Responding to recommendations made by Graeme Nuttall in his independent review of the sector, the Government has approved plans for a range of activity that will help to grow the number of businesses that become or convert to the employee ownership model.
The plans include assessing whether to establish an independent Institute for Employee Ownership, an ‘off the shelf’ model for setting up an employee owned business, work to examine the guidance on tax issues relating to employee ownership, a guide for staff and employers to request and agree an employee ownership takeover and work with the John Lewis Partnership to examine the barriers to funding for private sector employee owned companies.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg said:
“Businesses that are owned by their employees produce more, grow faster, keep their workforce happier, and pay staff more fairly. Graeme’s report makes clear that sharing ownership means sharing success.
“Our economy suffered a massive heart attack – now we have to build our strength back up. To pump oxygen back into the system and get Britain working again, it’s got to be out with the old and in with a new more diverse economy that is fairer for all.
“The plans we’re setting out today are the first important steps in boosting this burgeoning sector.”
Jo Swinson said:
“There has never been a more important time to create the right environment for different ways of running a business. Employee-owned companies have proved to be flexible and resilient during tough times, and have a clear role to play in securing long-term economic growth. So I’m very pleased to be taking the first steps to implementing Graeme Nuttall’s recommendations.
“Graeme set us a challenging agenda and our response is equally ambitious. We will address one of the biggest barriers to take-up of employee ownership schemes: awareness that it exists. We will improve access to the information and help people understand what they need to start up and run an employee-owned business. And we will clarify what practical steps businesses need to take in order to become employee owned, as well as encouraging more business owners to consider it. We will develop helpful toolkits for employees to use when requesting employee ownership, and to help employers when agreeing to it. Our action plan will boost employee ownership in the UK and help give new impetus to a business model we want to see thriving across the country.”
- Lib Dem Geraldine Locke takes safe Tory Council seat in Richmond
- Catherine Bearder MEP doesn't need men telling her what's important
- A small step for trust in the manifesto
- Opinion: General election 2015 - The rise of UKIP and the Tory decapitation strategy
- Paul Tyler writes...Lessons for our new campaigner-in-chief?
- Opinion: Building homes has never been more important (Stephen Knight)
- Opinion: Should we bomb ISIS positions in Syria? (Mark Argent)
- Opinion: Revolution is not a dirty word (Toby MacDonnell)
- Opinion: A life discarded (Richard Edwards)
- Opinion: Time for a real English party (George Potter)
- Welsh Liberal Democrats accuse government of casual attitude to domestic abuse
- Kickstart 2015 - Early Birds Are Booking Now!
- 'Right to Buy' - draft council motion and waiting list figures
- The book of Genisys
- Watch and laugh: Clarke and Dawe - Aussies Away to a Great Start at Wimbledon
- Sutton employer? Find out more about apprenticeships
- Rebuilding the Core
- And they came on holiday to Lydiate!
- Sefton's Green Belt and High Grade agricultural land now under even greater threat!
- Time to change the law on car littering?
- Matthew Huntbach 6th Jul - 4:23pm
Andrew I agree that much damage has been done, and there is no guarantee it can be repaired even by Farron. But publicly eviscerating the...
- David Evershed 6th Jul - 4:14pm
Tim Farron's anti fracking policy is an attempt to have Lib Dems replace Labour as the most anti business party. In my view the country's...
- Glenn Andrews 6th Jul - 4:10pm
Of course, the elephant in the room is surely how are we proposing to fund the creation of the million or so council houses that...
- Sammy O'Neill 6th Jul - 4:04pm
"This amounts to a huge give-away of public assets to the new owner-occupier of the homes in question" -That isn't true for the proposed expansion...
- Simon McGrath 6th Jul - 4:00pm
How will increasing the rate of CGT reduce the increase in house prices ? and how does rent to own help -it will just stoke...
- Dav 6th Jul - 3:58pm
democracy is under threat as evidenced by the surprise Tory victory at the GE So... democracy is only not under threat if you like the...
Mon 6th Jul 2015
Wed 8th Jul 2015
Thu 9th Jul 2015
Fri 10th Jul 2015
Sat 11th Jul 2015
Sun 12th Jul 2015
Thu 16th Jul 2015
Sat 18th Jul 2015
Sun 19th Jul 2015
Mon 20th Jul 2015
Thu 23rd Jul 2015
Sat 25th Jul 2015
Sun 26th Jul 2015
Mon 27th Jul 2015
Thu 30th Jul 2015
Sat 1st Aug 2015