Clegg: I will survive

Interviewed in Sheffield newspaper The Star, Nick Clegg says he is ‘confident but not complacent’ of winning his seat, and that he will not quit and the party would not leave the coalition.

There are more people with jobs in Sheffield than ever before, more apprenticeships, and fewer youngsters not in employment, education or training.

We’ve got a long way to go, we’ve still got a lot to do, and a lot of people are still feeling the pinch. But I just think constantly talking our city down, which is what Labour do – I don’t back it.

I am incredibly optimistic about our country and the future of Sheffield.

The Star is available from all good newsagents in the great city of Sheffield.

* Newshound: bringing you the best Lib Dem commentary published in print or online.

Read more by or more about .

• Newspaper in positive article about Clegg and Lib Dems shocker?

• Of course, Clegg’s problem from now on will be that while half his members are providing backing vocals for “I will survive”, the other half are singing “Go on now, go, walk out that door! Just turn around now‚ cause you’re not welcome any more.”

• At first he was afraid, he was petrified.

….Wot? No glitter ball?

• Yer till elections then libdems disappear up their own – – – AS like all politiands you dont really listen and have your own agenda ie United States of Europe

• Newark, not too far from Sheffield, probably get The Star delivered there, pretty sure it used to be read in Retford,
    It all makes crazy reading bearing in mind we are probably going to virtually disappear from sight next Thursday.
    Not heard how many helpers have been going there each day, remember those times when we turned up in the hundreds on a daily basis. Everything has gone rapidly downhill and seems to be gathering an ever increasing pace. Fantasy has really replaced reality.

• Brilliant — It will be difficult to get these lyrics out of my head today —

Chris 30th May ’14 – 10:17am

• Bill Le Breton 30th May '14 - 11:33am

Shades of. “Defeat? I do not recognize the meaning of the word!” Now who said that? A very rare 2014 Election Leaflet with the word ‘Clegg’ on it to the first person to provide a correct answer.

• “Shades of. “Defeat? I do not recognize the meaning of the word!” Now who said that?”

The same person who said “We fight on – we fight to win” and then resigned the next day?

• daft ha'p'orth 30th May '14 - 11:41am

@Chris
    Back from outer space with that sad look upon your face…!
    For some reason this (viral video from a few years ago) comes to mind.

• Chris Stallard 30th May '14 - 11:41am

“Defeat? I do not recognize the meaning of the word!” was Thatcher was it not?

Rather ironic really!

• I am quite sure Clegg will survive, in some capacity or other; however, I am less optimistic about the Liberal Democratic Party he supposedly leads. Certainly there are hundreds of Liberal Democrat councillors who have not “survived.”

• Bill Le Breton 30th May '14 - 12:00pm

We’ll done Chris. If you DM me I will send the leaflet … If of course I ever find one! 😉 Ironic indeed.

• The headline isn’t Clegg’s fault, but the focus on his own survival (most likely – 47, fit, healthy, wealthy) rather than that of his Party looks rather self-indulgent.

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 1:15pm

Since joining the coalition the lib Dems have lost 1700 councillors (43%), 11 MEPs and their vote share has dropped from 23% at the last general election to 13% in the local elections and below 7% in the Euros. We now have the smallest local government base since 1980. We need to ask the question. Who is responsible ? This leadership seem to take none and yet they have lost the doorstep.

backlash from voters which we are. Some polls now put the conservatives in front of Labour. The truth is a small group are enjoying the trappings of government and the 1700 lost Councillors is a price worth paying to maintain a seat a the top table, the bedrock of this party is being sacrificed so a few can walk the corridors of power.

Sorry time for change.

• Chris Stallard 30th May '14 - 1:16pm

Instead of sending it to me Bill, recycle it into new paper that can be used for something more useful. The party will need to save all the money it can with the amount of lost deposits that are coming up in 2015!!

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 1:49pm
  • @ Shaun Cunningham

“Ask this basic question why is it our partners in Government the conservatives are not suffering the same
    backlash from voters which we are.”

Simple really. They have the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express, Sun, Evening Standard etc. etc. all on their side, publishing positive articles about the Conservatives, read by millions, seen every day, while they have been giving us and in particular a real pasting for four solid years now. The result is that all the leaflets we like will not dent people’s bad image of the party because of this onslaught.

The Tory press proprietors know it works, which is why they keep on doing it. In terms of the media power “air war” the Tories and their allies won ages ago. Now they’re just trying to mop up a few areas of resistance.

• Steve Comer 30th May '14 - 2:08pm

….oh dear!
    I just have this vision of a load of people in suits in the Clegg bunker dancing round their handbags singing along to this while the glitter ball spins round reflecting the disco lights…….and I just know I won’t be able to get that bloody song out of my head for the rest of the day!

