New LDV members’ survey now live: your views on

imageThe new LDV members’ survey is now live. So if you are one of the 1,900+ registered members of the Liberal Democrat Voice forum, and any paid-up party member is welcome to join, then you now have the opportunity to make your views known.

Questions we’re asking this month include:

• pre-election predictions;
  • post-election analysis;
  • what you though of the Coalition;
  • Nick Clegg standing down;
  • who should replace him as leader;
  • what our losing MPs should do next;

It should take no longer than 5 minutes minutes to fill in. All registered members of the Forum should have been e-mailed with a unique link to take you to the survey. If you haven’t received yours drop me a line at [email protected], but please do check your spam folder first, though, in case it’s ended up there!

We’ll publish the results in a few days’ time. You can access the results from our previous LDV members surveys by clicking here.

Read more by .
This entry was posted in LDV Members poll.

• Jenny Barnes 14th May '15 - 11:33am

I think we should have gone into coalition if and only if the Tories agreed to PR. No referendum. Otherwise not. No option on the survey to say anything like that.

• One note. The survey refers to equal marriage. This was not achieved. We got same sex marriage.

• Jonathan Pile 14th May '15 - 2:12pm

Is the fact Nick Clegg’s name on the Next leader choice a joke or is someone flying a kite for a farage style comeback?

• Caron Lindsay Caron Lindsay 14th May '15 - 2:52pm

No Jonathan, it’s just a list of the 8 eligible people.

• Jonathan Pile 14th May '15 - 2:56pm

Ah right – thanks Caron – that’s one less thing to worry about !

• A Social Liberal 15th May '15 - 12:39am

I haven’t received my invitation to take the survey yet – will I be receiving it soon?

• Phil Rimmer 15th May '15 - 8:34am

An option to send former MPs on “I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here”? I happen to agree but it’s a bit disrespectful, isn’t it?

• Sadie Smith 15th May '15 - 1:05pm

Access seems complicated. I find ‘LibDem thinks….’ after these polls very irritating.
    While questions were asked about trusting Cameron ( AV ref proved that wrong) I don’t think anyone asked about Osborne.
    I hope MPs can take some time away from the Commons.

• SIMON BANKS 15th May '15 - 5:50pm

I’ve answered it. NOW LOOK, MATE, WHAT I CHOSE IN THE PRIVACY OF THE THIRD BEDROOM IS MY BUSINESS, RIGHT? I did find one question difficult and fear the results may lead to misinterpretation. Something like “Knowing what you do now, was it right to go into the coalition?” I puzzled over this. If I knew our leaders were going to play their hand as badly as they did, in the first year especially, I would not have supported going into coalition. But maybe the question was referring to factors outside our control. If I’d been an MP with time-travelling powers (unfortunately we’ve lost the two who could do this) I’d have seen the devastation of May 2015 and gone back to move heaven and earth so that we played our hand in the coalition better., rather than trying to block the coalition. So should I have answered YES or NO? In fact I answered YES in the end but maybe it should have been NO.

Science Fiction fans will understand clearly that introducing knowledge of the May 2015 disaster into decision-makers in May 2010 would be bound to change their behaviour, so if we had still gone into coalition, we would have behaved differently. Confused?

• Denis Loretto 16th May '15 - 12:31am

I agree completely with Simon Banks about the unsuitability of that particular question. Are we really asked to express support in effect for what we now see as the destruction of our parliamentary party and any real influence in the House of Commons for many years to come? I felt I had to vote “no”. To my mind the proper question should be “Do you still think the party was right to make the decision to enter the coalition in 2010?” To that I would have voted “yes”. We all know that our party played a major role in the economic recovery achieved by the coalition and every day now tells us that we were effective in stopping much of the attack on human rights and bearing down on the poorest in society which the Conservatives sought and are now free to perpetrate. Indeed the chattering classes are now commenting on this as if they had only just discovered it.

However mistakes were clearly made and I do not think our current demise should be blamed entirely on the decision to enter coalition. I hope a full study of this phase in our history is underway and will lead to our defining and promulgating the essential purpose and objectives of our party in a much clearer way than we have done so far.

• Jane Ann Liston 16th May '15 - 1:29am

@Phil Rimmer

I agree that the ‘I’m a Celebrity’ option was highly inappropriate. More to the point, as I mentioned elsewhere, standing in the Scottish elections next year were not given as an option; it seems that the compiler of the survey simply forgot that Scotland and her parliament exist.