WATCH Jo Swinson launch action plan on maternity discrimination

Yesterday, Jo Swinson, as chair of Maternity Action, helped to launch an action plan aimed at tackling maternity discrimination.

If you think that this stuff doesn’t go on any more, take an hour out to watch the video of the event and you will see that it very much does.  A woman called Amelia tells the shocking story of what happened to her when she told her employers she was pregnant.

The video is available on Maternity Action’s You Tube channel here. Unfortunately, it’s not embeddable here, but do go and watch it.

Here are some tweets from the event:

The number of women adversely affected each year is staggering:

Read more by or more about , , , or .

• Ruth Bright 30th Oct '16 - 7:16pm

Fewer than 1% go to tribunal because of the charges brought in in 2013.

• grahame lamb 31st Oct '16 - 7:52am

Can it really be true that women in employment who become pregnant are discriminated against to the extent that they might find themselves out of a job? If so, I am appalled.

• Ruth Bright 31st Oct '16 - 8:23am

Grahame – yes and there are no protections at all if you are a PPC ie a volunteer.