Ed Davey added to range of pictorial membership cards

As of today, you can order an Ed Davey membership card.

The suggested donation for a replacement membership card is £2 but anything else you can donate on top will go towards helping the party fight elections next May.

You can order online here.

There is a list, and description, of the existing membership cards here. They are:

Charles Kennedy
Paddy Ashdown
Pride
Shirley Williams
Violet Bonham-Carter
Willie Rennie

* Greg Foster is the Liberal Democrats' Head of Membership

Read more by or more about or .
This entry was posted in News and Party policy and internal matters.

• Helen Dudden 17th Nov '20 - 3:05pm

I watched online, today, how Matt Hancock refused to comment on some of his spending with regard to Covid. It was very surprising that one man seemed to be in control of billions of pounds of taxpayers contributions. Amazon, has been one of the contacts. Apparently, they can get supplies.
    As I read of another suicide, a young husband, and father, who had a debt of £20,000. He could no longer cope.
    There is still very little, on the subject of hospital treatment for those with serious illness. Cancer, being one of them.
    Johnson, is now out of action again.
    I listened a while ago, to a you tube recording of the late former Chief Rabbi, on how he felt politics was too political. It’s becoming clear exactly what he meant.
    I know I need dental surgery for tooth damage, I think that will need to be paid for.
    Something, is very wrong, does politics and infighting come before the country you were elected to serve?
    I would go comment on the interview in line today. Ed Davey, was being honest about some issue’s. I thought, that’s interesting. Very rarely, do I comment on anything, I feel nothing emotionally for.

• Helen Dudden 17th Nov '20 - 3:37pm

Ruth Bright. No pain at present, just four teeth with no backs. I have bone disease and they break. Last one snapped off in the gum area, it had to come to the surface as it healed. I need specialist treatment, I could end up paying a lot of money, privately.
    I do feel very concerned, by what I know, and know to be true. How frightening for someone who is seriously ill, and can’t get treatment. Mental health is terrible, one of my grandchildren suffers bouts of deep depression, and most certainly it opened my eye’s to how much it hurts us all.

• Ruth Bright 17th Nov '20 - 4:12pm

Yes a young one in our family was very badly hit by the first lockdown. I am feeling (late) middle age is a gift at this time. Not missing out like the teenagers are.

• It’s a shame they seem to have removed Gladstone. Even progressive parties should celebrate their history.

• david marder 17th Nov '20 - 11:15pm

Why are Nick Clegg and Jo Swinson being rewarded for failure?

• No David Lioyd-George and Winston Churchill ? No Roy Jenkins ? I agree about Clegg and Swinson. They are the achitects of our current mess.

• Nonconformistradical 18th Nov '20 - 7:37am

Hasn’t the party got more important issues to think about?

• “Hasn’t the party got more important issues to think about?”

Like a group of 100,000 people can only think about one thing at a time…

• “No David Lioyd-George and Winston Churchill ? ”

They were on a previous edition.

• “Why are Nick Clegg and Jo Swinson being rewarded for failure?”

I assume because some members choose to have their images on their cards….

• “It’s a shame they seem to have removed Gladstone.”

Perhaps there was a paucity of people who ordered cards with his image on them?

• Helen Dudden 18th Nov '20 - 10:16am

I think, unless politics becomes less political, and looks towards a future of more transparency today, highlights what happens to society.
    Lack of medical treatment, for those serious health conditions, is shocking. Small businesses crashing, with all the pressure this will cause to those concerned.
    Corbyn, comes back into the Labour Party, this is frightening to those who are in the Jewish Community.
    The Conservatives, have made a terrific mess for so many, there is even questions being asked, how the controversial contracts were awarded.
    Is this how we wish to run our country?

• @ Helen Dudden “Corbyn, comes back into the Labour Party, this is frightening to those who are in the Jewish Community”.

Newsflash. Keir Starmer has refused to restore the Whip to him.

• @ Paul Walter A busy morning for you, Paul. Any progress on LDV on the :

Recent Comments – No recent comment found facility ?

On the cards, Arthur Ponsonby and Charles Trevelyan might tempt me to renew….. but certainly not that old eugenecist etc., WSC. The people of Dundee saw through him way back in 1922.

• James Moore 18th Nov '20 - 1:13pm

When I read this I had to check it hadn’t been published on April Fool’s day. So we can have Jo Swinson and Nick Clegg on our cards (join an orderly queue folks), but not Gladstone, Lloyd George or Asquith?

This seems to reflect a desire on the part of some to distance us from our history and a misplaced concern about upsetting certain Leftist lobby groups who want to attack the British Liberal tradition. Frankly, if there is no role for Gladstone within the party’s traditions, I’m not sure there is a role for me either.

• The party is now on 5%. No party MP at PMQs, Government releases its Green policies with responses from Labour Party,SNP,Green Party and PC and yet our great announcement is SirEds face on a card.

• Richard Underhil 18th Nov '20 - 1:52pm

My membership card included 3 people, including Kirsty Williams, who would have been my preference at the time for election as deputy leader. I also liked Shirley Williams who could have been leader of the former SDP. BBC4 yesterday had a series of political programmes on 17/11/2020, including Yes Prime Minister, a training course for MPs.
    Ken Clarke (now a peer) spoke from the Tory Whips Office. The Treasury had circulated a list of economies they wanted and Mrs Thatcher had. (presumably?) ticked an item for her department, which was to abolish school milk for children aged 7-11, which was very unpopular with the public. The PM, Ted Heath, did not like her and wanted to sack her, but the whips said that you cannot possibly sack the only woman in the Cabinet. He took that advice and let her stay on. She stood against him for the party leadership, and, with the help of Andy Neave MP, she won on the first round of voting. Michael Heseltine said who he had voted for (not her).
    In her defence, a previous Labour government had abolished school milk for children aged 11+
    She served for over 10 years until a Cabinet including Ken Clarke, decided that she would lose the following general election. Ken Clarke was right, as he says in “A Kind of Blue”. He was in first and last. The Tories achieved a majority without her. One Thatcherite MP, Alan Clark, did not stand again and regretted it. John Major became PM and survived a leadership challenge.
    The series will continue next Tuesday.
    Liberal Democrat federal conference passed a motion to free a kidnap victim from the Lebanon who she had ignored saying that “We do not talk to terrorists” which was untrue. She was a member of the Cabinet when they talked to the IRA at Sunningdale. They also knew that the IRA have television sets.

