Labour’s mess – now even Baldrick has run out of cunning plans…

* Paul Walter is a Liberal Democrat activist. He is one of the Liberal Democrat Voice team. He blogs at Liberal Burblings.

Read more by or more about .
This entry was posted in Humour.

• Peter Martin 4th May '19 - 3:00pm

But he didn’t feel the need to leave when Tony Blair was invading Iraq?

• Mick Taylor 4th May '19 - 4:37pm

There shall be more joy over one sinner that repents, more than over ninety and nine just persons.

• John Marriott 4th May '19 - 6:37pm

All this crowing Is unbecoming. What about Rachel Johnson, briefly a Lib Dem, now a Change UK candidate in the Euros? Leave it out!

• There is a major difference between Tony Robinson, a man who has dedicated decades to a poltical party he now feels he can no longer belong too and Rachel Johnson who seems to hop from party to party looking for the biggest headline and best role (it must be a Johnson thing). The problem we have is we have too many Rachel’s and not enough Tony’s ( and that goes for all parties).

• Brian Evans 5th May '19 - 8:03am

Notwithstanding the underlying expressions of regret and betrayal, the tweet shows an interesting misuse of apostrophes. Did TR suddenly get another burst of conscience after using two incorrectly that he succumbed to inconsistency and got the third ‘its’ correct?

• Richard Underhill 5th May '19 - 8:36am

Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn need a cunning plan. Let’s start with Theresa May.
    She should remember previous PM John Major who described disloyal MPs as “bastards”. Some of them are still MPs. He withdrew the whip from eight of them. They were joined by a ninth to comments about “the sound of white coats flapping”.
    At the Liaison Committee she commented on the voting records of two of them, both ERG, a party within a party. She could start with the stone-faced Bill Cash, who used to PMQ to call for her resignation. She might reasonably feel that he is part of the problem. On the opposition benches he could be ignored. He is unlikely to join the Labour Party. Change UK – the Independent Group have criteria that Bill Cash is unlikely to meet.
    She is inviting Jeremy Corbyn to “dip his hands in the blood”. This is an unlikely coalition. JC is unlikely to fall for it, knowing that he has several MPs who would make a better PM than he would if Labour’s convoluted processes were to elect one of them. He wants her to call a general election, which she has promised her party not to do, knowing that she has thrown away the Commons majority that David Cameron left her.

• Chris Leeds 5th May '19 - 11:22am

“Tony Robinson has nothing worthwhile to sustain him and many thousands of Labour supporters are realising that.”

Absolutely spot on Robert. Anyone with strong tribal loyalty to a political party puts up with a lot before they finally turn against it. Tony Robinson was a Labour Party member for 45 years.

I know just where he ‘s coming from. I came from a multi generational Labour Party tradition. I was a Labour Councillor and constituency party Chair. I left the Labour Party many years ago when I began to find myself more inclined to vote Liberal Democrat in most elections. That went on for many years before I finally admitted to myself that I’m not a socialist, but a liberal internationalist.

Two years ago, I became a Lib Dem member. I’ve found a very welcoming home there and it feels like it’s where I belong.

I would have taken that step many years previously if I could have shaken off the residual tribal loyalty to something I no longer believed in.

I suspect Tony Robinson has experienced similar dilemmas. I take my hat off to him.