun 2016
Sun 5th Jun 2016
Thu 16th Jun 2016
Sat 18th Jun 2016
Sat 25th Jun 2016