Perhaps the LibDems4change riposte to this should be ‘Survivor’ by Destiny’s Child (edited highlights below):
    “Now that you’re out of my life
    I’m so much better
    You thought that I’d be weak without you
    But I’m stronger
    You thought that I’d be sad without you
    I laugh harder
    You thought I wouldn’t grow without you
    Now I’m wiser
    Though that I’d be helpless without you
    But I’m smarter
    You thought that I’d be stressed without you
    But I’m chillin’
    Thought I couldn’t breathe without
    I’m inhaling
    You thought I couldn’t see without you
    Perfect vision
    You thought I couldn’t last without you
    But I’m lastin’
    You thought that I would die without you
    But I’m livin’
    Thought that I would fail without you
    But I’m on top
    Thought it would be over by now
    But it won’t stop
    Thought that I would self destruct
    But I’m still here
    Even in my years to come
    I’m still gon be here

I’m a survivor (What?)
    I’m not gon give up (What?)
    I’m not gon stop (What?)
    I’m gon work harder (What?)
    I’m a survivor (What?)
    I’m gonna make it (What?)
    I will survive (What?)
    Keep on survivin’ (What?)”

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 2:52pm

@ RC
    So all our problems is due to the press. Somewhat simplistic I would say. The latest Newark poll puts us on 5 %.

My posts may seem negatively to many but I have grown tired of this sound bite from the leadership that being in partnership with the conservatives is some how making the party stronger. It is not. 1700 lost Councillors for what?

There is a yawning gap in how the electorate perceives us in local politics and how they see us on the national scene.
    Nationally we are dead because the electorate believes we sold our soul for government.

I just fought a campaign on local issues and completely bucked the trend, losing by 42 votes in a predominantly conservative area, weeks of campaigning and many months of work before hand and in doing so went back to basics and did what we are brilliant at, showing local people we care about our communities and that the local party were not only seen to be listening but pro active in getting problems sorted.

The brutal truth was clear , local residents would vote for us at a local level because of the commitment the local party showed, but nationally not a hope. I take no pride in calling for Nick to go but the brutal truth coming from the doorstep night after night was crystal clear. Local Yes……Nationally No. What I can’t understand Nick doesn’t see it, Why?
    This party needs to get back it’s core values and stop believing that sitting at the top table is some how making the party stronger……..because it is not.

• @RC
    “So all our problems is due to the press. Somewhat simplistic I would say.”

Not all, but most. Do you not see the connection between what your are saying about people being willing to vote for us locally (not in my area, sadly) under certain circumstances and with a lot of hard work persuading them, and not supporting what we are doing nationally?

Who is it who frames their view of how we have done nationally? It doesn’t just come out of thin air, does it? The print media overwhelmingly set the agenda in this country and they are predominantly against us. It seems self-evidently true to me that this is the case.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

• @Shaun
    It is too easy to be defeatist. Would you be prepared to place a bet on the party getting less than 7% in Newark? No, of course not. So let us be positive here

• Peter Watson 30th May '14 - 4:13pm

@Voter “Would you be prepared to place a bet on the party getting less than 7% in Newark? No, of course not.”
    7% looks optimistic. Current polling puts Lib Dems on 5% in Newark (http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8850).

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 4:19pm

@Voter

I am not defeatist. I didn’t achieve my result being quitter. I worked bloody hard and not just a month before the elections but more like a a year. I know what the doorstep was telling me night after night. I also know the result I achieved was through getting the message right and conveying it. Do you really believe l take joy out of seeing this party sliding down to disaster. There are times in life one needs to look at reality. In my campaign reality was if I took the national picture I was a dead, so I kept to the local issues, my result speaks for itself. I hope the party hits 20% in Newark but reality will paint a different picture.

@RC …….sorry I fundamentally disagree you can’t seriously blame the press for the party’s position. Take Nick’s TV battle with UKIP. Both had the same audience and yet we failed in putting the message for a pro Europe across but then it was always going to be about soundbites which UKIP are very good at. In the minds of the public we came a poor second.

The circulation of newspapers is dying, although they have always been a part of the political scene. In 2010 the party was riding high did we have the problem with the press then so because we are failing to connect is it the fault of the press or could it just be the fault is with the message?

I go back to my argument this party is not stronger for being in government it is in fact weaker because the fundamental fact is a very large segment of the voting public believe we sold our soul for government. You may disagree, Nick may disagree but the voting public do not. I hit enough doors to know.

• Shaun – Then surely we must change the public’s belief rather than bending to it?

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 5:02pm

John
    Look luck. The public perception of us is well ingrained in to their thought patterns. Are we not here to listen rather than dictate.

I have a field up the road. Developer wants to build houses. The residents are up in arms and are totally against the development. Do I commit political suicide and support the developer or stay in tune with the residents and have their support for another day? For me there’s only one answer.

• John Grout30th May ’14 – 4:48pm

John, A succint answer…May I propose an even more succint question…HOW?

• I note that none of the doom party are willing to actually place any money on their judgements.
    Given the choice between the optimistic leader and other, I know where I will be.

