What do you make of David Cameron’s “offer”?

I’ve not seen a transcript yet, but here’s ConservativeHome’s paraphrase of David Cameron’s supposed “offer” to the Lib Dems:

I thank Nick Clegg for recognising that the Tories won most new seats and I will now talk to the Liberal Democrats about delivering the kind of government Britain needs.

I offer reassurances to the Liberal Democrats so that they support a minority Conservative government but I am also willing to discuss other possibilities.

There are some non-negotiables. No government can give more powers to Europe. We must be strong on immigration. It is reasonable that the bulk of the Tory manifesto is implemented.

But in some areas there must be compromise. Conservatives have ideas for electoral reform although they are not the same as the Liberal Democrats’ ideas. But coooperation will allow the Liberal Democrats to implement part of their manifesto.

Though the BBC is eagerly hyping it up as an offer it seems like nothing but hot air to me.

The Lib Dems’ and Tories’ tax policies are miles apart: they want tax-cuts for the right we want them for low- and middle-income earners.

The Tories say they support a ‘pupil premium’ but only the Lib Dems had the courage to say how they would find the money needed to make it real.

The Lib Dems support a sustainable economy which puts the environment at its heart: the Tories are a comfortable home for climate-change deniers.

And as for fair politics, the offer of a committee to look into electoral reform is derisory: nothing short of a referendum which offers the public a choice can be acceptable.

What do LDVs readers think?

Read more by or more about .
This entry was posted in General Election.

• To be honest – a report and ‘all party discussion’ on electoral reform isn’t enough. We’ll be sold down the river – just like Blair did after the jenkins commission.

• Alice Chapman 7th May '10 - 3:26pm

An “all party discussion” is just a way of avoiding the need for immediate electoral reform. The results stress that need even more strongly in this election than ever before, That we have increased share of the vote yet have lost seats overall is to be honest a scandal.

• Barney Jeffries 7th May '10 - 3:33pm

I voted Lib Dem for the first time yesterday (not that it makes a blind bit of difference where I live) because I believe you’re a genuinely progressive party – pretty much all my left-leaning friends feel the same way. If Nick Clegg does get into bed with David Cameron, there’s going to be a LOT of angry people.

• Jessica Ottowell 7th May '10 - 3:34pm

Personally I feel that if we side with any party, we will end up screwed over unless they implement a large part of our manifesto and we know that, out of the two main parties, we have less support of electoral reform with the tory party as well as with the lion share of our other policies, but on the other hand we wish not to look like we are proping up a unpopular NuLabour government. Perhaps the best idea would be to work with neither as a move in the direction of NuLabour would be going up against what the media thought Nick said and a move to the Tory party would be hard to swallow given our differences in policies and over all culture.

• I’m a libertarian, not a Lib Dem, but I can’t imagine your party will give this “offer” any consideration whatsoever. It is rather an insult to try to fob Clegg off with another Jenkins Commission when he holds the balance of power. You’d be best advised to let Brown back in, get a referendum on PR then go to the country with the possibility of real power.

• A new Jenkins Commission is NOT PR. By accepting this offer, the leadership would be betraying a huge number of voters and activists.

• Come on, Dungeekin. Cameron’s “Committee of Enquiry” was more transparent than the scaremongering stuff he’s been coming without with to criticize PR throughout his election campaign. It’s meaningless. Seriously, I’m guessing he is employing Sir Humphrey as one of his campaign team. In fact, isn’t “Committee of Enquiry” copy/pasted directly out of an episode(s) of Yes Minister?

• Andrew Baker 7th May '10 - 3:52pm

As a Liberal Democrat supporter, voter, campaigner, donor and party member I, of course, want what is best for the party but above that I want what is best for the nation.

During a war and an economic crisis, that could possibly get worse, what Britain needs is a strong unified government with the support of the people.

To prop up a dying Labour government would not be to act in the national interest and would be a shameful betrayal to the electorate.

David Cameron’s offer must not be dismissed. Hung parliaments are an extremely rare occurrence that allows the Liberal Democrats to assert unprecedented influence. We must not turn our back on this ambitious offer to be part of a responsible and popular government. The offer of reviewing electoral reform is, I believe, sincere. However, I do believe that our continued support of a Conservative minority administration should be conditional upon the progress made by the commission on electoral reform.