• Barry Lofty 18th Nov '20 - 2:01pm

Whether the Lib Dems were in attendance at PMQ or not I find it extremely annoying that Johnson is allowed to attempt to distract attention from his and his government’s abysmal handling of the governance of our country by making his usual simplistic statements in an attempt to divert more damaging headlines from appearing in the media. Someone needs to get a grip on the here and know.

• @ Barry Lofty “Someone needs to get a grip on the here and now.”

Keir Starmer is doing that in England Barry, as are Nicola Surgeon and the Scottish Greens (Alison Johnstone MSP) in Holyrood. I’m afraid sitting in a Stockport Fish and Chip shop usually ends up in getting battered.

Tim Rogers and you should contact Mark Pack, the Party President, to tell him what you think.

• Barry Lofty 18th Nov '20 - 2:24pm

David [email protected] Not a bad idea David, I am so angry today, that makes a change ha! Then I did not check the know and now in my haste to get it off my chest!

• Helen Dudden 18th Nov '20 - 4:01pm

My attitude in life, being in a minority, does not let me off the hook. Anyone, would be foolish to be antisemitic in the h o c.
    Whatever my religion, I do have the right to an opinion, it’s been disputed in the past, but, I still have my opinion.
    I still find the subject of health care, or lack of health care shocking.
    I’ve even had my online account blocked, when I’ve commented on Covid in the beginning.
    There is nothing stopping one of your MPs, standing up for honesty. I was told, never be ashamed of what you believe in, or are.
    Also, my time in a wheelchair has been a time of learning, not always a good first impression.

• @Tim Rogers

“The party is now on 5%. No party MP at PMQs, Government releases its Green policies with responses from Labour Party,SNP,Green Party and PC and yet our great announcement is SirEds face on a card.”

But it isn’t our “great announcement” is it? We regularly have updates here from our membership department, plus a whole range of other announcements.

• Paul Barker 18th Nov '20 - 5:36pm

No, We are not on 5%.
    We have been around 7% for the last 7 Months with every Poll since June putting us in a range of 5%-9%.
    The time to get excited or depressed by individual Polls will be when we see one outside that range.

• Bring back Gladstone!
    Anyone who set up a library that you can actually go and stay in, with three meals a day and a comfortable bedroom, can’t be all bad.

• @ Margaret Yes, Margaret, Hawarden is indeed very pleasant, but as with so many things it’s a case of ‘follow the money’.

W.E. Gladstone was very fortunate to have been able to finance his political career out of inherited wealth (his own and his wife’s) – all before the payment of M.P.’s.

His father, Sir John Gladstone, a merchant of Leith and Liverpool, acquired several large plantations in Jamaica and Guyana, worked initially by enslaved Africans. A massive slave revolt centred on the estates was brutally crushed by the military.

The extent of Sir John’s ownership of slaves was such that after slavery was abolished in 1833, he received the largest of all compensation payments made by the Slave Compensation Commission.

Afterwards he expelled most African workers from his estates and imported large numbers of indebted Indian indentured-servants, through false promises of providing them schools and medical attention. However, on arrival they were paid no wages, the repayment of their debts being deemed sufficient, and worked under conditions that continued to resemble slavery in everything except name.

Ah, well, sleep easy next time.

• david marder 19th Nov '20 - 5:13pm

Yesterday the Govt. released its latest proposals on the Green Revolution but our leader said nothing on his best platform. Today we have the same on Defence. I bet again he will say nothing. We face the most critical elections next year with our leadership seemingly adopting the mantra-say nothing and they may not see us!

• @ david marder “Today we have the same on Defence”.

I watched the statement and, someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think he was there. Popped out to the chippy ?

• James Moore 20th Nov '20 - 2:25pm

W.E. Gladstone should be no more held responsible for the alleged sins of his father than any of us. After all, no one would blame the modern generation of Germans for the sins of their fathers and grandfathers.

Almost all politicians of the mid-nineteenth century benefited from inherited wealth of some sort and the origins of that wealth reflected the economy we had at the time. Much of Gladstone’s wealth actually came from his wife Catherine – including the Harwarden estate where the library is located – so you can sleep easily on that score.

Gladstone committed himself to philanthropic endeavours from his time as an undergraduate at Christ Church, Oxford. Most of his life was dedicated to the service of God and the public good. He spoke out about protecting the rights of native people at a time when such a view was highly unfashionable. No one is without fault, but I doubt that many modern Liberals will ever match his high-minded devotion to public service or his positive impact on our modern British history. (And certainly not Facebook’s Nick Clegg.)

• neil sandison 22nd Nov '20 - 11:55pm

Cards have two sides if we wanted to reflect our heritage we could include David Lloyd George , Gladstone , Beverage , Roy Jenkins David Steel and Paddy Ashdown . to reflect continuity and heritage of the Liberal Democrat tradition .

• @ Neil Sandison I wouldn’t recommend putting Asquith and Lloyd George on the same card, Neil……. and your Beverage card sounds more like a plastic beer mat.