• Mike Simpson 30th May '14 - 7:19pm

Perhaps a more appropriate Gloria Gaynor song is ‘Never can say goodbye ‘! One verse goes like this –

I never can say goodbye
    Oh, no, I
    I Nice can say goodbye

I keep thinking that our problems
    Soon are all gonna work out
    But there’s that same unhappy feeling
    And there’s that anguish, there’s that doubt

• Mike Simpson 30th May '14 - 7:27pm

Oops spell check typo there – should read I never can say goodbye
    Oh, no, I
    I never can say goodbye

I keep thinking that our problems
    Soon are all gonna work out
    But there’s that same unhappy feeling
    And there’s that anguish, there’s that doubt

• Keith Browning 30th May '14 - 8:03pm

This defence of the indefensible makes Nick look a little like Alec Guiness at the end of bridge on the River Kwai, desperately trying to save his project, that was only going to help the enemy, or perhaps Gordon Brittas in his chaotic leisure centre, where everything would have been perfect except for the sweaty members of the public who wanted to exercise and so mess the whole place up..

• Steve Comer 30th May '14 - 8:23pm

Good analogies Keith.
    And Shaun’s experiences echo mine on the doorstep. I know many people have reported this back to the party leadership time and again, but why is nobody in the HQ bunker listening? They seem to think that if we just keep repeating the same messages that aren’t working for another year in a louder voice everything will be OK.

• @Steve Comer
    “why is nobody in the HQ bunker listening?”

It is quite clear to me that the party is divided at this point. So it must be hard for the leadership to know which way to go

• Shaun Cunningham 30th May '14 - 9:00pm

Example of why we are seen to be out of touch and have lost our way.

The front page of the ” i ” newspaper

Coalition hires debt collectors to target public. Many of those affected are among Britains poorest families.
    Please read the story if you can.

Why does the party target the poor and not the wealthy. Again we are party to this ….WHY?
    Is it no wonder we are being labelled …..out of touch and nothing to say. It was not like this before.

• Nick Clegg still believes that if he resigns we will leave the Coalition. All our MPs need to assure him that we will stay in government no matter who leads the party and then maybe he will take the advice from party members who only want the best for the party.

He said he would unite the party. It is clearly impossible for him to do so when he says the critics of his own party are putting in the boot.

• Steve Comer 31st May '14 - 2:48am

The i article highlights a serious problem with the Coalition.
    On the one hand people are being targeted because the cumbersome tax credit system we inherited from Labour cannot catch up with changes in circumstances. (Regular changes in circumstances which are a feature of a more #flexible labour market.’)
    On the other hand half the tax havens in the whole world are British territories! And there are a whole plethora of family trusts, property investments and the like which the rich can have access to.

So although the coalition (and to his credit Danny Alexander) has taken steps to reduce tax evasion, the old problem remains. Its one law for people who have very little, and another who can afford trust funds and armies of accountants to find them ‘tax efficient’ investments.
    Its also one law for individuals and another for corporations who can move their money between countries. Of course to tackle the latter you need strong integration of enforcement powers between difference countries, and co-ordination by institutions representing groups of countries……like the European Union or NAFTA.

So whether we have been party to the actions that the i reports or not, if Lib Dems do not speak out loudly in opposition, we are assumed to be supporting bad policy by default.

• David White 31st May '14 - 7:56am

Mr Clegg must resign, ASAP.

• There is a timely caution against the lazy assumption that “incumbency” will somehow enable the Lib Dems locally to defy the national swing against them, in an article by David Herdson on politicalbetting.com, entitled “Lib Dem incumbency would be overwhelmed on current polling”.

The nub of the argument is in these two paragraphs:

Incumbency can only hold out against the tide so far though: there comes a point when there simply aren’t enough votes to go round to return large numbers of MPs: UNS cannot apply at the bottom end because you can’t lose (say) 14% in a seat where you only had 8% to start with. Of itself, that means that more have to come from the middle or top to make up the difference. If we further assume that the top end also outperforms because of incumbency, that implies a tremendous and probably unrealistic collapse in the middle.

To give an example, suppose the Lib Dems poll 9% at the election. On the same turnout as 2010, that would reduce their votes received from 6.8m to 2.7m (not that the turnout really matters but keeping it the same removes one variable). If they polled 30% in twenty seats, 35% in another twenty and 40% in a further twenty, that alone would be close to a million votes – and those shares might well see them win the 33 mentioned above. It would, however, leave just 1.7m to be spread across the 570 other constituencies at an average of just 6.4%. With presumably other seats where the Lib Dems have a reasonable showing, it’d imply near-extinction levels across many and lost deposits in about half.

• My apologies for a late comment on this thread. The discussion may have moved on by now.

Just wanted it noted that I thought this was a particularly good (albeit bogus) take on the story.

• Sunday Times tomorrow
    Clegg is the least popular political leader in modern times. And his unpopularity is still getting worse.

This is the Clegg legacy —
    5 MPs lost, 1700 councillors lost, 10 MEPs lost, two Peers lost, tens of thousands of members lost.

So Clegg says – ” I will survive “. Clearly — Grip on reality lost.

• @theakes
    @Shaun Cunningham
    Stop wringing your hands and come to Newark or telecanvass. We were there on Saturday – there is plenty of support if we look for it.