Let us be clear. If Mr Cameron reneges on his promise or the committee is blighted by orchestrated delays, then the Liberal Democrats should reveal the Conservatives for their failure to live up to their promises and trigger a vote of no confidence.

But let us accept this Conservative offer. Reject Labour’s and look forward to a new future for Britain, shaped by the Liberal Democrats.

• I would have thought the best bet is to offer to support a minority Tory government in return for a referendum on PR (with STV as the system in mind).

• Alisdair McGregor 7th May '10 - 4:01pm

No PR, no deal.

• Hey all,

The right sort of noises were made, we have to accept a) we didn’t do as well as we hoped, and b) we can’t be seen to be propping up the unpopular leadership of Gordon Brown.

The ‘comity of inquiry’ doesn’t go far enough, we need a referendum on proportional representation, where the conservative party is free to campaign against it, but it must be full proportional representation, and not the Labour Party compromise.Ceding ground on Trident missile systems and immigration seems fair in my mind.

Another interesting point is whether or not we join a coalition, or allow the conservative party to form a minority government… If there was an agreement on proportional representation, then I would be in favour of joining a coalition and having a couple of cabinet seats. The name of the game seems to be one of acceptable compromise, as no single party gained an outright majority, and is in the best interest of the nation as a whole weather it be conservative, labor, or Liberal Democrat to do what’s best for the country and not fall back to childish bickering and infighting.

Let’s roll with what we got, and build from here.

• We came a poor third. We have to face up to that fact. Being kingmaker may give the impression that we are in a strong position but that’s not the case. Every decision that we end up making will draw criticism – that is the consequence of not convincing enough people to back our policies.

Plumping with Labour no more guarantees the prize of electoral reform than being part of a Lib-Con alliance. The inevitable patchwork nature of the tie-up with Labour and the smaller parties could easily collapse within months, without having delivered PR and having damaged our claim to represent consensual, mature politics.

Far better for us LD to be part of a strong alliance, having made the guarantee of a referendum (no need for the Tories to vote in favour) the one key demand.

It is vital that we play the long-game. Labour is on its way out. Why on earth would we tie ourselves to their sinking carcase?

• Abraham Kernow 7th May '10 - 4:15pm

Please please take whatever is offered by Cameron. I voted LD as the only way of getting Brown out. The majority of the British public has shown that they want Brown out. If Clegg goes against this wish no one will ever trust a Lib Dem again.

• It would be easy for us to choose to remain “pure” and “unsullied” by deciding to sit on the sidelines. But if we aspire to real power and responsibility we must engage with Cameron. Of course his offer is not the last word – negotiating means just that – compromise and give and take. Talk of betrayal is nonsense – we must be grown up and brave and be willing to be part of the process.

Much as I might like a “progressive alliance” what is progressive about GB’s labour party? Tying ourselves to a defeated Labour Party would be the kiss of death and does not reflect the message of the voters. Of course we want the best deal we can get but we also have a duty to try and find a way to establish a durable govt.

• I have always been a Labour voter, but switched this election to the Lib Dems. Although I have not been happy with Labour, and Gordon Brown in particular, I would be even less so if the Lib Dems cosied up with the Tories. I’d have rather given my vote to Labour in that case and the Lib Dems would be unlikely to get my vote again. My preference would be a Lib Dem/Labour coalition with Labour under a new leader, even if this was just an interim government until a new general election (presumably in 2011), when perhaps many of those denied their right to vote might be able to exercise it.

Just to add, I am desperately disappointed that the Lib Dems didn’t make a greater impact in this election. People keep moaning for change, but voting the same old way. I thought this was a real chance to give traditional politics a real kick up the backside. Oh well. Sad days.

• If Cameron will offer PR in time for the next election then there may be scope for talks. Otherwise it is Labour’s turn to make an offer and they seem seriously keen.

• Urban LibDem 7th May '10 - 5:11pm

Some of you may think I’m being histrionic but I, and lots of people I know, are feeling sick to the stomach about Clegg’s possible support for Cameron.

My partner and I are not party members but we’ve been actively campaigning, for the first time ever, to help our fantastic local LD MP here in south Manchester retain his seat. This whole area is a Tory-free zone but we know many people here who were returning to Labour after making an anti-war/pro-LD vote 5 years ago. We ourselves have more in common with Libdem principles than that and were very close to signing up as members.

But now we find that Nick Clegg is apparently all ready to jump into bed with Cameron for the sake of a few crumbs from the Tory table. This us going down like a ton of bricks with us, with the great many student supporters in this area, and with virtually everyone we know who’d moved or was tempted to move from Labour to Lib Dem.

