SHEFFIELD’S ruling Labour councillors have been attacked by Nick Clegg for ‘dropping’ a policy to give the authority’s lowest-paid staff an extra £250 each year.
The payment was made for staff paid below £21,000-a-year, under the old Lib Dem administration’s budget for 2011/12 – and Mr Clegg said it was supposed to happen on an annual basis.
But papers setting out the council’s financial plans for 2011/12 – including cuts of at least £48 million – do not include a pay rise next year.
Mr Clegg said: “I’ve had meetings with some of the country’s leading trade union representatives, who recognised that Sheffield was the only big council in the UK to provide the £250 payment – and that it was what they wanted.
“I think they will be horrified to hear that the new Labour council is dropping the commitment to help some of the lowest paid, when they are taking money from reserves to pay for extra spending elsewhere.
- 11 Liberal Democrat MPs vote for registrars to be exempt from marrying same sex couples
- The Sun story about Chris Huhne that was a total invention (and which the other papers happily copied)
- How Liberal Democrat MPs voted on same sex marriage amendments
- Same sex Marriage: another Liberal Democrat victory
- Opinion: Why Lib Dems should support the Referendum on the EU – and let’s have it before 2015
- Opinion: Referendum debate is a sideshow: the countdown to Britain’s real EU vote starts today (Giles Goodall)
- The Independent View: An invitation to ORGCon 2013: the UK’s leading digital rights conference (Peter Bradwell)
- Baroness Judith Jolly writes: new Social Care Bill focuses on people not systems (Judith Jolly)
- Opinion polls yadda yadda. OR “Does Nate Silver mean nothing to you? Did he write in vain?” (Stephen Tall)
- Mike Crockart MP writes… Reducing reoffending and cutting crime (Michael Crockart MP)
- Jo Swinson and the exploitation of interns
- Five full years
- Clearing Out - Marvel Edition
- How every Lib Dem MP voted, or didn't, on equal marriage
- Chorlton Arts Festival: Your Bank Holiday Weekender
- Quote of the day - Jeremy Warner on pre recession bankers
- A Rose by any other Name.....
- Today's Link-Love: May 22, 2013
- "1) When asked if they want a referendum on any particular issue, British people will tend to respond..."
- Cambridge MP Signs Up To Be A Postgraduate Funding Champion
- David Allen 22nd May - 5:25pm
More wishful thinking. Yes, the Tories can fight like cats, provided an election is a safe distance away. Something somehow always brings them back together...
- Dave Page 22nd May - 4:38pm
I'm wondering how we can get the message across to more people than we normally manage to reach in a typical Euro campaign. Perhaps a...
- Andrew Chamberlain 22nd May - 4:31pm
Chris_sh: In response to your first question - I hadn't intended to suggest that the damage to the Conservative party's poll rating has been caused...
- Dave Page 22nd May - 4:16pm
The Scottish approach of licensing registrars, who can perform ceremonies wherever they can get permission, rather than licensing venues as we do in England and...
- Caron Lindsay 22nd May - 4:01pm
Well, that was the Attorney General's rather obtuse interpretation of it, which was rebutted very effectively by Julian. The example the AG gave was "tiddlywinks...
Wed 22nd May 2013
Sun 26th May 2013
Tue 28th May 2013
Wed 29th May 2013
Thu 30th May 2013
Fri 31st May 2013
Sat 1st Jun 2013
Mon 3rd Jun 2013
Thu 6th Jun 2013
Fri 7th Jun 2013
Sat 8th Jun 2013
Sun 9th Jun 2013
Thu 13th Jun 2013
Sat 15th Jun 2013
Tue 18th Jun 2013