Not everything you read on the internet about UKIP and Nigel Farage is true

nigel farageThis morning, Facebook timelines were bombarded with an image of Nigel Farage next to a quote in which he is supposed to have said that UKIP wanted to ban beards of more than 2 inches. “The beard goes or you go” he is supposed to have said on Anglia Radio on Saturday. After a quick (and horrible) mental image of Prime Minister Farage banning Z Z Top from entering the country, I quickly realised that it didn’t sound right. And if it had been true, such a juicy quote as that would surely have appeared before now in other news sources.

So I did a bit of searching. Anglia Radio doesn’t appear to exist, not as a radio station anyway, and there is simply no evidence to suggest that Farage ever said this.

It’s a shame that somebody has felt the need to throw this red herring into the mix because there is so much that Farage has said that actually is ridiculous. Let’s not forget that in 2010, he actually was in favour of banning the burka, according to the BBC. He’s since, apparently, changed his mind, but I was amused by his apparent feminism, talking of the burka being used to oppress women. That would be the same Farage who thinks that women who have children are of less value in the workplace and who leads the party who failed to vote for equal pay for men and women. And they want to make it up to employers whether to give parental leave or not. From UKIP’s East Sussex website

UKIP proposes to vastly simplify this legislation.  It would be up to each employer to decide whether to offer parental leave and this would be one of the items included in the standard employment contract (see above). An SME which refuses to offer parental leave will either have to offer young women higher salaries than other businesses which offer a long leave period or they will simply have to recruit from a smaller pool of potential employees.

Compare and contrast to the Liberal Democrats who are committed to allowing parents to decide for themselves how to split their entitlement to a year’s leave following the birth of a baby, who are enthusiastically behind the principle of equal pay and who are enthusiastic if at times critical friends of the EU, who know that the best way to effect change is to be in there working together with colleagues. That’ll be how George Lyon, in his role as Vice Chair of the Parliament’s Budget Committee helped broker a £30 billion budget cut.

There is no need to make stuff up about Farage and UKIP – there’s more than enough crazy stuff out there that is directly attributable to them.  This has always been the way. Five years ago, just before the European election, I wrote about how they are really bad news. I could have written the same things today:

They have nothing positive to offer – their literature is a seemingly potent cocktail of half truth and scare story with no solutions to anything. The recycling is the best place for it.

It just goes to show, though, that, however plausible something might seem, you do need to check your sources before clicking like. All may not be as it seems.

Read more by or more about , , or .

• Caron with respect everything you have written isn’t quite true and could be seen as a cocktail of half truth and scare stories. This is what Nigel said
    “A woman who has a client base, has a child and takes two or three years off – she is worth far less to her employer when she comes back than when she went away because that client base won’t be stuck as rigidly to her portfolio”
    This is exactly what would happen to people who have had to take long term sick leave in that line of work as happened to my brother, he became less valuable to his employer as he lost his client base while ill.
    He simply stated that women who chose to have children end up making less money for their employers as the clients go elsewhere.
    You are reading far too much into a simple fact and yet again obsessing about UKIP .
    I would like you to watch the video links below with an open mind and you might understand a little more about why people stay with UKIP

• Jayne Mansfield 20th May '14 - 6:33pm

Do people stay with Ukip?

I thought they had lost 45% of their MEPs since 2009.

• Jayne I was referring to voters

• Caron

” there is so much that Farage has said that actually is ridiculous. Let’s not forget that in 2010, he actually was in favour of banning the burka,”

Not a UKIP supporter, but is the idea of banning the burka so ridiculous? I’m sure that at least some of the women who are required to wear it would be happy if it was banned.

• jedibeeftrix 20th May '14 - 8:04pm

Yes, it is wrong.

The state should not be telling me what to wear.

• jedibeeftrix

Not saying it’s right or wrong, not really sure. I do agree the state should not normally tell us what to wear, but do these women really have a choice? I just don’t think it’s ridiculous for someone to think the burka should be banned.