I cannot emphasise enough how bad a LD/Tory deal would be for future LD support in places like Manchester, Leeds, and the Guardian / Independent-reading / urban constituency generally. Clegg is in severe danger of throwing away 80% of his urban support and, I estimate, a good 50% of the rest of his support with it.

My partner has already been on to his bank to see if his recent donation to LD funds could be stopped. I’m not kidding!

We’re just praying this is just some sort of very short-term bluff in Clegg’s part. But it’s not looking that way.

Some of the Lib Dems’ remaining support just got even softer. 🙁

• Andrew Suffield 7th May '10 - 8:50pm

Is it nice on your planet? Cameron made an offer. That’s all.

• Kit Mitchell 7th May '10 - 8:53pm

In all of this, our views depend on where we’re starting.

The old “left” and “right” definitions don’t work because they fail to separate economic beliefs and social attitudes: can I suggest you take a look at http://www.politicalcompass.org, do the “test” and see where you stand, then compare with the parties in this election and their historical shifts: http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010.

Then whether you think the LibDems should work with either the Tories or with New Labour becomes a tactical question as well as one of conviction.

Of course we could let the Tories form a minority government – which could be good, moderate and consensual – as we’ve found in Scotland with a minority SNP government at Holyrood.

• I for one would never vote for the Liberal Democrats again if they do a deal with Cameron. The Ideologies are so different that it sends a shiver down my spine to think we would jump into bed with them. I would rather we entered into a deal with Labour and really pressure them on progressive policies which I think would be better for the party and the nation.

• No. The offer is an insult.
    It’s worth less than the married tax person credit Cameron has insulted the nation with!

The many many left-leaning voters will walk from the LibDems at the next election if they make a deal with Cameron. I will, even if Evan Harris is the best MP science has ever had. I will not support a right-wing or right-wingish party.
    The lesbian, gay, bisexual vote will also walk away. Cameron did not say a single word about Stroud or demons!
    Capitalism threatens the planet and we need to find new ways.

• clegg would be daft to accept anything other than a concrete offer of a referendum on pr.

“An all-party committee of inquiry,” “a big, open and comprehensive offer” – cameron uses the language of a dodgy dossier. i hope libdems won’t fall for that.

our unfair system favours both tories and labour to the detriment of anyone else. cameron does NOT want to get rid of the system. clegg will be a tory poodle.

libdems got 23% of votes and 8.78% of seats – cameron’s offer is an insult.

• I voted LibDem in this election for the first time. What do the LibDems actually have in common with the Tories? There is more in common with the Labour Party, I suspect. I voted LibDem because it was the only party who acted like an opposition and who opposed the Iraq War. Although Labour led us into the Iraq War, I think the Lib Dems could make a huge impact, have more leverage and have a more positive influence in a pact with Labour and make some real changes for reform. I also think a pact with the Tories would damage the credibility of the LibDems for the future. If this happens, I will feel that the LibDems cannot be trusted and will probably never vote LibDem again.

• Of course Electoral Reform is important and Nick must use his position to secure a commitment that that the next general election will not be allowed to produce such a disparity between votes cast and seats gained
    However let us not forget we also have an oppporutunity to get our broader fairness agenda embedded in British society and that the addressing the economic crisis remains the most critical task Nick and his team must be allowed to get the best all round deal and not be expected to be fixated on our holy grail – electoral reform – to the exclusion of everything else

• i voted lib dem in a lib dem / conservative marginal. So yes, I will feel betrayed if you get into bed with cameron. I would have liked to have seen a centre left coalition – with genuine policy debate enriched by two streams of political tradition. It is a matter of judgement as to whether now is the moment for that; possibly it is better to allow the electorate to see the conservatives for what they are for a (possibly short) term.. but they are not the future of british politics. The majority of voters clearly backed progressive values of the centre left. Cameron was accurately described when obama was reported as calling him a ‘lightweight’. After an unpopular war and the financial crisis he and his party still proved unable to offer the electorate something that would command their confidence, in the form of an overall majority. Their values are not ours. To prop them up on the basis of any ‘deal’ is hardly representative of the will of the electorate; a little power may after all prove to be a dangerous thing.

