Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- We must reclaim our Social Democrat heritage
- Stephen Tall's Diary: liberal jottings on the week's big events
- UN Security Council resolution 2249 - historic moment of international unity
- The morning after the by-elections. How did Lib Dems do on 19th November 2015?
- Banning the Lord's prayer - how outrageous (if it were true)
- Tim Farron’s response to the Autumn Statement (The Voice)
- Dutch economists & ex-ministers: Brexit so disastrous that Dutch government should campaign against it (Bernard Aris)
- We should be highly sceptical of air strikes against Syria (Geoffrey Payne)
- York welcomes refugees (Keith Aspden)
- Tim Farron MP writes: We need a holistic approach to eliminate domestic violence once and for all (Tim Farron MP)
- Shooting yourself in the Little Red Book
- Recently lost railways 2
- Unless anyone knows different... a first tonight in Cambridge(shire and Peterborough) as a PCC prospective candidate is selected
- A superb start to West End Christmas Fortnight!
- A Box of Delights on the radio in the 1960s
- Harborough Tories: £7 off council tax, £40 on bin tax
- Tim Farron's response to the Autumn Statement
- Autumn Statement: Health and Social Care Cuts Continue
- #RetroHugos1941 A Million Years to Conquer, by Henry Kuttner
- malc 25th Nov - 11:35pm
I also agree with Willie. Lets hope this very worthy rally is well supported and gets the media coverage it deserves.
- nigel hunter 25th Nov - 11:34pm
Islam is a religion like all others, non perfect, that also counts for agnostics and atheist who believe in their thoughts. Islamists terrorists are still...
- nigel hunter 25th Nov - 11:16pm
It s true we are entering a WW1 scenario, a war, followed by a carve up that has partly led to the present mess.. Yes...
- SIMON BANKS 25th Nov - 10:55pm
SJ: If you cannot belong to a party because of the religious beliefs of the leader, you are not a Liberal. You cannot be sure...
- Glenn 25th Nov - 10:38pm
Ddie, I understand your point, but I'd argue that pragmatism actually suggests not blundering deeper into a mess that has actively worsened the situation in...
- Roland 25th Nov - 10:26pm
@Jedibeeftrix - I would put it slightly differently... From several decades of experience of working with the Dutch (and other Europeans), I've found them to...
Thu 26th Nov 2015
Fri 27th Nov 2015
Sun 29th Nov 2015
Mon 30th Nov 2015
Thu 3rd Dec 2015
Thu 10th Dec 2015
Sat 12th Dec 2015
Wed 16th Dec 2015
Wed 23rd Dec 2015