Chuka calls out Ann Widdecombe’s slavery comments

When I was 8 years old, I watched the tv series Roots. I was horrified at its depiction of slavery and it sparked in me a lifelong commitment to human rights, fairness, freedom and equality. The principle of one human being owning another was bad enough, but the brutality with which the slaves were treated shocked me to the core.

So when Ann Widdecombe came out with her nonsense comparing Brexit to slaves attaining their freedom, I was angry. How dare she attack an institution that is so committed to peace, democracy and human rights?

Chuka Umunna took her to task:

Read more by or more about or .

• Bless David, what it must he like to live in a world of the easily offended. Your grasp of whatabouttery is to be admired though, truely some of our resident Brexiteers could learn from you. As to your struggle, well bless again the only thing you struggle is doing is strangling the British economy and when the price for that comes due a few swear words will truely be the least of your worries, paying the piper will be much more of a struggle for you and your ilk. I’m afraid it will also be an issue for the rest of us, but don’t worry I’ll do my best not to be helping out any brave Brexiteers.

• Well, I thought the poor old soul was in distress and needed to lie down in a darkened room for a wee while to recover her composure.

There was something of the night about it.

• John Littler 4th Jul '19 - 9:57pm

Widdecombe has lost it. She slid into the Parliament and only saw the back wall.

• I disagree with Widdecombe, but I am sorry people should be able to use the metaphor of slavery without being accused of insensitivity.

And to be fair she isn’t – she is saying that the oppressed should rise up against their oppressors and slaves and peasants did just that. (To be clear I personally don’t see the EU as an oppressor but everyone is entitled to their point of view)

Indeed I hope that the oppressed in this country will rise up against their oppressors. And I don’t believe I am being insensitive to the historical plight of slaves in saying that. And it has to be said in my opinion the oppressors have too often been represented by and given succour by Widdecombe’s former party.

• Am i the only one to immediately think that’s a bit rich coming from someone who is from the upper/political Tory class when she talks about the oppressed against the oppressors, slaves against owners. I mean seriously come on who votes for these people?

• BRIAN DAVID DASH 5th Jul '19 - 7:38am

I am a member of a golf club. if I choose to leave it am I being “liberated”.

• Nonconformistradical 5th Jul '19 - 9:34am

@Fraser
    “Am i the only one to immediately think that’s a bit rich coming from someone who is from the upper/political Tory class when she talks about the oppressed against the oppressors, slaves against owners.”

No you are not! People like that would be happy to return the rest of us to medieval serfdom!

• Andrew Tampion 5th Jul '19 - 9:57am

Brian David Nash
    “I am a member of a golf club. if I choose to leave it am I being “liberated”.”
    If you felt, as many Brexiteers do, that you had been signed up to join the golf club against your wishes or if you felt, as many Brexiteers also do, that as a result of changes to the constitution of the golf club the other members were interfering with your affairs, for example by forbidding you to play at other golf courses: then I think you might feel that you were being “liberated”.

• Yeovil Yokel 5th Jul '19 - 10:51am

Not only that, Fraser, but it’s hypocritical of Ann Widdecombe to lecture the EU about democracy when the party whose values she espouses (The Brexit Party Limited) is a dictatorship.

Brian David Dash – if the choice to leave your golf club wasn’t yours then I suppose you could say you had been given the bird-ie.

• Peter Hirst 5th Jul '19 - 11:38am

It also shows a complete lack of understanding of the modern concept of freedom. Leaving the eu would make us less free as we would be at the behest of any country that we needed to trade with. We would sacrifice our valued beliefs such as human rights in order to survive as a developed country.

• Andrew Tampion 5th Jul '19 - 12:26pm

BRIAN DAVID DASH “I am a member of a golf club. if I choose to leave it am I being “liberated”.”
    If you believe, as many Brexiteers believe, that you been signed up to the golf club against your will or under false pretenses; or if you believe, as many Brxiteers, also believe, that the rules of the golf club have changed so that for example you are not allowed to play on other golf courses: then you might legitimately feel that by resigning your membership that you were being “liberated”.

• Nigel Jones 5th Jul '19 - 7:57pm

Peter, you say leaving the EU would make us less free, I would say it reduces our power and influence; how would we stand up against China over the way it treats the Uigur people and Hong Kong if we were desperate for their trade ? And what about the USA if Trump gets re-elected ?

• Richard Underhill 5th Jul '19 - 8:30pm

John Littler “Old age should not disqualify anyone from being an MEP but stupidity ought to be known and should prevent her from getting re-elected.”
    She was next to Nigel Farage and maybe she wants to be party leader. UKIP(1) had splits.
    We are also against kidnapping and campaigned to free John McCarthy from the Lebanon which the then PM (Con) did not want to do.
    The party list system in the UK does not allow voters to choose from individual candidates. When Tony Blair and Jack Straw introduced this system Alan Beith MP pointed out this problem, but New Labour decided to stick with it.
    Suppose Nigel Farage has a say in electoral reform, what is he likely to want?