A conservative government, with their financial and press backers, are not going to give a PR referendum any chance of success. I know this election was a disappointment to you but spend some time talking to the electorate to find out what happened. Work hard and build on the base you have got through the next parliament. Foster working relations with the Labour party as it renews itself (in or out of government) and with other progressive voices at home and overseas. And crucially work hard to get to know and to dialogue with the voters who backed the tories – listen to their fears, their anger and in some (many?) cases their sense of having been governed by an elite that fails to understand them. Stand by what you believe but work hard to listen to those who don’t share those beliefs.

52% of voters had the courage, in difficult times, to give a clear mandate for progressive values, a non-gun-ho approach to the economy and the deficit, electoral reform and genuine fairness. Position yourselves now to work creatively and freely with colleagues from across the parties, towards these ends. Lick your wounds and concentrate on making some great speeches in and out of parliament… and make sure the words don’t stick in your throat as they will if you’re hampered by an unhappy alliance with Cameron.

I voted lib dem despite Cleggmania, not because of it. If Labour had been in the race in this seat, probably I’d have backed them – because Brown and Mandy seem heavyweight and principled politicians though they have made mistakes, their party is in need of renewal and their democratic platform is battered (as any would be after 13 years of leadership through stormy seas) though suprisingly resilient. I didn’t feel comfortable with Clegg’s tone.. though clearly he has tremendous potential as a future leader, for now he sounded too bewitched in by his new found media platform and popularity (who wouldn’t be!).. and too happy to score easy blows in a serious time. That’s entirely forgiveable… and in this parliament, now that people know who he is.. he will be respected if he stands by his principles and grows in political maturity. After the scandals of the last parliament, integrity is perhaps the greatest political prize in the battle for trust. The one thing of clegg i saw and liked was a clip of him speaking spanish fluently, sent by a spanish friend who remarked ‘it’s always great to see a british politican speaking another language’. Clegg has enormous potential to be a leader of the future. This wasn’t your moment but have some patience to grow in political maturity. Tradition tells us that sometimes we are asked to show we can let go of what we most want, if we are to show ourselves to be worthy of it. As with your colleagues in Labour, perhaps this moment asks you not to cling to power, but to work with humility for the things you believe in most.

• The question seems to be is Clegg the real heir to Blair? … certainly looks like it at the moment – whichever way he goes, he is selling someone out… this is what happens when ideology takes a back seat and you can be all things to all men… time to focus on values and philosophy.

• By “squatting” in Downing Street, Brown has made Clegg’s position stronger. Had Brown resigned Clegg would have to take the crumbs offered – if he were offered any beyond “confidence and supply”.

If he could convince the Tories that he has other suitors he might force them to up their dowry but his comments throughout the campaign make that possibility less credible. He weakened his own had. He would now look to be either a fool or a liar if he went to form an alliance with Brown. Is he man enough to hold himslef up for ridicule?

• In all of this thread I cannot see any worthwhile reference to the appalling economic situation that the UK (in common with many other countries -Greece anyone?) is facing. Maybe I missed something in my trawl.

We have a leader in Nick Clegg who sees the national interest and (thank goodness) will put it before any other consideration. That means the country must (fairly soon) have a strong and stable government which will impress the world as to its abillity and determination to tackle that economic situation.

Nick is also a democrat. The people have voted and their voting pattern indicates they want a consensual rather than a specific dogmatic and doctrinaire approach. More of them (by some margin) think the Conservatives will represent their view than any other single party – whether we like that or not.

Provided it proves possible to negotiate an arrangement whereby the Conservatives agree enough modification of their published programme to satisfy the Lib Dems that
    (a) those elements which would seriously damage the national interest are removed and
    (b) some others which would clearly benefit the national interest are added
    then it is in my view desirable that a deal be done on an emergency budget and a Queen’s speech that the Lib Dems would whip to support. The subsequent implementation of the agreed programme would have the same assurance unless and until the government welshed on the deal. I do not think any Lib Dems should accept government posts but I would see a very desirable element of the deal being the establishment of a national cross – party economic body of the type Nick Clegg suggested in the TV debates. This would bring Vince Cable – and perhaps even Alistair Darling to the table.

Because such an arrangement would carry an overall majority of 80 with just 2 strong parties it would satisfy the essential demand for financial credibility and reasonable longevity.

The alternative – a similar deal with Labour – would carry an overall majority of only 9 unless the arrangement was rather a “rainbow” conglomeration with Scot Nats, Welsh Nats and Northern Irish Nats (SDLP) who have made it clear that they would demand heavy subsidies from the English taxpayers as the price of their votes. Impressive to the world outside? Strong? Stable? I don’t think so.

