Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- In Full: Tim Farron's speech: I love my country and I want it back from the nationalists
- Observations of an Ex Pat: Brexit goes nuclear
- Cole-Hamilton: Greens have no mandate to call for second Scottish independence referendum
- Yet another Liberal Democrat GAIN from the Conservatives
- From selfies with Clegg to the Glee Club stage - my first Liberal Democrat conference
- The Africa Liberal Network launches new youth network in Nairobi (Harriet Shone)
- Lynne Featherstone writes: Smart consumers: the bedrock of the clean energy revolution (Lynne Featherstone)
- From selfies with Clegg to the Glee Club stage – my first Liberal Democrat conference (Rebecca Yates)
- Willie Rennie goes all Alice in Wonderland AND uses the F-word (Caron Lindsay)
- Brian Paddick writes…A government without a moral compass was always going to end up on the rocks. (Brian Paddick)
- Lib Dems have the best protest signs
- On the Unite for Europe March - The Sun Comments Edition...
- Superdragons vs Sutton Primary Schools
- My column in the Midweek Visiter
- Trident voting figures: now and then
- Election timetable 2017
- Jeremy Corbyn's 25% strategy
- What many pine for - a mythical past - cannot return, Brexit or not
- When Twitter bites back
- VIDEO: Nick Clegg on Government's 'shameful inaction' over securing rights of EU citizens in UK
- Lorenzo Cherin 25th Mar - 11:07pm
Red Liberal I was once in Labour, or twice ! Too social democrat for old Labour.Too liberal for New Labour ! I became what I...
- Lorenzo Cherin 25th Mar - 11:00pm
I understand and sympathise with the march. I do so with Bill above criticising the march to. As with the EU unless it reforms it...
- Lorenzo Cherin 25th Mar - 10:49pm
I understand what Ruth means even if some don't ! I think sometimes it is an age thing. Those of the Tim, Ruth, my own...
- Fiona 25th Mar - 10:30pm
Your logic is flawed Ben.
- Ruth Bright 25th Mar - 10:24pm
Tony I don't think you actually read the post - it was about keeping going and that London has seen it all and so much...
- Tim13 25th Mar - 10:16pm
Peter, I am surprised you say you haven't met anyone who likes closer integration or ever closer union. There are many of us - certainly...
Thu 30th Mar 2017
Tue 4th Apr 2017
Wed 5th Apr 2017
Thu 6th Apr 2017
Tue 11th Apr 2017