Isolation diary: Missing the hairdresser

When we are all finally released back into the big world the waiting lists for hairdressing appointments will be longer than those for delivery slots at Waitrose.

Yes, before anyone reminds me, I know this is a first world problem. But nevertheless regular attention to our hair is a great comfort. My own hairdresser has installed therapy chairs so I get a massage as my hair is being washed – it’s bliss, and a pure moment of me-time.

As you can see from my profile photo I don’t dye my hair. I have no problem at all with those who do, but I decided years ago that I would see if I could produce pure white hair like my grandmother’s – hers was gorgeous and silky – and I am very happy that mine is now like hers. But many of you who do colour your hair are now in a predicament. Do you risk trying it at home, or letting your partner do it? And can you even get hold of hair dye?

A friend has said that she now looks like a skunk. I think maybe a badger would be a better analogy, and at least they don’t stink.

Thankfully, I don’t have that problem. But the shape has totally collapsed. I just hope that the good cut I had 7 weeks ago will mean that it continues to look tidy even as it grows. I am very loathe to try to cut it myself and I won’t let anyone else touch it apart from my hairdresser.

In my first post 5 weeks ago I did say I might post pictures of my hair as it grows, so here we are. I think the fringe will be in my eyes in the next one.

I know people who have taken advantage of the lockdown to shave all their hair off. At least it has the advantage of growing back evenly.

We are Liberals and don’t believe in conformity, do we? So let’s embrace the grey, dye it bright orange or shave it all off.

On the other hand, I think I will just let mine grow.

Please note

We have been in full self-isolation since 16th March to protect my husband whose immune system is compromised.

If you are in self-isolation then join the Lib Dems in self-isolation Facebook group.

You can find my previous Isolation diaries here.

* Mary Reid is a contributing editor on Lib Dem Voice. She was a councillor in Kingston upon Thames where she is still very active with the local party.

Read more by or more about .

• Richard Underhill 21st Apr '20 - 5:20pm

Yesterday, BBC News 24 covered this issue. There is a charitable answer, backed by professional hairdressers.
    Trim around the ears so that a video camera in front of you looks you straight in the face, thereby not displaying unprofessional work at the side/s or top.
    Start slowly, especially if using a cutter. A BBC producer (off camera) was told by the presenter that he had not done that and suffered the consequences.
    Unfortunately, so far, the charitable advice is better suited to men than to women.
    The work can be done in 20 minutes.
    Liberal Democrat Voice promises that emails are NEVER published. Good. Please do not write to me. I am not on Facebook or Twitter.

• When I read the ‘headline’ I thought it had been written by my wife…I’ve offered to ‘have a go’ but, strangely, she has declined my offer..Ah, well

• I haven’t been to a barber for more than 50 years so I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. There has been a proliferation of hairdressers in our town in recent years: I can’t see them all surviving the lockdown.

• neil sandison 22nd Apr '20 - 11:43am

Mary it looks lovely and soft .keep it that way .donate the money you would have spent on a Covid 19 cut to a local charity !

• suzanne fletcher 22nd Apr '20 - 12:19pm

You look lovely as ever Mary. Like you I am thankful never to have gone down the dyeing route, but I do have some pink chalk I could ( and have) put on a bit for a change.
    My hair only looks decent now straight after being washed – and I do that before a Zoom meeting!
    I wonder if buying slides for the hair, to keep out of our eyes, will be deemed an “essential item” soon.

• Sue Sutherland 22nd Apr '20 - 1:23pm

Your hair looks great Mary! I’m sure you can cut your fringe before it goes in your eyes. Use a small pair of scissors and don’t try to cut it straight. I have to have my hair dyed because my face is mostly grey due to M.E so hair the same colouris depressing. I often can’t get to the hairdresser for 3 or 4 months at a time so I’m used to having inches of regrowth. Do you know what? It really doesn’t matter. Friends and family and other loved ones don’t take any notice and they’re the ones who count.

• @Ruth Bright – you are so brave!!
    I am being encouraged by my Facebook friends to dye it purple.