• @ Jedi

“The state should not be telling me what to wear.”

• jedibeeftrix 20th May '14 - 9:20pm

“I take it the Lib Dems argue for the repeal of the Sexual Offence Act 2003 then?”

Hi Simon,

No idea what this legislation is, or what ill results it has spawned. Regardless, i’ll start from first principles:
    1. I care more about negative liberty than positive, therefore gov’t can butt out and people are free to fail (as well as succeed).
    2. Never create laws that will be widely held in contempt, for in doing so you undermine the sanctity of the law (less laws is better).

• Jayne Mansfield 20th May '14 - 9:51pm

@Simon,
    Why don’t you tell them that the proposal on banning the burkha has been overturned? That the proposal and rationale was made by Nigel Farage in 2010, and having given it 3 years thought, your leadership recognised that as a libertarian party, telling women what to wear was not ‘libertarian’?

• Jayne Mansfield 20th May '14 - 10:27pm

Oh Dear, perhaps Nige forgot to tell him.

‘Ukip’s Muslim Veil ban policy has been reversed, Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall says.’ Huffington Post. Dated 19th September, 2013.

• George Potter

I guess it would be silly to introduce a law when it would be crazy to send someone to jail for breaking it. I’m not sure that I agree that the vast majority of those who wear the burka are happy to do so, especially the younger women. However, since it is the BNP policy to ban it that is a fair indication that I may be wrong. I still don’t think it’s ridiculous to think about a ban, if I’m not mistaken it is banned in certain professions already – doctors, nurses, teaching etc – but I could be mistaken and not for the first time.

• I wonder whether the MSM feel any guilt about whipping up this anti UKIP hysteria now? Unlikely I am guessing…

Google Bobby Anwar UKIP.

• Do you remember the BBC DJ forced to resign for playing “The Sun has got his hat on”?

Jasmine Lawrence, Editor BBC News Channel has been tweeting anti UKIP propaganda in clear contravention of the BBC Charter

Section 5.1

“BBC editorial staff and anyone involved in producing election related content
    must avoid compromising the BBC’s impartiality or bringing the BBC into
    disrepute by their activities, such as by expressing their own views on political
    matters, either on personal websites or social media, eg personal Twitter
    accounts. ”

She wrote:

#WhyI’mVotingUKIP – to stand up for white, middle class, middle aged men w sexist/racist views, totally under represented in politics today—
    Jasmine Lawrence (@journomummy) May 21, 2014

How much do you want to bet SHE won’t be forced to resign?

Nah, there isn’t any anti UKIP bias in the MSM, we kippers just imagine it…

• Is it just me, or has the MSM coverage of UKIP descended into farce?

Protestor to Michael Crick, “I am Romainan, you are Romanican too.” His reply: “I’m not Romanian I was born in Northampton. I went to Romania once.” 🙂

• James Fowles 22nd May '14 - 8:04am

I do not agree that all burkas should be banned. However, I feel that every business owner has the right to refuse entry to anyone who has their face fully obscured. This includes full face burkas, bike helmets, balaclavas etc. Also, it should becompulsory l to show your face when requested by police or licenced security. And finally, having your face fully obscured should be illegal in high security risk places, like airports, banks and hospitals.

• Revenons a nos moutons.

By which I mean of course the media treatment of UKIP and Nige in particular. The last day has been disappointing, I expected a rash of “Farage stole my knickers” says Nanny or something. But it seems as if the Establishment have given up. Ome almost feels sorry, so comprehensive has been the defeat of effete political liberalism.

It is polling day, the die is being cast, and everyone is resigned to the political earthquake that Nige promised, and will deliver.

Isn’t that a novelty? A politician who promises something and then delivers it? I put it to you that that is part of his appeal. His frankness and honesty compared to the leaders of LibLabCon. Obsessed with a few swing voters in marginals, and utterly contemptuous of millions of our people who are either taken for granted or disregarded.

