Tunbridge Wells Tory switches to Liberal Democrats

Francis Rook (apologies for getting his name wrong initially!), a Parish Councillor in Tunbridge Wells, has switched from the Conservatives to the Liberal Democrats.

His switch was triggered by Conservative plans to shut the council offices in Cranbrook, plans which the Tories tried to push through without any public consultation until there was a huge public outcry.

Looking to the Liberal Democrats, he found that our party actually matches his own beliefs much better than the Conservatives, so he switched.

Read more by .

• It's a two-horse race 26th Mar '07 - 10:07pm

Wow1 What a catch! A former parish councillor! Congratulations!

• A current rather than a former parish councillor. But just for you, I’ll make the post even clearer 🙂

• It's a two-horse race 27th Mar '07 - 12:24pm

Still, a MASSIVE catch, no?

• Angus J Huck 27th Mar '07 - 6:06pm

In case Two-horse hasn’t noticed it, Cranbrook is a real town inhabited by real people. The folks who live there cannot be held accountable for what one of their parish councillors does. So save your sneers, Two-horse.

• It's a one-horse race 27th Mar '07 - 8:19pm

Yes, you’re right. It’s a real town, with real people. And guess what? They vote Conservative, not Lib Dem. How they must feel cheated. Still, it will be another Tory gain to look forward to – even it is at Parish level…

Tally ho!

• Angus J Huck 27th Mar '07 - 8:48pm

More Tory prophets. Don’t bother with the election, the result has been foretold. Or is it more a case of making the decision for the electorate? Very inconvenient when those pesky voters just refuse to vote Conservative (as they did in Claygate last week). Class traitors all.

• The Tunbridge Wells Tories, presiding over a ‘weak’ Borough council criticised in its CPA for not consulting with anybody, (not even backbench Tories!) has decided to close the council offices in Cranbrook without anybody (not even aforementioned backbench Tories, one of whom is up for election in Cranbrook this year!). A packed public meeting was far from impressed when the Tories tried to pretend they knew nothing about it (you could almost hear people thinking “so why did I bother voting for you then?!”).

And who is this John Rook? His names Francis. Hes the Lib Dem borough candidate, and hes got a pretty good chance from the looks of things.

• “Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government.”

• It's a one-horse race 28th Mar '07 - 11:56am

“Go back to your constituencies and prepare to run the parish councils”

• So is this what it has come to. Thanks to our aged useless leader we have to shout about a parish cllr defecting. It’s time we got a decent leader!!!!

• Is AP actually a lib dem? 29th Mar '07 - 7:10am

Who knows – could be anyone!
    The party isn’t shouting about a parish cllr, it’s just noted on this website that’s all.

• And I know this isn’t a huge story, but the point isn’t so much that hes a parish councillor, its that he is a Tory who has switched and decided to stand in the borough council elections as a Lib Dem.

• Dr Bernard Leeman 29th Apr '07 - 7:26pm

Francis Rook is my cousin. He is a successful business man with a kind thoughtful manner and has always taken a close interest in local issues.

• Amanda Jane Bheir 30th Apr '07 - 9:41pm

Francis is my cousin also and I would just like to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Dr Bernard Leeman’s comments. The very best of luck to you on Thursday, Francis!

• Richard Underhill 7th Apr '13 - 2:16pm

Francis is standing for Kent County Council, which needs his common sense.