LDV Members’ Survey on Syrian airstrikes now live

imageThe new LDV members’ survey is now live. So if you are one of the 2100+ registered members of the Liberal Democrat Voice forum, and any paid-up party member is welcome to join, then you now have the opportunity to make your views known.

The survey asks a series of questions related to the situation in Syria and the forthcoming parliamentary vote on whether the UK should be involved in airstrikes against Daesh.

It should take no longer than 5 minutes minutes to fill in. All registered members of the Forum should have been e-mailed with a unique link to take you to the survey. If you haven’t received yours drop me a line at [email protected], but please do check your spam folder first, though, in case it’s ended up there! Also, if your email address has changed in the last few months, email [email protected] so that he can ensure you get your survey.

The survey will be open until 5pm tomorrow.

We’ll publish the results over the next few days. You can access the results from our previous LDV members surveys by clicking here.

Read more by or more about .
This entry was posted in Site news.

• Richard Underhill 29th Nov '15 - 10:18pm

Suppose you are an individual Labour MP and a Tory Cabinet Minister rings you up and asks you to support air strikes in Syria, what do you do? Do you say
    1) Yes, provided you find me a safe seat
    2) No, still thinking about it.
    Could it be that the Tory whips have set the bar too high?
    or been over-confident? (trapped in their own analysis).

• Little Jackie Paper 29th Nov '15 - 10:45pm

Richard Underhill – Or, in the alternative

3) Actually, I’ve weighed up the many issues – security, humanitarian, geopolitical, situation-on-the-ground and have made a good-faith value judgment of X.

Good grief, it’s coming to something when I have some sympathy for our political class. But this might, just might be one occasion where our politicians seem to have had a real think and grapple with a very difficult issue and it’s us – the public at large – who are the ones letting the side down.

Anyone with a bee in their bonnet and an internet connection just seems to think this is an occasion to scream, ‘I am chippy talkboard warrior – hear me roar!’

Yes, OK, we have some pretty craven politicians. It’s come to something when I think I’d take them over windbags that a very large section of the public appear to have become on this.

• Survey filled in. It’ll be interesting to see if Nick’s assertion that there’s consensus among party members on any point is backed up

• Very disappointing. Too many binary questions and only one that asks for views, opinions and comments on the matter. I fear it is missing an opportunity to get some real views from the wisdom of the wider party, and instead will end up being a justification of whatever the majority decide, but with little in the way of a coherent narrative to support it.

• Peter Hellyer 30th Nov '15 - 9:02am

Since I live in the Gulf, ISIL is already on my doorstep. A few comments, from this perspective, on the Conditions.
    Condition 4 cannot be achieved – saying that the Government should be “absolutely clear on what Syria and Iraq will look like post-ISIL.” Even the states & peoples in the region cannot tell you that! And it’s not possible to predict how the following will evolve:
    a) The status of the Kurds – which also involves Turkey, deeply hostile to them
    b) desirable and practical measures for protection of minority religious/ethnic communities
    c) Reforms in Iraq and the rolling back of sectarian tensions. Desirable? Yes. Practical? Doubtful. Can the UK Government be “absolutely clear” on what’s going to emerge? Absolutely not.
    d) Can the British Government be “absolutely clear” that Syria and Iraq, within their existing borders, will survive “post-ISIS” ? Definitely not.
    Moreover, “post-ISIL” means what? The ideology won’t go when ISIL control over territory is brought to an end. It may be decades before it is finally discredited. .
    I also have serious reservations about Question 3. Fine to call for the Gulf states to play a greater role. But it’s a clear mistake to single out the Emirates (along with the Saudis) as having been a source of jihadi funding. Poor drafting? Paddy’s interview the day before the letter was sent referred to Qatar, not the Emirates. As HMG well knows, the Emirates is a very strong opponent of the jihadi groups and a generous contributor to Syrian refugees.
    Regardless of my criticisms, I think our MPs should vote WITH the Government, though I recognise that many others will take a different view.
    In the long term, progress towards a political solution of the Syrian conflict (and that must involve the removal of Assad) can only happen when ISIL’s territorial control over areas of Syria and Iraq is destroyed. The UK is part of the coalition attacking it in Iraq. It should do so in Syria, too. That alone can never be a solution, though and it’s very difficult to predict how things will evolve.
    It is clear, though, that ISIL and its European supporters have every intention of carrying out terrorist acts in the UK, whether or not Cameron wins this week’s vote. Let’s not be naïve about this. Given their perverted, millennialist ideology, there is no scope for negotiations with them, what Corbyn may deludedly believe.

• paul barker 30th Nov '15 - 9:55am

I have got these surveys in the past but not this one (so far).

• Have now donr the survey but felt that some of the questions were confusing so am unsure how clear the results will be.

• Stephen Hesketh 30th Nov '15 - 1:07pm

Agree with David Evans29th Nov ’15 – 11:19pm and paul barker30th Nov ’15 – 12:36pm. One of the questions and its yes/no answer was especially open to being interpreted either way.

• Jonathan Brown 30th Nov '15 - 5:48pm

@Peter Hellyer – I see the intention behind point 4 being pretty clear, despite it being drafted. Of course it’s impossible to say what the end result will look like. But it’s not impossible to be specific about what the aim is, the strategy being pursued to achieve it and an assessment of the likelihood of success. I don’t think Cameron has passed or will pass this test, but I don’t think it’s impossible that he could.

• A Social Liberal 30th Nov '15 - 6:34pm

20 hours before the survey was closed.

Isn’t this the equivilent of a Vogon planning consultancy?

• Caron Lindsay Caron Lindsay 30th Nov '15 - 7:11pm

I hardly think so – it was actually open for 25 hours, and given that the vote is on Wednesday, we needed to get a move on. Nearly 1000 people responded which is a pretty good – we hardly kept it under a bushel. We tweeted it, did a piece on here and it went into 2200 inboxes.

• Richard Underhill 1st Dec '15 - 12:01am

The vote is in the Commons on Wednesday. The bye-election in Oldham is on Thursday. Am I getting too cynical about the timing?