Help elect April in May

I first came across April Preston in, I think, 2016 when she crowdfunded the money to put on a proper feminist fringe at Conference. She got Jo Swinson to speak and it was one of the best fringes I have ever been to. I thought then what a fabulous elected representative she would make, speaking her mind and getting proper liberal stuff done.

So I really hope she gets elected in Withington ward in Manchester this year. Her campaign needs money, though. Here’s why:

Withington Ward Liberal Democrats work to put community back into the Council and with your support we will be able to challenge officials that neglect our beloved city.

Our candidate in this year’s elections is April Preston. April was the first spokesperson for Stockport Young Carers and has been passionate activist from the age of 10 and continues to campaign on a wide on a wide range of issues from mental health to children leaving care.

April is also a is a trustee of Autistic Association of Greater Manchester, she has campaigned to repeal Section 28, and against the Iraq war.

April has also argued against the council’s treatment of our homeless and chaired events fighting for a more diverse and tolerant society.

This year alone she has campaigned for:

-A Peoples Vote in Manchester, if elected this May as a councillor, April will ensure a ballot in Manchester City Council in support of giving Withington residents a final say.

-To stop the Manchester Labour council from fining and criminalising the homeless and to repeal the enforcement of Vagrancy laws.

-To demand better for Withington and Ladybarn villages that have been very neglected by Labour.

April will work with community groups and business to improve the area neglected by local council.

-To fight for women’s rights and to improve better representation in Manchester council

By electing a working class care leaver like April, we can demonstrate Liberal values in action by improving our diversity in our council group and putting authentic voices on Manchester City Council.

I believe in April and I know she can give Labour a run for their money, so I’ve chipped in . If you can, please support her too.

Read more by or more about , , or .

• Lorenzo Cherin 6th Mar '19 - 8:15pm

I take a more socially moderate liberal stance than April on certain issues she and her Radical colleagues have, and though it might be so, have to commend her as someone who, like me is vocal against antisemitism, and thus offer moral support to her and regards

• Nigel Jones 6th Mar '19 - 9:53pm

So pleased to help; it was in Withington that I joined the Liberals a long time ago and i still have old friends there. There were only 6 of us and the chair insisted we worked hard in spite of never getting near a win.

• Best of luck. Hope my small donation helps. I’m sure my favourite suffragette would approve as well, she was after all “a merry militant saint”.

• richard underhill 7th Mar '19 - 2:48pm

The suffragettes did not murder anyone, although arson attacks were extremely risky.
    Many women served in the munitions factories in World War One taking on dangerous and risky work. David Lloyd George gave them equal pay.

• Richard Underhill 8th Mar '19 - 12:01pm

Former Tory leader William Hague (now a peer) has written extensively about the use of alcohol to treat (bribe) potential electors in Yorkshire.
    Candidates needed substantial funds to get elected.
    Consequences included intimidation of electors on the way to the poll including the use of violence.

• Kevin Brady 19th Mar '19 - 6:54pm

April
    I will be voting in the next election but I want a candidate to be working for Ladybarn (ie Ladybarn Lane ,the Welsh estate and all the side roads ).There are many students but there are many long term residents. In the past year Ladybarn lane residents have seen the Community centre reopen and many events have taken place .The Police was at the centre in a community forum ,the residents have rallied round doing litter picks and we have a number of cleaning sessions in the park .There has been a diverse range of helpers ,from the Church on Kingwood Road and the Mosque on Ladybarn lane
    This week is busy for the community
    The Parks people were at Ladybarn Community Hub on the 18th discussing the plans for Kingwood Park
    There is a meeting tomorrow at the centre on Royle St(20th March 5 to 7 ) discussing the plans for Ladybarn District Centre
    Saturday is keep Britain tidy day and residents will be out in force helping to clean up Ladybarn Area including Ladybarg Lane and the parks
    As a voter I would hope to meet you at any one of these events as it is important for any candidate I vote for to take part in community activities .
    I have not political affiliation but I do want my vote to go to the person who is prepared to help and I respect them more than people who take photos and say they are doing things on my behalf and nothing happens