These vital considerations must be set beside the degree of support for voting reform extractable from either Conservatives or Labour. I think the tide of change on this is now virtually unstoppable but we may have to wait a bit longer before the real change we need can be nailed down. In any case I do not trust Labour any more than the Tories on this. Didn’t they have 13 years to do something about it – and everything they needed to back it up in the Jenkins report . And didn’t they drag us illegally and immorally into the Iraq war? And didn’t they spend years whittling away many of our dearest won liberties?

I am one of many Lib Dems who feel fundamentally opposed to Toryism and (at least in earlier days) much more comfortable with Labour. I am also a keen member of the Electoral Reform Society and Make Votes Count. But I say this with all the conviction at my command – our country faces crisis and the electorate would not forgive us for plunging the UK further into the mire because we did not get strong enough assurances right now on voting reform.

• Apologies – my numbers are wrong in my recent post and also I think we should omit Sinn Fein from the calculations as they will not take their seats..

A Lib Dem/Con arrangement would have an overall majority of 85.
    A Lib Dem/Lab arrangement would be in overall MINORITY by 11
    A “Rainbow” arrangement with all the Nats on board would have an overall majority of only 13.

This correction merely serves to strengthen my argument.

• Tony Butcher 8th May '10 - 10:25pm

Lib Dems should embrace this opportunity for partnership with the Conservatives and Pushing for Proportional Representation now could be bad for Lib Dems a blog: http://wp.me/pRHY4-C

• I’m only an observer here, but could a Liberal Democrat please explain to me why all the hostility to the Tories? Is it historical baggage? I’ve seen mentions of ideological differences, but the Conservatives are putting forward a pretty liberal agenda, certainly far more so than the controlling and authoritarian nature of Labour in the past decade.

On the economic split, how many of you can put your hand on your heart and say you understand the economic theories behind the two options and the consequences of each decision? If you favour stimulating economic growth through government spending, this does create government debt for the future and uncertain public finances. The Greek Government has been spending away, yet its economy is at its knees and look at the trouble it’s in now. Has government spending there prevented recession? It wouldn’t seem so. How is the UK situation different in that Government spending in the UK will boost our economy ? Ireland has followed the economic policy the Tories are supporting and it certainly seems in the better position than Greece. Besides, taking money from individuals for the state to spend certainly doesn’t seem very Liberal.

So, why the hatrid towards the Conservatives?

• passing tory 8th May '10 - 11:19pm

Ben, I fear that hatred of the Tories is one of the few unifying features amongst grassroots Lib Dems. Why? Partly just old fashioned tribalism, partly a vastly different take on the concept of egality (do you want a distribution to have minimum spread (LD) or highest mean (Tory)) and partly a whole package of history.

But it does seem very strange that in the current finanical context, posters here are currently concentrating on calling for PR than worrying about the differences in how to tackle the deficit (where there are differences for sure, but where a clear-cut solution is clearly required).

• I usually vote labour, but voted Lib Dem this time. I have a fear of Tory values. If I had known Liberal Democrats might align themselves with David Cameron I would have stuck with Labour. I feel cheated !

• Cameron was saying what he thinks. There is a lot of scope for common ground amongst the conservative movement between Conservatives and Lib Dems. Tax Policies difference aren’t a big deal. Why should people within the same family be taxed for giving money to each other? How much money does inheritance tax raise? Not much.

In the national interest, collaboration between parties should be encouraged to deal with the economic problems. Labour under Brown haven’t shown that they will put the national interest above party interest. A Conservative/Lib Dem Alliance might. PR isn’t a big deal right now. are PR will happen anyway at some point because of strength of Lib Dems in recent elections. Time for Lib Dems to show that they are useful to the country.

• I am sick to the stomach at the thought of Clegg selling us down the river on an inadequat deal with the Tories when we could have a grand progressive coelition with a guareteed referendum on fair votes.

No Bill or BINDING referendum on PR – no deal.

• Listen to you all, who do you think you are?

You’re sick of clegg selling you down the river, you must form an alliance with Labour?

Lets forget seat numbers as they are an unfair and distorted picture. But on the popular vote, you cam third after a bad night, Labour were hammered. Do you really believe it is the national interest for you as the third most popular party to prop up a dying and dismissed Labour Government in exchange for your christmas list.

