The curious case of Iain Dale and the truncated news release

A rather unfortunate posting over on Iain Dale’s blog this evening about the Crewe and Nantwich by-election. Iain writes:

It seems to me that the Conservatives should be very careful not fight an aggressive campaign here. They don’t need to launch attacks on the Labour Candidate. They need to be the voice of sweet reason and play up their candidate’s local record – but then go for Gordon Brown’s throat on the 10p tax debacle and other issues. And this is exactly what Edward Timpson seems to be doing. He’s just released this rather interesting letter to the press…

Curiously, he then only quotes the first half of Edward Timpson’s news release, leaving out the second half. Can you guess what the second half of the release contains? Ah, that’d be a series of personal attacks on the Labour Candidate.

Oops.

(If you want to read the bits that Iain’s posting doesn’t mention, you can read them here.)

UPDATE: As Iain makes clear in a comment below, the version of the release he saw didn’t include the second half.

Read more by or more about , or .
This entry was posted in Parliamentary by-elections.

• Chris Blore 4th May '08 - 8:48pm

It’s great to see you Lib Dems are already so rattled. Mind you, the Lib Dems are hardly the cleanest campaigners when it comes to by-elections are they? I this instance I agree with you though. I do think it’s unfortunate that the release also contained those “personal attacks” on Tamsin Dunwoody, however true they may be.

• David Morton 4th May '08 - 10:38pm

Laurence,

I hope you aren’t suggesting that Mark pack uses this site for his own personal obsessions and trivia ?

• Johnny Evenham-Hickers 4th May '08 - 10:47pm

Dale is a bit of a child on occasions – seems to put childish tribalism ahead of his reputation. His loss I suppose.

• David Morton 4th May '08 - 10:49pm

1. Ian has published every comment I have left him including those slagging him off.

2. i suspect from the early posts that this site is heading to a Southgate level of nonsence and as such i will abstain till after its over. shan’t stop me going to the by election as sadly i believe in liberalism but if we are headed for another 4 weeks of who isn’t and is most local when all 3 main party candidates live outside the seat then I can’t be bothered .

• These are actually valid criticisms of the Labour candidate, regardless of what Iain Dale wrote on his blog.

What are the chances of a Labour defeat in C&N?

• BREAKING NEWS 5th May '08 - 2:22am
  • Typical Iain Dale behaviour.

• Chris Blore 5th May '08 - 10:08am

Stephen, I tend to agree with you on that point. However, if I’m not very much mistaken, at no point did Mrs Thatcher promise to serve a “full term” in the same manner as Tony Blair did prior to the 2005 General Election. Although the Prime Minister is not directly elected, they often have an effect on the electorate’s voting decisions come polling day (witness last week’s Labour meltdown) and I know many people are still bitter about the fact that Mr Brown was ‘snuck in’ by the Labour Party last summer.

• ‘I think the post office closure programme needs to be suspended immediately…’ how did 3,500 post offices just disapear under the Tories? ID cards – Michael Howard. Lisburn Treaty – when did the Tories ever give us a referendum on a EU Treay?

• Hywel Morgan 5th May '08 - 12:17pm

“I criticise Iain Dale without just cause or reason and this simply isn’t the case.”

Why is it relevant who else was in Paul Staines car then?

• Jennie, re: your statement that:

“Iain reaches his position of “top Tory blogger” because so many people read his blog, and I suspect that lots of those readers are reading him purely to disagree with him.”

I read and comment, and it does feel very lonely sometimes. Perhaps you and other progressives could help me battle the Verities and Newmanias of the blogosphere 🙂

• I think Iain Dale and a few other Tories would be all right if you met them in person. I can imagine some bloggers being really obnoxious, but not him.

• Susan Gaszczak 5th May '08 - 5:41pm

Enough! And we wonder why between 30 and 60% of the population stay home on polling day. Fight about policy, tell your story, lets grow up and leave this alone!

• If you don’t like what is posted here, send something in yourself and see if you can get it published!