Mike Hancock: police drop investigation over allegations

A news release from Mike Hancock MP says:

MP welcomes dropping of police action over allegations against him

Hampshire Police have today confirmed that after consultation with the Criminal Prosecution Service (CPS) that they are dropping any further action against Mike Hancock MP (Lib Dem – Portsmouth South) over allegations made against him in August.

Mike Hancock said: “I have always maintained my innocence over this. I have co-operated fully with police at all times and at all times vigorously contested these allegations. They have now been fully investigated and I am obviously pleased that the CPS and Police have concluded that there is absolutely no case for me to answer over them and are dropping any further action. I hope that this will draw a line under this for all concerned.”

Read more by or more about .

• Grant Williams 23rd Dec '10 - 8:25am

From the full statement made, it appears that the whole thing was, at best, misconceived from the start. I’m glad Mike’s torment on this particular question has been brought to a close.

It does, however, lead me back to the discussion as to whether there should be anonymity for those accused in sexual offences, at least until the trial.

It is proper that ALL allegations are investigated in a thorough, prompt and sensitive manner, but I think there needs to be a balance struck between transparency of justice and the anguish that the friends and family of those wrongly accused suffer.

In such matters there is often an inbuilt presumption of guilt amongst the public at large. Despite this, there is an abysmal conviction rate, which is similarly worrying.

• Simon McGrath 23rd Dec '10 - 9:09am

@Geoffrey I agree – so you were presumably in favour the the colaition policy (now dropped) of anomynity in such cases?

• Absolutely great, wonderful news!

• Wasn’t it that Guido Fawkes who published most of the smears about Hancock? I hope he sues Harry Cole for all those disgusting comments.