Five Labour councillors switch to the Tories in Ealing

ConservativeHome has the news.

Read more by or more about .

• And they didn’t switch to us? Let’s admit it, guys, we’re not going to win this one (Sedgefield maybe?). This contest is, sadly, between Labour and Tony Lit (the Tory chap). It’s certainly put me off from going there. Who’s running our campaign?

• Shocking isnt it – taking opponents’ leaflets out of letter boxes! Let John Stevens know. Lib Dems are such high minded people who would never resort to such dastardly scullduggery.

• Des Gray is a garden gate.

• I’m no garden gate, let me assure you. I’m in the process of joining the party in Richmond, where I live. I understand the ‘rough and tumble’ of politics, but please don’t insult me. I’m a genuine liberal.

• James, I am tough on self righteousness tough on the causes of self righteousness.

• These 5 Southall councilllors are people the Liberal Democrats wouldn’t touch with a TV mast. The Tories are very, very welcome to them. Right place for them, I’d say.

Back in 1996, as Housing Chair, Gurcharan Singh received a memo from a fellow Labour councillor asking him to give priority on the housing list to a Labour family so as to move them into a marginal ward. We don’t know if Singh acted on the memo. What we do know is someone leaked it. And Tim Reville, the officer charged with investigating the indicent, described Steve Pound’s role as “ambiguous”.

• Real Liberal 9th Jul '07 - 12:19pm

Angus, you make some very serious claims. So serious, that they lay you and this site wide open to legal action. I suggest they be removed. As a party, we’ve let some very dodgy characters in – I’m not going to name names, but it’s true.

• “Real Liberal” – I do happen to have a 2:1 degree in law – do you? Thanks for the legal advice, but I don’t think I need it.

What I said about Singh and Pound is a matter of record. I am quoting Tim Reville, an officer of the London Borough of Ealing who penned a confidential report that was leaked to the press by Stuart Jackson MP.

I am perfectly entitled to say that various Southall councillors are useless. Their record of silence and inaction is justification aplenty.

I do have a modicum of regard for the Labour councillor who wrote that stupid memo, so I don’t stoop to naming him. What is important is that Councillor X clearly believed that Singh would act on it. Now why should he think that?

Well, he was wrong, as subsequent events now prove. Singh’s commitment to the Labour Party was skin deep. As soon as they refuse him a Parliamentary selection he up sticks and joins the enemy in a fit of pique.

Perhaps the people of Southall today are saying to themselves: “A plague on all these characters” ???

• BTW, I am one of the last people on Earth to jump to the defence of Steve Pound, but try as I might, I cannot see that he did anything wrong by attending a County Court hearing to give moral support to a Labour Party activist and co-religionist.

Trouble is, Tim Reville is a neutral Council officer, I am one of Pound’s enemies (!!!)

• Geoffrey Payne 9th Jul '07 - 1:40pm

For the record Des, the Lib Dems are doing very well in Southall and have an excellent candidate and an excellent campaign team. I went canvassing there on Sunday and I was very impressed with the response.
    I road I canvassed on did not have a single Tory supporter. But plenty of Lib Dem supporters, I handed out 6 posters, and only 2 people said they would vote Labour.
    If you are a genuine Lib Dem member as you claim, I suggest you go there and find out for yourself.

• Cllr Abid Latif Chohan 9th Jul '07 - 2:14pm

I think Des could be right. I have many friends in Southall, mainly muslim, who plan to vote for Mr Lit. I really hate Labour. Could we withdraw at this stage to give Lit a free run? We could devide the anti-Labour vote and let them back in. I don’t normally endorse tactical voting, but this time its right to do it. Have looked at the 2006 results and its clear that we’re not going to take it. As a liberal democrat councillor, I wish Mr Lit well. [EDITOR’S NOTE: CLLR CHOHAN HAS DENIED HE IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS AND OTHER POSTS IN HIS NAME – SEE Lib Dem councillor denies tactical vote slur FOR MORE.]

• Cheltenham Robin 9th Jul '07 - 2:22pm

I have just spent a long weekend in Southall.

From the canvass returns I saw, the Tories are clearly in 3rd place, so no Cllr Chohan, we won’t be giving Mr Lit (the 10 minute Tory)a free run.

• Not Winning Here 9th Jul '07 - 2:31pm

Face it – the Lib Dems have no chance in Ealing – it’s a Labour stronghold even with these defections.

• Cllr Abid Latif Chohan 9th Jul '07 - 2:32pm

They are my words. Yes, I’m in Manchester. just want to get labour out, thats all. [EDITOR’S NOTE: CLLR CHOHAN HAS DENIED HE IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS AND OTHER POSTS IN HIS NAME – SEE Lib Dem councillor denies tactical vote slur FOR MORE.]

