That level of deep commitment which Farron obviously has, combined with his organisational skills and northern public persona, has all the ingredients of a successful leadership. I speak as one who sat in a gloomy Commons party of six after the 1970 election debacle, three of us clinging to majorities under 1000. It took time, but we turned that round, and went on both to increase our numbers and form the significant Alliance with the SDP and eventually the new united party, which at elections under Paddy Ashdown, Charles Kennedy and Clegg reached new heights of public support. The same can happen again.
A colleague said to me during this contest: “But isn’t Farron a bit risky?” I responded that that may be so, but what the party needs at this time is a risk-taker, not afraid to revisit more traditional Liberal policies – on Trident, on Europe, on industrial democracy, on land value taxation, on the pursuit of a more just society, and on the need for a federal constitution including a new upper house.
It will be a long and at times painful journey, but with Tim Farron inspiring and leading it I see grounds for real hope and optimism.
- Baroness Sal Brinton writes…Electing diverse MPs (Sal Brinton)
- Welsh Lib Dem Conference: Friday night rally, and the wit and wisdom of Wales’ Lib Dem women (Caron Lindsay)
- Assange: From Townsville to Knightsbridge via Cloud Cuckoo Land (Paul Walter)
- Putting in a good word for Turkey and the Turks (Paul Walter)
- Lib Dem parliamentarians mark #timetotalk day (Caron Lindsay)
- On the doorsteps in Chowdene
- From the archives: Roy Jenkins arguing in favour of the SDP-Liberal merger
- Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott
- Cameron tightens screw on social housing
- Lib Dems move on Southport Floods
- Liverpool - The spiritual home of North Korea?
- Haringey Labour suspends it's own councillor, and hits the headlines again...
- House of Shattered Wings, by Aliette de Bodard
- Impressive results for Ruth Dombey and the Lib Dem team in Sutton
- Noosha Fox: Georgina Bailey
- Don Harrison 7th Feb - 9:35pm
I am a LGBT LibDem member who only does happy
- Laurence Cox 7th Feb - 8:44pm
@Mick Taylor, Propagating outright untruths does nothing to strengthen your case. You wrote: "The party has tried all sorts of ways to solve this problem...
- David Raw 7th Feb - 8:42pm
Happen to agree with John Barrett, Ian Swales, Paul Holmes.................. and heaven forbid, just for once............. Stuart Shaw. One's genetic equipment should play no part...
- Helen Tedcastle 7th Feb - 8:25pm
What happened to treating each person on their merits rather than which group they 'self-identified' with?
- Andrew Lye 7th Feb - 8:17pm
I spoke in both debates today.... EU and "Let's Talk About Sex".
- David Evans 7th Feb - 8:08pm
Mick Taylor, All I am saying is that your experience does not reflect the reality of what has happened over the last 10 or more...