That level of deep commitment which Farron obviously has, combined with his organisational skills and northern public persona, has all the ingredients of a successful leadership. I speak as one who sat in a gloomy Commons party of six after the 1970 election debacle, three of us clinging to majorities under 1000. It took time, but we turned that round, and went on both to increase our numbers and form the significant Alliance with the SDP and eventually the new united party, which at elections under Paddy Ashdown, Charles Kennedy and Clegg reached new heights of public support. The same can happen again.
A colleague said to me during this contest: “But isn’t Farron a bit risky?” I responded that that may be so, but what the party needs at this time is a risk-taker, not afraid to revisit more traditional Liberal policies – on Trident, on Europe, on industrial democracy, on land value taxation, on the pursuit of a more just society, and on the need for a federal constitution including a new upper house.
It will be a long and at times painful journey, but with Tim Farron inspiring and leading it I see grounds for real hope and optimism.
- Moving towards a progressive alliance (Layla Moran)
- General Election Webinars 2017 (Natalie Chindipha)
- Does Parliament have the plushest waiting room in the world? (Paul Walter)
- Soft Brexit Tory MPs who sign up for a hard Brexit manifesto will be responsible for an historic mistake (Paul Walter)
- I hope the Russians love their children too (Edward Crabtree)
- Labour lacking clarity on key policy
- Dundee Mental Health Awareness Week
- Lib Dem membership will pass 100,000 today
- Interesting Links for 24-04-2017
- Lib Dems select Sarah Lowes as prospective candidate in Speaker's constituency
- Labour still minus a candidate for #Hastings #StLeonards and #Rye as General Election looms!
- North Woolwich to Palace Gates
- Leicester Tories to target Liz Kendall (with swords and sandals)
- New LED lights throughout Gunthorpe by end of February 2018
- Nicholas Cunningham 24th Apr - 9:42am
Great news regarding membership figures and with the French election showing that politics of the centre can overcome political extremism, hope can win over fear,...
- William 24th Apr - 9:42am
Absolutely! Well said.
- bob sayer 24th Apr - 9:33am
Spare a thought for us elderly membership secretaries in a Branch, I keep finding members I didnt know we had I can only exist because...
- frankie 24th Apr - 9:11am
How are the online donations going? Wife will kill me if she works out how often I'm just donating a fiver, after awhile it mounts...
- John Kelly 24th Apr - 9:04am
Membership system seems pretty robust. Membership officers in local parties get real time notification each time a new member joins online. My local Party has...
- Ian Sanderson 24th Apr - 8:24am
A hearty welcome Nicholas as our standard bearer for the UK's largest constituency, in terms of voter numbers, which has elected two Liberal/LibDem MPs in...