Welcome to the Golden Dozen, and our 332nd weekly round-up from the Lib Dem blogosphere … Featuring the seven most popular stories beyond Lib Dem Voice according to click-throughs from the Aggregator (23-29 June, 2013), together with a hand-picked quintet, normally courtesy of LibDig, you might otherwise have missed.
Don’t forget: you can sign up to receive the Golden Dozen direct to your email inbox — just click here — ensuring you never miss out on the best of Lib Dem blogging.
As ever, let’s start with the most popular post, and work our way down:
1. Oh no, it’s Ben Ramm again by Simon Titley on Liberator’s Blog.
Simon argues that there are many more current commentators from the social liberal wing of the party, including a publication by the name of Liberator.
2. Clegg to quit in February 2014? by Dan Falchikov on Living on words alone.
The question mark at the end of the headline is pretty important here.
3. Controversy over “vicious campaign” as Joshua Fenton-Glynn is selected in Calder Valley by Mark Pack on Mark Pack.
Another Labour selection campaign ends in splits and in-fighting.
4. Something is shifting in attitudes to Clegg by David Boyle on The Real Blog.
Even Liberator are being nice about him, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
5. Spending review – a case of balancing the books on the backs of the poor by Linda Jack on Lindylooz Muse .
Linda says we may have made it less bad, but the Parliamentary party has been too compliant.
6. Is this the real face of UKIP? by Peter Black on Peter Black.
Peter highlights UKIP officials’ links with far right groups.
7. Lessons from Iain Dale on why not to call in the lawyers by Charlotte Henry on Digital Politico.
Charlotte on Iain Dale’s withering reply to a legal letter from solicitors acting for the Bow Group.
And now to the five blog-posts that come highly recommended, regardless of the number of Aggregator click-throughs they attracted. These are normally chosen using the LibDig bookmarking website for party members, the site where you can highlight blog-posts you want to share with your fellow Lib Dems. Remember, though, you’re still more than welcome to nominate for the Golden Dozen a Lib Dem blog article published in the past seven days – your own, or someone else’s – using the steam-powered method of e-mail … all you have to do is drop a line to [email protected] This week, I have again had the wise assistance of the lovely Alex Wilcock from Love and Liberty.
8. What political genius thought of this? by Simon Titley on Liberator’s Blog.
Why is the government reminding everyone of the Lib Dem suicide pill that was student loans? (AW)
9. “Shares for rights flops” – looks like those senior Lib Dems were right by Mark Pack on Mark Pack.
Turns out no companies or workers want to go along with George Osborne. (AW)
10. Planet Littlewood by Adam Bell on Decline of the Logos.
A vision of Mark Littlewood’s dystopian call to brand every benefit recipient. Disclosure of interest: I’m on benefits. Mark Littlewood has owed me £80 for three years now. Obviously, he won’t mind me publishing that. (AW)
11. UK tax revenue and public spending by Nick Thornsby on Nick Thornsby’s blog.
Sounds boring, doesn’t it? But – shockingly – in the last 15 years, UK governments have only balanced the budget once, relying on massive borrowing in every other year, from a full decade before Labour could blame the international crisis. Sole credit year: +£16bn. Biggest debt year: -£186bn. No wonder the deficit’s taking a while to fix. (AW)
12. Why we should remember Waterloo by Jane Leaper on Mira’s Picture.
Reasons why the 200th anniversary should be marked in 2015.
And, because he’s way too polite to put himself forward, you really should read Alex’s post on privatisation and tax dodging. Entitled Set a pirate capitalist to catch a pirate capitalist – running down the tax dodgers, it asks what tests should government set when deciding whether to privatise something.
And that’s it for another week. Happy blogging ‘n’ reading ‘n’ nominating.
<a href="http://www.libdemvoice.org/top-of-the-blogs-the-lib-dem-golden-dozen-332-35147.html"><img src="http://www.libdemvoice.org/images/golden-dozen.png" width="200" height="57" alt="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" title="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" /></a>
* Caron Lindsay is Co-Editor of Liberal Democrat Voice and blogs at Caron's Musings