The news story of the day

Prince William and Nick Clegg have chosen very similar attire today. Quite uncanny.

Nick Clegg Sheffield

Congratulations to anyone who is welcoming a new baby into the world today.

* Newshound in training. I'm sweet and full of mischief, just like my stories.

Read more by or more about , or .

• Nick Collins 2nd May '15 - 8:06pm

BLUE pullovers!

• Jane Ann Liston 2nd May '15 - 8:19pm

The old Liberal colour, if you go back far enough (see ‘Felix Holt, the Radical’ by George Eliot).

• Are there any Republicans in the Lib Dems. I’d like to hear from them on this day.

• Nick Collins 2nd May '15 - 8:37pm

Did the Liberals have a national colour before the 1960s when orange and black became the norm? I recall a Liberal Assembly, about that time, where the “exhibition” included a stall with a collection of all the different coloured rosettes which Liberals were wearing around the UK. It looked like something out of the Chelsea Flower Show.

• The first general election I remember was 1959 and the Liberal candidate used green. I had his poster on my wall for the next year or so – “Vote Liberal – Vote Glenton”.

• Nick Collins 2nd May '15 - 9:23pm

We used green and gold in the constituency where I was a member in the early ’60s. My 21st birthday cake decorated with green and yellow icing.

• Wasn’t red the Liberal colour for a time?

I’m still not sure if we have agreed on yellow or gold yet…

• Stephen Hesketh 2nd May '15 - 11:14pm

ATF 2nd May ’15 – 10:55pm
    “I’m still not sure if we have agreed on yellow or gold yet…”

One thing’s for certain, the Clegg – Laws – Browne book agenda has probably seen off the orange shade traditionally used in many areas.

• I like liberal orange.
    And yes, liberal republican.

• Caron Lindsay Caron Lindsay 3rd May '15 - 7:03am

Where’s Mathew Hulbert, Chair of Lib Dems for a Republic, when you need him?

• I’m completely fed up with the ‘minute by minute’ coverage of the Duchess’s ‘unique experience’… summed up by yesterday’s cry of “OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH It’s a girl!” (That from the BBC local radio)

• Richard Harris 3rd May '15 - 8:13am

You’d think it would be red to match all the lines that are not be crossed. Not that anyone believes NC will keep his promises made before polling day.

• Jenny Barnes 3rd May '15 - 8:23am

Woman has some difficulties with pregnancy, Gives birth to a baby.

• Paul In Wokingham 3rd May '15 - 8:45am

With apols to Spitting Image

Duchess of Narnia : The baby’s crying. Where’s the baby rocker?
    Duke of Narnia: It’s her day orff.

• Michael Main 3rd May '15 - 9:32am

In 1960 I fought an Council election in Central Twickenham ( my two opponents were Elizabeth Bell-Wright and Daisy Codd – guess which parties !) but I really did not like my photo in green and so I opted for yellow and black. There were 11 wards altogether and one other candidate liked my address so much that he adopted the same. I missed election by 103 votes and the following year won – again with yellow and black

• John Roffey 3rd May '15 - 10:11am

The party NC has supported since his student days – has always been blue.

Is he also an avid supporter of a Midlands football club that plays in London?

• g 2nd May ’15 – 8:30pm
    “….Are there any Republicans in the Lib Dems. I’d like to hear from them on this day.”

In reply to “g” , there are many republicans in the Liberal Democrats.  Republicanism is at the heart of this party’s beliefs.

If you read the Preamble to the party constitution you will see three fundamental aims of the party which echo the call of the French revolution.

It goes on to the very specific statement —
    “…Upholding these values of individual and social justice, we reject all prejudice and discrimination based upon race, colour, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation and oppose all forms of entrenched privilege and inequality”

in the UK we are weighed down by “entrenched privilege and inequality”..

A society that enforces the sanctioning of people on disability benefit because they have a second bedroom whilst the monarch can buy one of her grandsons an £8 Million helicopter for his birthday is not a Liberal Democrat society.

• @John Roffey ho ho ho it’s the way you tell them.

• Jane Ann Liston 3rd May '15 - 1:11pm

@ATF – In Neil Munro’s short story ‘Para Handy’s Vote’ the Liberal candidate is indeed described as wearing a red rosette. This would be sometime in the first decade of the last century.

• Dave G Fawcett 3rd May '15 - 1:41pm

Don’t worry G. There are quite a few republicans in the party. I’m not the only one in Gateshead for instance.

• Richard Fagence 3rd May '15 - 6:08pm

Even Windsor has its Republicans. Me, for example.

• Stephen Hesketh 3rd May '15 - 10:13pm

JohnTilley 3rd May ’15 – 10:55am
    g 2nd May ’15 – 8:30pm
    “In reply to “g” , there are many republicans in the Liberal Democrats. Republicanism is at the heart of this party’s beliefs.
    It goes on to the very specific statement —
    “…Upholding these values of individual and social justice, we reject all prejudice and discrimination based upon race, colour, religion, age, disability, sex or sexual orientation and oppose all forms of entrenched privilege and inequality”
    In the UK we are weighed down by “entrenched privilege and inequality”.

Can’t say fairer than that John. Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

• Jane Ann Liston 4th May '15 - 12:31am

Except ‘fraternité’ excludes over half the population.