WATCH: LBC LIb Dem Leadership Debate

Iain Dale has spent much of the last few weeks going round the country chairing Conservative leadership hustings.

In what must have been a refreshing change, with a much higher quality of candidates, he put Ed and Jo through their paces in an hour long debate last night.

Watch it here.

Read more by or more about , or .

• Hopefully Jo can get rid of the verbal tic of saying “you know” all the time, which is irritating to the listener.

• marcstevens 16th Jul '19 - 3:22pm

It’s rare for the Lib Dems to get any publicity on LBC nowadays. Farage has his own show but other parties don’t get much of a look-in what with their political bias.

• Michael Sammon 16th Jul '19 - 11:22pm

It was alright. I like Iain and he does speak well of us at times. He is one of the more liberal conservatives and gives us more time than most on LBC. He spoke very highly of Layla Moran as well and once said that the Conservatives should be worried if she became leader. I wish Jo and Ed would speak more of their differences. The longer this campaign goes on, the less difference I am seeing. It is boring and too safe in my opinion.

• I think this was better than ‘alright’. It is the best debate I’ve seen in the contest. If anyone is still undecided I’d recommend watching this. As for there being no differences between them, it seems there genuinely aren’t any. I think that’s a good thing. What are they supposed to do? Make something up just to have a row? I find it refreshing that they are so much in agreement, not boring. It means they can actually talk about issues in depth without any bickering and cross-talk.

• Matthew Campbell 17th Jul '19 - 7:04pm

I contest that there are small but significant differences between the candidates, and I feel that Ed in particular has encouraged this view in a way that benefits him as it reduces some of the ‘edge’ she has in her ability to reach out beyond the party.