• 19 I agree. It is clearly preposterous to claim that the Lib Dems could never get close to the 12% swing they need to win Southall.

In the famous Ipswich by-election they only managed a 7.6% swing from Labour.

Admittedly they did a little better in Hartlepool (18.9%), Leicester South (21.5%), Brent East (29%) and Hodge Hill (27.7%), but why let a few inconveneient facts get in the way of a good trolling eh?

• Cllr Abid Latif Chohan 9th Jul '07 - 2:50pm

Mr Howells, I have looked at the result of the most recent council elections. Torys very close to labour, and us nowhere. We only have 1 cllr there vs. (now) 19 for torys. In Manchester, its lib who can beat labour but not Southall. [EDITOR’S NOTE: CLLR CHOHAN HAS DENIED HE IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS AND OTHER POSTS IN HIS NAME – SEE Lib Dem councillor denies tactical vote slur FOR MORE.]

• Cllr Abid Latif Chohan 9th Jul '07 - 2:55pm

I should declare that I know Mr Lit personally. [EDITOR’S NOTE: CLLR CHOHAN HAS DENIED HE IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS AND OTHER POSTS IN HIS NAME – SEE Lib Dem councillor denies tactical vote slur FOR MORE.]

• Grammar police 9th Jul '07 - 3:28pm

If “Cllr Chohan” had looked at most relevant election, he’d see that we were in second place, ahead of the Tories.

• Lib Dems should definitely stay in the race, that will give Mr Lit the best chance of winning.

• Richard Huzzey 9th Jul '07 - 4:22pm

This thread stinks of Tory supporters posting here in the hope of being quoted as Lib Dem supporters in election literature (as Tory Home was quoted in Labour literature).

• “Those of us who’ve been to Ealing Southall can attest to the number of people who’ve stopped us in the streets and said they’re backing Nigel Bakhai as the challenger to Labour.”

Not quite the same as being hopeful of winning or coming second. I wish more Lib Dems actually did believe they had a chance, it might divert their campaigning away from other areas where they could do more damage.

• “Don’t let yourselves get befuddled by the Tory air war!”

hear hear! Keep up the campaign in Ealing Southall

• Has anyone seen Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne or David Laws in Ealing Southall? Are they avoiding the campaign because they think we can’t win and they’ll be ‘untarnished’ by it?

• Cheltenham Robin 9th Jul '07 - 5:17pm

From what I saw in Ealing, the Tories have got little else apart from their air war.

Their loudspeaker cars that drive around all day are just annoying people and there is Scepticism about Tony Lit (the ten minute Tory) who is clearly in 3rd place.

The vibe on the streets is that there is good support for Nigel Bakhai but don’t take my word for it – get down there for a few days and help Nigel and the hardworking campaign team.

• The good people of Southall like to tell people what they want to hear. Many tell each candidate they can depend on their support. I urge Lib Dems to keep campaigning hard though.

• We in the Lib Dems are very good at telling each other what we want to hear also. I think we need to get serious. I agree we need to campaign hard, but we also need to acknowledge this one is going to be tough!

• It's a three horse race 9th Jul '07 - 6:56pm

Here are the facts.

The LibDems are in third place in Ealing, have chosen a long-time failed candidate, and are now seriously contesting that an en-masse defection of TEN councillors to the Tories is a good thing for the Yellow Birds!

It smacks of yet more tired two-horse race claptrap from a failed party.

Good luck in Ealing – it’s a comedy watching the yellow perils fail.

• Why should the LibDems win in Ealing Southall?

Perhaps because our candidate lives in the constituency, and is active in the local community. The Tory is from elsewhere, despite daddy owning a radio station there.

Or maybe because we came second last time – with the Tories pushed into third place.

• I agree – LibDems tell each other what they want to hear. The is a lot of gushing posting here trying to cheer up the troops methinks. I may well go to help in Southall but will be honest about what I find. I am going there in business in a few days so will report on the poster war!

• Chris Huhne has certainly been – there was a photo of him out delivering leaflets in the rain on Andy Mayer’s blog a few days ago.

I’d be surprised if Nick and David haven’t also been – most of the Lib Dem Mps have put in at least one appearance and some have been several times.

• Lib Dem member 9th Jul '07 - 11:00pm

H-Lad:- would you mind replying to one of the comments from myself or others querying whether you are the Liberal Democrat party member that you claim to be?

The evidence seems to be that you are a fake (sorry if that is a blunt word) as you have ignored these queries, you display no knowledge of what your local party is doing, you display no knowledge of communications with party members (at least the ones I receive) and you are always talking the party down.

If I put those all together that equals a Tory or Labour lying about who they are.

I am happy to be put right and to apologise, but are you willing to reply to any of these points?

