Best wishes to Paddy

Paddy Ashdown revealed to Somerset Live today that he is being treated for bladder cancer:

Yes, I’m afraid I can confirm that. I have known for about three weeks that I am suffering from a cancer of the bladder.

I’m being effectively and wonderfully looked after by everyone at Yeovil Hospital, in whom I have complete confidence.

We must see about the outcome, which as always with things like this, is unpredictable.

I’ve fought a lot of battles in my life.

This time I am lucky enough to have the magnificent help of our local hospital, and my friends and family, and that gives me great confidence.

Vince Cable has led the warm wishes to Paddy for a successful recovery:

The Liberal Democrat Voice team wish Paddy a speedy recovery and send love and thoughts to him, Jane and their family.

Throughout his life, Paddy has inspired many people to fight battles. That includes many of us in the Liberal Democrats. In good times and bad times, Paddy has always been there – a rock of solidarity for us all. So, Paddy certainly deserves the best of British luck in his latest battle!

Read more by or more about or .

• John Marriott 2nd Nov '18 - 3:46pm

Chin up, Paddy. You can beat this! All of us, who owe you so much, will be thinking of you.

• Barry Lofty 2nd Nov '18 - 5:19pm

All the very best Paddy and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Yeovil Yokel 2nd Nov '18 - 8:36pm

K.B.O., Paddy, K.B.O.

• Jayne Mansfield 3rd Nov '18 - 9:25am

Good luck to Paddy Ashdown as he embarks on yet another fight. Growing old brings with it some challenges.

I hope that his personal challenge , now made public, will inspire him to publicise the symptoms of early stage bladder cancer and the need for early diagnosis and treatment. He has always shown the necessary strength of character to meet this additional challenge.

• Richard Easter 3rd Nov '18 - 9:56am

I can only echo the sentiments of other comments, sad news – but best wishes Paddy. You’re a fighter and I’m sure this vile disease will regret ever taking you on!

• That cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.