It would be a national outrage, your vote on PR with a “coalition of losers” as the press will brand it, will become a vote by the public on their dissatisfation of the thrid party jumping into bed with the governing party wom the country roundly rejected. There would be a massive oppositiion. If the flaky coalition could stay together, the country qwould use the referendum to show their huge dissapproval. And I reckon Labour once re-grouped and if they had a new leader would campaign against it, there record on honouring promises to you is not good. they are desperate wand will say or do anything to cling on.

To get your coalition to work you would need nationalists. This would cause outrage in England where the conservatives are by far and away the biggest party, the media would be relentless. The outrage would be enormous.

“For all the Lib Dems talk of fairness and new politics, when push came to shove the third party propped up a governement the country rejected and handed power for all English affairs to the welsh and scottish nationalists, who have their own governments, when Englands largerst party by far is the Conservatives, when the party with the largest mandate was the conservatives and for what, why would such an act of selfish betrayal be forced on the electorate in such a time of massive national crisis? it is simple – their party political dreams of voting reform came above all else – is this what you want in future – if you vote for PR, parties with no mandate will join with whomever they like in exchange for demands – is this how you want your vote to be used”

You will then have the nationailsts making wholly unreasonable demands, and if they didn’t get their demands by sandbagging you and labour, they could easily join a vote of no confidence.

Either way with Labour, I don’t think you will win a vote on PR as it will be not be a vote on PR it will be a vote against what you did.

If at any point the flaky coalition falls it will be curtains for you, the electorate will not forgive easily.

Just like a referendum on the details of the Lisbon treaty, would really have been to the many of the public, a vote on whether you like europe or their attitudes to the french or germans for instance (not on the merits of political intergration).

Do you think the public would ever forgive you, in a time of massive economic crisis, when we at war, that when you were presented with a golden opportunity to walk the moral high ground, show that coalition can work, and you behaved like obstinate children.

I am absolutely all for a fairer voting sytem,the current is NOT fair to the Lib Dems, it isn’t and MUST be changed, but lets seriously talk national interest FIRST here. The Debt and Deficit as Greece riots, troops dying in Afghanistan, record youth unemployment, massive unemployment, poor educational standards.

Tommorow will probably see a run on the pound.

But still your agenda is PR. You put PR in your manifesto, you bought it up in 3 debates, you went to the country, you finished third in the popular vote, and now the end result (if this is to show how your fairer PR system works), is that the third party is effictively deciding who governs the nation, and only if they get their personal party political demands met. The tail is now wagging the dog.

I am a Liberal Conservative, most today in the party are not the 2 headed beasts you have etched on the brain after Thatchers 80’s, we are reasonable and responsible. I am all for a new system that is fair to all. And there must be some attempts to ensure it is looked at – Cameron and Clegg should make it law that some form of vote will happen near the end of the parliment, then there is time to sell the idea to sceptic cons, and so they can get o with the real job of running the country. whilst you squabble over what is the best way to elect someone to run the country – nobody is effectively running the country.

I like the DV delegated vote as it is truly proportional and can still result in majority governements more often than PR, which sees all this party political agenda consuming national interest.

Working with the Tories is the biggest acid test you could have to prove this can work, grasp the nettle. This is a time of national crisis, you are being given the opportunity to not just fire pot shots from oppostion, but be active in goverening the shape of our nations future.

Lets make one thing clear, (and this is not me personally),

1) the grassroots tories are as equally opposed to PR as you are in favour or it

2) It is simply not possible to deliver it in a weekend just because you have tantrums.

3) It is not the issue that the public whom our parties are responsible for hold at the top of their agenda.

Rather than trying to work out who might think what of you, grasp the nettle. You are going to co-run the nation. After a pretty bad night when you were all probably dissappointed. The Lib/Con government can work. Try and look at all sides of the coin, rather than just what you demand.

And I hope we will be partners int he national interest.

• Well said Adam .Step up to the plate Lib Dems .

• I voted Lib Dem for progressive reasons. I saw them as a moderate progressive party with a greater concern for civil liberties, the environment and electoral reform than the Labour party. I am instinctively opposed to the Conservatives. Should Clegg strike a deal with the Tories I will have little choice but to switch my vote to only remaining progressive anti-conservative force – a post-brown Labour party. I think countless other people in my position will have little trouble supporting the main opposition party led by a Milliband.