The Heart of the Party: what the LibDems stand for, 1995 version

Back in 1995 the Liberal Democrats under Paddy Ashdown made a video explaining what the party stands for and why people should back it. If you’ve been around in the party a few years you can have some fun spotting familiar faces from 15 years ago (including a young Danny Alexander), and even if not it’s striking how well some of the points have aged:

Also on YouTube here.

Thanks to Pete Dollimore and Rob Fenwick for their help in rescuing this footage from an old video tape.

Read more by or more about or .
This entry was posted in Lib Dem TV.
Advert

5 Comments

  • “Education is everything. For Liberal Democrats it is the soul at the centre of our policies; for this government it’s a source of short-term savings – they believe you won’t mind starving education to death as long as you’ve got some promise of distant tax-cuts to look forward to.”
    Now rendered utterly laughable given the 80% cuts to higher education and hints at tax cuts come 2015 from the likes of earlier-mentioned Danny Alexander.

  • This was in the good old days when we sang “The Land ……God gave the land for the people”. Now we have the Government supported by the Lib Dems flogging off the forests! Great doesn’t that say it all?

  • Brian Dash. Currently, 18% of commercial forests are owned by HMG. Do I take it you’re proposing the nationalisation of the other 82%?

  • Of course not Tabman. Not flogging off what we have doesn’t infer flogging off the rest! But I guess we’ll have to get used to being in the privatisation party.

  • Nicola Prigg 6th Feb '11 - 5:59pm

    Perhaps we need a new video like this.

Post a Comment

Lib Dem Voice welcomes comments from everyone but we ask you to be polite, to be on topic and to be who you say you are. You can read our comments policy in full here. Please respect it and all readers of the site.

If you are a member of the party, you can have the Lib Dem Logo appear next to your comments to show this. You must be registered for our forum and can then login on this public site with the same username and password.

To have your photo next to your comment please signup your email address with Gravatar.

Your email is never published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Please complete the name of this site, Liberal Democrat ...?

Advert



Recent Comments

  • Christian de Vartavan
    PS - And yes, this should be a campaign issue if not because people don't always focus on what matters (to put it mildly)....
  • Christian de Vartavan
    Very good article and interesting comments. Makes you proud to be a member of this party :)....
  • Peter Martin
    @ Michael BG "All government deficits make up the current national debt." Yes, this is true, and no, it isn't new but it appears not to be true...
  • John Marriott
    @Fiona “Properly built, well insulated homes”? Were you one of those fanatics glueing their hands to the motorway recently? I hope not!😀😀...
  • John Marriott
    To finish the lyric, courtesy of the late, great Buddy Holly: “The sun is out, /The sky is blue,/There’s not a cloud to spoil the view;/ But it’s raining,...