Even as bitter opponents who have been destroyed can you not at least recognise and appreciate that the UKIP spring has been a reinvigoration of our democracy? As democrats, can’t you welcome that?

The other aspect of Nigel is his courage. Which leader in our post war history, and I include both Foot and Kinnock have been monstered at a personal level in this way? He has borne the attacks with grace and good humour, and that has earned the respect of the British people.

I suspect even you, though you despise him must at least recognise that indefatigability and raw courage. If you don’t well that reflects more on you than him. Say what you like, his extraordinary personal achievement in grabbing British politics by the scruff its neck and dominating it, is without easy parallel.

This is going to be quite a historic few days. UKIP have changed the political debate in this country for ever.

• Jayne Mansfield 22nd May '14 - 10:47am

@ Simon,
    If it is correct, I do welcome the fact that some people who have never voted before are now becoming motivated, whether they vote for Ukip or not. However, It is an election that still doesn’t seem to have much interest for the majority, even after the jolly man in the pub campaign mounted by Ukip.

Ukip came second in the European elections last time, and I would have thought that they will probably scoop up the deserters from the now crumbled BNP, so I wouldn’t exactly call it an earthquake. Ukip have never been short on hyperbole, I’ll give you that!

I do not understand your complaints against the media. Are you saying that your leader and those candidates who make the most disgusting of comments, ( some who are still standing for election, so no doubt I will die by hanging), did not make those comments?

Brave? You seem to me to be a bunch of ‘cry babies’. Infamy, infamy, everybody’s got it in fa me.

• Update

For those who don’t read Guido (why not, you should!) Jasmine Lawrence the BBC Editor who thought it was so witty and bien pensant to join the #whyI’mVotingUKIP hashtag has been relieved of her duties for the rest of the election.

What about the fair and balanced performance of her duties before she outed herself? I’ll let the great British Public decide on that.

Oh, they already did! 🙂

• @ Jayne

Very true, but who is to blame for that? UKIP or the LibLabCon and media establishment? Treat the voters with contempt and they will return the favour.

Consider this, we may get 40% turnout, although it will probably be less. Without the UKIP vote what would the turnout be? Less than 25%???

The responsibility for stirring up apathy (in Whitelaw’s memorable phrase) lies with LibLabCon and the medja…

• Jayne Mansfield

“Ukip came second in the European elections last time, and I would have thought that they will probably scoop up the deserters from the now crumbled BNP”

In a very recent Euro poll the BNP were only 2% behind the LibDems.

• @ Jayne

No I am saying that the other parties weren’t held up to the same scrutiny and there was a double standard. But it is history now, and of interest only to those who will examine the campaign in minute detail to try and learn lessons for their parties. No longer a live issue. We forgive you. 🙂

As for your whistling to keep your spirits up, saying we just held onto our vote and got ex BNPers, (as though winning a national election without any MPs was just nothing) well you know what my answer could be don’t you?

We Kippers are magnanimous in victory and I am not going to say what could be said. I don’t want to intrude into private grief…

• Jayne Mansfield 22nd May '14 - 12:59pm

@ malc,
    So? Did I say that the Lib Dems were doing well?

@ simon,
    If it private grief that you are searching for, you addressing the wrong person.

Of course the other parties are held up to the same scrutiny, they just don’t have as many people within them making so many ‘bonkers’ and unsavoury statements. Neither do they remain on candidate’s lists.

The Liberal Democrats are, in my opinion as a mere voter, suffering a backlash for the behaviour of a clique who are now in charge of the party. Given that relatively few people have strong feelings about the EU this seems a good time to vent their anger. I understand that and I was in a quandary as to whether to do the same. Then I realised that it would have been irrational.

This election is about who we want working for us in Europe, it is not a referendum on Europe. The choice now seems quite simple to me, do I want someone who is principled and earns the vast amounts of money that an MEP gets in salary and expenses, or do I want someone who is prepared to take the money but not work hard doing the job that we the electorate expect of them?

