Lembit Opik says he could stand for President of Estonia

This week, Lembit Opik has hinted that he could make a return to politics – in Estonia this time. He suggested that he might be interested in standing for President of that country.

From the BBC:

Mr Opik said he had been asked to consider being either a member of the Estonian parliament, or to consider running as president.

“One position is just to be a member of parliament, which I would not mind doing,” the 53-year-old said.

“There are 101 MPs and they do work in coalition, so it is not very partisan.

“The other position is president of Estonia. It is more than just a non-executive role – I could make quite a big splash.

“I have not got a campaign plan but I have said I would be interested. It’s not an appointed job, I would have to stand for it.”

His first chance comes in 2021. The President isn’t directly elected, but requires a supermajority of Estonian MPs. If that isn’t forthcoming, an electoral body whittles down the candidates.

The current President is Kersti Kaljulaid. Time will tell if she can hold off an Opik challenge.

Read more by or more about or .

• If we are exporting failed politicians, can someone draw up a list and export a few more. I feel sorry for the country that gets Tinkerbell and Co but our gain is their loss.

• Richard Underhill 25th Nov '18 - 4:53pm

He is not very Welsh.

• Is Lembit still a member of the party? I noticed that Mark Oaten resigned a few days ago.

• John Marriott 25th Nov '18 - 5:24pm

Given his former association with one of the Cheeky Girls perhaps he ought to have tried his luck in Romania. Thanks for the biographical note, Mr Bourke, I sometimes wonder whether you take things a bit too seriously! It’s Lembit Opik, after all.

• Alex Macfie 25th Nov '18 - 5:35pm

I have a family connection to Lembit, as my sister married one of his cousins. But I cannot take him seriously as a politician. He managed to lose what was supposed to have been a safe seat for us in 2010, an election in which our nationwide vote share rose. In the selection for our 2012 Mayoral candidate, he came last for first preferences, behind Brian Haley, who had only recently defected to us from Labour and so was not well known in our party at that time. Not all publicity is good publicity. And certain aspects of his personal behaviour are extremely problematic.
    So if he runs to Estonia, it will be a relief for me and for the great majority of Lib Dems that he will be out of our hair. But I hope that Estonians will be wise to his flaws and reject his bid for their country’s Presidency.

• David Warren 25th Nov '18 - 6:06pm

Last time we heard from Lembit he was looking forward to becoming a Dad and settling down with his latest lady love.

I understand that didn’t work out.

The tragedy of Mr Opik is he actually has a bit to offer politics in the UK and would I believe have stayed in parliament if it wasn’t for his high profile break up with Sian Lloyd.

That said I wish him well if he does turn his attentions to the Estonians.

• Martin Land 25th Nov '18 - 6:12pm

Estonia has a difficult future living next to a noisy and troublesome neighbour. The last thing it needs is a clown for President.

• Estonia, a small independent country that left a union with a much larger neighbour, joined the EU and prospered.

Perhaps as a good Lib Dem, Lembit is going to tell them they would be “better together” back in a political union with Russia?

• Tony Greaves 25th Nov '18 - 10:22pm

“for out… read …. ought.”

You can take t’lad out o’ Yorkshire, but…

• Mick Taylor 26th Nov '18 - 7:31am

Why give this rather sad character publicity at all.

• President of Estonia is certainly a step up from his current job as talk show host on BBC Radio Kent! If Donald Trump can make the step from broadcast celebrity to President, then why not Lembit?

• John Probert 26th Nov '18 - 10:49am

Very sadly, Lembit Opik is a stunt man and a bit of a lunatic. His name shouldn’t even be on the ballot paper. All those who love Estonia wold be shocked were he to take the place once held be President Lennart Meri.

• Richard Underhill 26th Nov '18 - 12:50pm

Simon Pike 26th Nov ’18 – 8:44am
    USA is a bigger country than Estonia, so if Estonia were to divide itself into 50 regions with widely different political structures, widely different geographical areas, widely different population numbers, … .

• nvelope2003 26th Nov '18 - 2:38pm

Small parties desperate to attract members can be the target for………..

• Do I want to share the EU with the loser of Montgomery?