A Tory peer referred to the police over expenses says it is part of a campaign of “attacks and innuendo” by an MP. Lord Hanningfield claimed the unnamed MP was determined to “blacken my name” over education policy in Essex, where the peer is council leader.
The frontbencher claimed £99,970 over seven years for the cost of staying in London, despite living 40 miles away.
Lib Dem MP Bob Russell said he believed the peer was referring to him but added he was only interested in the facts. … Colchester MP Bob Russell, who raised Lord Hanningfield’s claims in the House of Commons on 21 June, did not confirm that he had made the complaint to police. But he said: “I have drawn to the attention of various authorities matters which I think are of concern which need looking at.”
Asked if he was attempting to smear the peer, he said: “He’s entitled to say what he wants. My job is to unearth the facts as I understand them and present them to the appropriate bodies to look at.”
- 11 Liberal Democrat MPs vote for registrars to be exempt from marrying same sex couples
- The Sun story about Chris Huhne that was a total invention (and which the other papers happily copied)
- How Liberal Democrat MPs voted on same sex marriage amendments
- Opinion: Why Lib Dems should support the Referendum on the EU – and let’s have it before 2015
- Same sex Marriage: another Liberal Democrat victory
- The Independent View: An invitation to ORGCon 2013: the UK’s leading digital rights conference (Peter Bradwell)
- Baroness Judith Jolly writes: new Social Care Bill focuses on people not systems (Judith Jolly)
- Opinion polls yadda yadda. OR “Does Nate Silver mean nothing to you? Did he write in vain?” (Stephen Tall)
- Mike Crockart MP writes… Reducing reoffending and cutting crime (Michael Crockart MP)
- Opinion: Lib Dem MPs: Vote for equality, human rights and love today (Adrian Trett)
- Failure at the top of Medway Council Cabinet
- A week in the life of a councillor - a very personal view
- Why is a Tory Chancellor skewering the middle class?
- Wordless Wednesday
- 20mph Average Speed Cameras
- Subsetting (Chinese) Fonts
- The new bin tax in Sefton - Yes, paying to have a green bin is another form of a Council tax rise but via the back door!
- West End Community and Sports Hub - Pavilion progress
- Additional bus service to assist part of the West End
- A Reticent Wagnerian
- Mike C 22nd May - 10:18am
Rightly so and long overdue. Apart from the morality aspect,, if our government were to treat WOGS (foreigners Working On Government Service) as expendable and...
- Richard Boyd 22nd May - 10:03am
Perhaps I am missing a point,, that UKIP has perhaps seen. They needed a good % at the County elections ( feeding off the national...
- David Evans 22nd May - 9:59am
I think at this moment of near triumph, as liberals, we all need to consider why it is that some zealots want to disown people...
- Frank H Little 22nd May - 9:36am
Joe, an in-out referendum would have been an opportunity to deflate the anti-EU campaign. I am convinced that only a small minority of those able...
- Giles Goodall 22nd May - 9:17am
@Stuart: I don't think you can doubt the fact that Lib Dems have set the pace on this issue, as Dave says, and that's something...
Wed 22nd May 2013
Sun 26th May 2013
Tue 28th May 2013
Wed 29th May 2013
Thu 30th May 2013
Fri 31st May 2013
Sat 1st Jun 2013
Mon 3rd Jun 2013
Thu 6th Jun 2013
Fri 7th Jun 2013
Sat 8th Jun 2013
Sun 9th Jun 2013
Thu 13th Jun 2013
Sat 15th Jun 2013
Tue 18th Jun 2013