Tributes to Emily Price

The Aberystwyth Liberal Democrats and particularly its strong and close-knit branch of Young Liberals are in shock today after learning that the incoming Vice-Chair of the Welsh Young Liberals (IR Cymru) Emily Price died in hospital last night.

She had been taken ill after being elected as a Town Councillor in Aberystwyth last week.

On social media, I see her described as beautiful, gentle, kind, funny, someone who was going places – clearly someone who was a popular and well-loved member of her community.

Last Monday she handed in her university dissertation. She had been going to do her Masters in the town next year.

Mark Cole, who’s an Honorary President of IR Cymru, paid tribute to Emily:

Emily’s sudden and tragic loss is incomprehensible.

Emily was a real character and she was a beloved member of the Aberystwyth University students group of which she was until recently the President.

She had helped lead a revitalised society that put so much effort into recent Parliamentary, Assembly and Council campaigns. But she also led a renaissance in the social activities of the group – I haven’t known such a close-knit and family-like group of liberal students in Aberystwyth for many years and Emily was very much the happy matriarch of this growing brood of young liberals.

I was delighted when Emily herself was elected to Aberystwyth Town Council last week having recently accepted an offer to stay on do study a Masters in the town. She was going to contribute so much more to the civic life of her University town.

She will be greatly missed by all who knew her but she will be remembered with great fondness and love for everything that she achieved in her tragically short life and for everything that was left undone.

Feel free to share memories of Emily in the comments and know that the thoughts of the Liberal Democrat Voice team are with her friends and family as they come to terms with her loss.

You don’t expect, when you’re in your teens and early twenties, to be losing one of your peers. I remember when I was at university, a couple of my fellow students died, one in a bicycle accident and the other incredibly quickly from a vicious form of Leukaemia. Thirty years on, I still remember the light and intelligence and positivity that they brought to the world. Emily’s time with us may have been heartbreakingly short, but what she gave to those around her will inform, inspire and motivate her friends for the rest of their lives.

Read more by or more about , or .

• What heartbreaking news.

• Dreadfully sad and very sorry to hear this.

• Martin Land 13th May '17 - 8:56pm

Tragic. I know the family well. Emily is from Huntingdon. She was an intelligent girl, full of promise. Deepest sympathies to her parents, John and Natasha.

• Natasha Price 13th May '17 - 10:39pm

Please feel free to remember Emily in any way you see fit.
    As her family, we have always loved her dearly and it is comforting to see that she was also loved and admired by many others .
    Natasha, John, Katie and Hannah

• Daniel Hardman 13th May '17 - 10:52pm

I’ve been living with her this year and they’ve been some of the best months of my life, she’s been an absolute pleasure knowing her, this loss is truely tragic for everyone who knew her.

• Thomas Hughes 14th May '17 - 3:45am

We in Aber are still getting our heads around that Emily is gone. As the incoming president of Aberystwyth Student and Young Liberals, Emily was a role-model and mentor to me, as well as first and foremost a dear friend.
    It’s difficult to add anything else that hasn’t been covered in the many, many wonderful tributes made in Emily’s name. All I can finish with is that she was absolutely indefatigable and will be missed dearly, now and always.

• Alex Meredith 14th May '17 - 10:19am

I met Emily at the last Welsh Lib Dem conference in Swansea. She immediately struck me as an intelligent, thoughtful and engaged young person with a very bright future ahead of her in politics. We shared a few ideas about updating the format of conference to make it more engaging for younger members – she was always constructive and full of positive suggestions. Such a breath of fresh air who left me feeling quite inspired.
    So sad to hear that such a bright light is no longer shining. A tragic loss on so many levels. My thoughts are with her family and friends and everyone in Aber and IR Cymru.

• I have already post a short message on FB but want to reiterate my statement here.
    Emily was a thourghly ‘good egg’ when she spoke everyone listened, she always led by example and was an outstanding team-player. Nothing is as too much trouble and that was what epitomises Emily. There are others who are far better qualified than me to eulogise still further about my his wonderful young lady, but please allow me one last memory of her. These mast set of local elections saw my opponent and his Party throw the ‘kitchen sink’ at me. I needed leaflets printing and folding asap, Emily stepped up to the plate and did them….I will be enernally greatful that she did that! Sleep tight Emily in this world you were a star shining bright and that will continue in the next… Nos da Emily.

• Phil Culmer 15th May '17 - 7:48am

Thank you for taking the time to visit us, Natasha.
    My deepest condolences – so sad and astonished at the loss of such a wonderful young lady, who from such heartfelt tributes clearly enriched the lives of all she knew.
    Much love and best wishes,
    Phil.

• I normally just lurk here without posting, but love and thoughts to all of Emily’s family and friends at this terrible time.

• Natasha Price 20th May '17 - 7:18pm

Please share our just giving page in Emily’s memory. We hope to set up a permanent endowment in Abertstwyth where she had just been elected to the town council.
    We also hope to arrange a bench on the seafront for her friends to have somewhere to go to remember Emily.