Emily Thornberry apologises for comparing the Lib Dems to the Taliban

In the House if Commons last night, Labour’s foreign affairs spokesperson, Emily Thornberry has apologised for comparing the Liberal Democrat’s to the Taliban:

She said at the start of her speech tonight:

Can I take this opportunity Mr Speaker, because we are debating vital issues int he Middle East, to apologise publicly to my Liberal Democrat colleagues for my crass throwaway Taliban remark in an interview last week.

I’m sorry for what I said and I believe that our politics is better when we can be honest and apologise for our mistakes.

A lesson that Her Majesty’s Prime Minister would be well placed to learn.”

Read more by or more about .

• Charles Pragnell 26th Sep '19 - 7:28am

Perhaps the PM should take a lesson in saying sorry. Ms Thornberry had the grace to apologise .
    Where an unrepentant PM used his bully boy tactics. His actions remind of the “Tom Brown’s school days”.A bully called Flashman. His home bug comment on abuse of MPs was absolutely disgusting . It is also alarming that Jo’s son is being threatened. This rise of popularism has taken us back to the 1930s.
    I hope that the opposition will meet later today . My hope is a charge of contempt of parliament will be brought against him.

• chris moore 26th Sep '19 - 8:57am

Well done, Emily Thornberry.

• I’m not a fan of hers in general, but this was classy.

• John Marriott 26th Sep '19 - 9:40am

Good on her. She’s quite a feisty lady, who might make an acceptable successor to JC. Anyone, who was prepared to muck out the toilets on a cross channel ferry, can’t be all that bad. I’ll even forgive her that tweet about the Cross of St George!

• The PM and his Attorney General must have thought they were addressing the Reichstag in about 1932. There is a very clear resemblance if you have seen the BBC Rise of the Nazis series. It is frightening.

• John Marriott 26th Sep '19 - 11:20am

@nevelope2003
    The main difference was that the MPs in the Reichstag were seated in a semi circle. It was recorded even back then. I remember years ago listening to a recording of what the commentator referred to as “torbulente Auseinandersetzungen “, which included an admonition from the ‘Reichstagspräsident’ of one Walter Ulbricht who, twenty years or so later, emerged as the General Secretary of the SED, the de facto ruler of the former German Democratic Republic.

When did we manage first to record the proceedings of OUR parliament?

• Cedric Smith 26th Sep '19 - 12:53pm

Thornberry’s apology would have been more sincere if she’d omitted the silly jibe about the Prime Minister.

• Sue Sutherland 26th Sep '19 - 1:20pm

I didn’t think this would happen, so, thank you for your apology Emily Thornberry.

• Most likely her motivation to apologise was to make the jibe at Mr Johnson. But if people want to believe she did it out of sincerity, then it’s their choice. She’s one of the least humble and sincere politicians, but if people want to believe she’s suddenly changed then good on them

• Well done Emily Thornberry, that was classy.

What’s been upsetting me so much, much more than anything else, though, is that Johnson and the right are battering everyone else for denying Brexit – but they all voted against it three times (him twice) when they had a majority. No one campaigned for a no deal Brexit – why are we not battering home the message that we (and I mean all remainders) are not allowing history to be rewritten ?

• Yeovil Yokel 26th Sep '19 - 4:04pm

I welcome the apology, if it was sincerely meant. But the cynic in me thinks that this is political calculation on Thornberry’s part: she knows that Labour’s polling is dire under the party’s current leadership, and that Labour will need the LD’s help if it is to have any chance of forming a government.

• Daniel Walker 26th Sep '19 - 4:40pm

@Yeovil Yokel “But the cynic in me thinks that this is political calculation on Thornberry’s part

Having watched the video of the apology, it came across as sincere enough to me.

• Gordon Lishman 27th Sep '19 - 8:40am

I’m not sure I’d take the Flashman comparison much further, given his later career and memoirs!