Respect? I reserve that for people with principles that they demonstrate in their actions. I might have some respect for UKIP if they did not turn up at the EU at all, and did not collect any salary or expenses.

• @ Jayne

I don’t expect my answer to you to get past the blue pencil. (It is currently being assessed). It was a long list of prominent Lib Dems who have (after due legal process) been proven to have down far worse things than the bonkers Kippers.

I guess the truth hurts and can’t be told?

• Jayne Mansfield 22nd May '14 - 3:05pm

@ simon,
    Jasmine Lawrence has been taken off election coverage and there is to be a BBC probe.

• Simon,

I was very sorry to read about the disgraceful attack on Bobby Anwar. There were similar incidents in Barking & Dagenham in the 2010 campaign with BNP activists and there is no place for such unjustified violence in British politics.

Like it or not, UKIP’s EU campaign has forced your party to take up the mantle of the immigration debate in this country that was for a time an issue that raised to some prominence the BNP.

The BNP had some success in the 2006 local elections with Nick Griffin commenting “It is plain to see that the vast majority of us are sick and tired of the dishonest and self-interested politicians that are ruining our communities and our country… We’re not a Nazi party. People can look at our manifesto online and see we’re committed to a libertarian position in many things, and most certainly to the extension let alone the maintenance of democracy.”

BNP candidate George Morgan said “it was a victory for the ordinary working man…This is Labour’s third term and they’ve done nothing for the country. People are sick and tired of all the lies. We are offering people a choice.”

When Griffin was elected as an MEP in 2009 he complained of a “liberal elite which has built a dam, a wall of lies which has grown ever taller and ever thicker over the years to stop ordinary people protesting about the removal of their freedom.” He added: “Well tonight that wall has been broken down in the North West and Yorkshire by hundreds of thousands of voters… “we’re here to look after our people because no one else is”.

By 2012, under closer scrutiny and after people could see the abysmal track record of their elected councillors, the BNP was finished as an electoral force and that party today is facing the prospect of a complete wipeout and its utter demise.

As the BNP learned, getting councillors and MEP’s elected to councils and the EU parliament is just the start of the process. Those elected representatives have to deliver real tangible benefits, if they are to retain credibility with voters. As UKIP raises its profile more media attention and public scrutiny is to be expected. Therein lies your challenge and only time will tell if UKIP is able to step-up to the mark and establish itself as a credible long-term force in British politics or if it will ultimately go the way of former one man, single issue parties of the past

• Jayne Mansfield 22nd May '14 - 5:54pm

The attack on Bobby Anwar is indeed shocking and I hope the perpetrates receive a sentence appropriate to the violence of the crime.

Reading a report in the Metro ‘UKIP candidate claims he had cheekbone and eye socket broken in an assault by Muslim neighbour’ . According to the metro, the alleged perpetrators were neighbours whose children battered his children and who called his wife ‘Kafir’, which the paper explains means ‘infidel’. Mr Anwar does describe them as ‘avid Labour supporters’, but I don’t suppose we will know until the court case whether this is a politically motivated attack or just bad blood between neighbours. Either way, I hope that Mr Anwar makes a full recovery from his injuries.

• Dean Crofts 26th May '14 - 1:34pm

Is it very liberal that only parents can decide what paternity pay or leave they get from their employer? What say are we to give to employers if we legislate that if you employ someone as an amployer you have no choice but to give leave or pay?
    What happened to choice between two individuals, the employer and employee? Surely that is a more liberal policy than the state once again telling people what they need and what they do not.
    Maybe this is why the executive of the liberal democrat party who make party policy are not connecting with voters!

ywho are committed to allowing parents to decide for themselves how to split their entitlement to a year’s leave following the birth of a baby, who are enthusiastically behind the principle of equal pay and who are enthusiastic if at times critical friends of the EU, who know that the best way to effect change is to be in there working together with colleagues.