That level of deep commitment which Farron obviously has, combined with his organisational skills and northern public persona, has all the ingredients of a successful leadership. I speak as one who sat in a gloomy Commons party of six after the 1970 election debacle, three of us clinging to majorities under 1000. It took time, but we turned that round, and went on both to increase our numbers and form the significant Alliance with the SDP and eventually the new united party, which at elections under Paddy Ashdown, Charles Kennedy and Clegg reached new heights of public support. The same can happen again.
A colleague said to me during this contest: “But isn’t Farron a bit risky?” I responded that that may be so, but what the party needs at this time is a risk-taker, not afraid to revisit more traditional Liberal policies – on Trident, on Europe, on industrial democracy, on land value taxation, on the pursuit of a more just society, and on the need for a federal constitution including a new upper house.
It will be a long and at times painful journey, but with Tim Farron inspiring and leading it I see grounds for real hope and optimism.
- P-1: Deep breath (Ed Fordham)
- Towards a world free of nuclear weapons (Neil Stockley)
- Our Brexit strategy needs amending (Adam Hyde)
- P-3: Could the Labour campaign be any more selfish and arrogant? (Ed Fordham)
- William Wallace writes a letter to a new member…. (Lord William Wallace)
- If you have moved recently, you need to mark this
- 2000AD post on Mindless Ones
- Review: Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
- If it feels like the end of the world, then I might as well go there...
- And the first by-election result of the week is in...
- Three young women open a new business in Southport's Ocean Plaza
- Visiting those who go down the sea in ships and occupy their business in great waters.
- Paying through the nose
- LGA Lib Dem response to finance settlement
- John Potter: How to make campaign videos
- Martin 22nd Feb - 10:24pm
"Move on"??? (a very different Martin says) Suffer the appalling consequences more like. You do not understand, just because you have decided to jump, does...
- crewegwyn 22nd Feb - 10:19pm
Well done Dr Ali and Team. Sorry couldn't be with you this week; enjoyed my earlier visits. Great team - hope you get the result...
- Martin 22nd Feb - 10:14pm
We are leaving the EU, stop the navel gazing; get over it; and move on.
- Peter Kemp 22nd Feb - 10:14pm
And .... do not forget Copeland .... 11 Lib Dem MPs on Friday ??
- Mark Inskip 22nd Feb - 10:10pm
You've done a great job Ed. Thanks to you, Zulfi, his family, friends and the Local Party. It's essential we take the Lib Dem Fightback...
- frankie 22nd Feb - 10:03pm
Best of luck. Pay day tomorrow I really need to make a donation, my small way of thanking you for the effort you have all...