Brian Coleman and road safety: Partingdale Lane update

Last year I blogged about the controversial road safety record of Conservative London Assembly Member Brian Coleman, he also of the exorbitant expense claims. One of the issues I highlighted was Partingdale Lane which had been closed to traffic on safety grounds:

He insisted on opening the road, had to think again after the courts ruled against the policy (with the judge directly criticising Brian Coleman’s behaviour), then saw £250,000 spent on safety measures, even after all that the road sees regular accidents though Brian Coleman claimed that residents had faked a car accident. Oooh, conspiracy. And a big bill. Keeping the road closed would not only have avoided accidents, it would have saved £250,000 on the road works, and it would have saved the extra money spent on the court case, consultations and so on.

Several more months on, how is Brian Coleman’s expensive insistence on reopenning the road looking? Not so good, for as the Hendon Times reports:

A CAR and motorbike crashed in a Mill Hill road beset by controversy this week.

The Honda Jazz and a Suzuki motorbike collided in Partingdale Lane on Monday.

Emergency services were called to the road and paramedics treated minor injuries on the scene.

The accident is the sixth in Partingdale Lane since it was controversially reopened to through traffic.

Meanwhile, he has also come under fire in the local papers for his expense claims:

THE London Assembly’s audit panel has called for stricter guidelines to govern the taxi expenses claimed by members, following the controversy consistently stoked by Brian Coleman.

Navin Shah, the chairman of the panel insisted yesterday that assembly members need to start “practicing what they preach” and suggested more rigorous rules governing taxi expenses.

Mr Shah said: “We do feel extremely unhappy and aggrieved at the level of taxi expenses clocked up by Brian consistently.” …

Mr Coleman said: “I think this is the usual muck-raking nonsense.”

Read more by or more about .
This entry was posted in News.
Advert

2 Comments

  • Geoff Robins 11th Jan '11 - 4:45pm

    To say that these accidents are the fault of the road is nothing short of ridiculous. I use this road almost daily and have never encountered and problems, probably due to the fact that the vast majority of drivers utilising the route do so with due regard for the speed limit and the conditions.

    Dare I say that the biggest gripes are from those that have lost their ‘private’ road?

Post a Comment

Lib Dem Voice welcomes comments from everyone but we ask you to be polite, to be on topic and to be who you say you are. You can read our comments policy in full here. Please respect it and all readers of the site.

To have your photo next to your comment please signup your email address with Gravatar.

Your email is never published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Please complete the name of this site, Liberal Democrat ...?

Advert

Recent Comments

  • Simon McGrath
    @jennie "“Liberals have always been suspicious of too much power in too few hands.” *looks at direction of travel of internal party mechanisms the last fiv...
  • Jack Nicholls
    Roz, I can't think of anything you ever write that I don't heartily agree with, frequently in letter and always in spirit. We've started (literally just started...
  • Peter Dunphy
    The challenge of empowering local communities/councils etc is not that this will allow the house building or wind farms or railway lines that we need - they wil...
  • Chloe
    Liberalism hasn't changed. Sadly too many who purport to be liberal have become illiberal....
  • Nick Hopkinson
    Excellent article. The line “That doesn’t mean a weak state.” could usefully be fleshed out a little more in a future article. Exactly which powers should...