Whuch party costs you most in Council Tax? Well, according to the coming year’s figures, it’s Tory-run councils which are levying the biggest increases: a whopping 30 of the top 40 council tax rises have been imposed by the Conservatives. And one of the highest in the country was West Oxfordshire – where none other than David Cameron is the local MP!
And on what, you may ask, are these Tory councils spending these council tax increases? Here are a few choice examples:
· Conservatives on Leicestershire County Council spent £6,000 hooking up their fleet of lawn mowers to sat navs.
· Conservatives running Kent County Council were on the road to ruin when they poured £28 million on moving their Highways Department to new premises – and not a penny of it was spent on improving the roads.
· Losing money is a fine art for the Conservatives in Kent where they spent nearly £8 million on building a brand new art gallery – without a brick ever being laid.
· Conservative Bedfordshire County Council is being abolished. Did they give back taxpayers’ money they still had in the council bank account? No! They spent £250,000 on commemorative medals, a souvenir book, food for councillors and officers past and present, a service of thanksgiving, a flag-lowering ceremony and a concert.
· Conservative run Hampshire gave their HQ a makeover, with the bill coming in at £40 million. They splashed out £12,000 on installing 6 designer taps and over £1 million on new furniture, including designer desks and chairs.
· In Wokingham, the Conservatives messed up a project to build a special school. The result: costs rocketed by nearly 50% – adding £3 million to the bill.