• “and are now seriously contesting that an en-masse defection of TEN councillors ”

weren’t they just 5? Are there been 5 further defections?

• Daniel Bowen 10th Jul '07 - 12:13am

40 – Rik Willis please post under your own name.

• Before the permanently smirking Hugh Grant impersonator posed so gloatingly with those 5 ex-Labour councillors today, he should surely have asked himself WHY Walworth Road had to intervene to prevent Gurcharan Singh becoming the candidate.

Sometimes defectors can be more trouble that they’re worth, especially when their motive for changing horses has more to do with personal spite or desperation than a genuine Pauline conversion.

Remember those 22 Labour councillors in Islington who defected to the SDP? A right shower they were. Anyone recall Jim Wellbeloved (“Mr James Muchdisliked”), Michael O’Halloran (sober sometimes), or the curmudgeonly John Grant? Did they do the Alliance an ounce of good? Er… nope. They just added to the impression tha the SDP was a lifeboat for failed, discredited hacks.

Just be thankful Singh and his cronies didn’t join the Lib Dems.

As for David Cameron, he is behaving like the shallow prep school brat we know he is.

• Mr Huck
    The tone of bitterness and desperation in your comment is clear for all to see.
    As Corporal Jones used to say in Dads Army.
    “They dont like it up em”
    As i said in my previous posting those that live by the sword will die by it so you better get used to the Tories campaigning more aggressively against the Lib Dems.
    The older grassroots might be disaffected but a lot of younger Conservatives who became disillusioned with the party in the 1990s are now returning and they are hungry for the fight.
    I am not saying they will win Ealing Southall but it is a portent of things to come.

• ‘Has anyone seen Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne or David Laws in Ealing Southall? Are they avoiding the campaign because they think we can’t win and they’ll be ‘untarnished’ by it?’

Yes, Laws was there yesterday.

• Grammar police 10th Jul '07 - 9:26am

“The older grassroots might be disaffected but a lot of younger Conservatives who became disillusioned with the party in the 1990s are [spending their time pretending to be Lib Dems whilst posting on Lib Dem voice and yet calling for the deletion of any post that doesn’t follow the party line on Conservativehome]”

Well, at least they’re not out campaigning.

• “The tone of bitterness and desperation in your comment is clear for all to see.”

No bitterness, no desperation, Mr Crowley.

Just mild amusement at the trouble the clown, Cameron, is letting himself in for (if grammar schools were not sufficient, that is).

The US military industrial complex, who dispatched Frank Luntz to get Cameron the leadership must be wondering why they bothered.

Cameron has the worst discriminatory judgment of any Tory leader in history. Even Ted Heath, when MI5 told him to stop having sex in public lavatories, had the sense to listen.

No, Mr Crowley, Lib Dems are well used to aggressive Tory campaigning. Even in Sutton, where Lib Dems have consistently wiped the floor with you for over a decade.

(Oh, and those 22 Islington councillors. All but one lost his seat at the subsequent election. Maybe that’s the portent of things to come, young Mr Crowley.)

• Mr Huck

I may well lose my seat at the next election but the voters will decide that and we live in different times to the Islington debacle.
    When the voters of Sutton see how the Ruling Lib Dem cllrs are voting through retrospective allowance payments we will see how the electorate react.
    David Cameron hasnt made them do that.
    The emperors new clothes have even begun to fall off in Sutton with the announcement in the annual report that the council is in the bottom qtr of value for money in waste management even though this is meant to be the councils flagship policy.
    Mr Huck i feel flattered that you called me young.I might now have to use that in my literature.
    Hope to meet you one day.

Regards

The young Crow

• Don’t think I’ll ever have the pleasure of your acquaintance, Mr Crowley. We mix in rather different circles.

• Paul Scully 11th Jul '07 - 6:57am

53. Angus Huck

You may wish to widen your circle so that you can get little more rounded view of the world.

• Sean Ludlow-Harris 11th Jul '07 - 8:48am

I’m terribly sorry, and certainly don’t wish to be partisan but Mr. Huck certainly does appear to be rather sore on this point.

Imagine, but for a moment, that the mass of defecting councillors went from Labour to the Lib Dems rather than the Conservatives. The Lib Dems would be hailing this as a shining example of the appealling success of their party.
    We now know that nothing could be further from the truth. The stultifying effect of Sir Menzies’ leadership is causing considerable internal anxiety in the Lib Dems which is far more akin to the ungovernable Tories of old.

It seems to me that the Liberal Democrats are becoming the New Nasty Party. And it’s obvious given the last election in Sutton and the considerable gains made by the Conservatives that the allure of voting Lib Dem is now waning.

Sorry, Mr. Huck, but that’s how it looks to me.

• proudandloud 13th Jul '07 - 11:13am

Yes, I have seen all of them there.