Former Lib Dem MEP Bill Newton-Dunn is one of our Richmond councillor gains

Amongst our many gains in Richmond in the early hours of Friday morning was a very familiar face, pointed out by Michael Mullaney on Twitter:

And here’s the proof:

I was delighted when Bill joined the Liberal Democrats – which always seemed a better fit for his boldly pro European ideals than the Conservative Party. He served the East Midlands very well for 15 years. Now, at the age of 76, he’s taking on a new challenge as a local councillor.

Congratulations to him and we wish him, and all his Council colleagues, all the very best.

Read more by or more about , or .

• John Marriott 6th May '18 - 9:24am

It couldn’t happen to a nicer chap! Well done Bill! I wonder what son, Tom, thinks (he of The Sun, The Sunday Politics, etc)?

I often ran into him when he was one of our MEPs and what a great representative he was, attracting particular approbrium from certain quarters when he ‘crossed the floor’ to join the Lib Dems from the Conservatives. Now there was a true European, and a real gentleman to boot!

I wish him all the best in his new adventure.

• Richard Underhill 6th May '18 - 11:48am

q=bill+newton+dunn+mep&form=WNSGPH&qs=SC&cvid=afd0797e030449729f51c4902127a33b&pq=billnewton+dunn&cc=GB&setlang=en-US&nclid=D19A84F13F0AA22DEE7AE50DDCF460A0&ts=1525603605791
    Not to be confused with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Newton_Dunn
    Are they by any chance related?

• John Marriott 6th May '18 - 12:10pm

@Richard Underhill
    Didn’t you manage to read my contribution timed at 9.24am?

Tom and Bill are father and son, although I don’t know what the latter’s politics are, despite his obvious association with Rupert Murdoch.

• Watermelon allergy 6th May '18 - 1:00pm

Would be interesting to know how many people here gave two votes to Lib Dem and one to Con. Bill N-D might have had Lib Dems elected with him but for the charity donation to the hard left Green Party

• Lorenzo Cherin 6th May '18 - 2:20pm

Very good to see that, when he was East Midlands mep, I met him at a meeting and said I wanted to join the party, impressed over Iraq, had been Labour so related to his having come from elsewhere too,he gave me his phone number if I needed any questions answered or further chat, a delightful fellow, and I joined the party!

• Martin Pierce 7th May '18 - 8:10am

My particular congratulations to Bill as I was Councillor for its predecessor Ward of Richmond Hill from 1990 to 1998. In 2002 the boundaries changed with the new South Richmond a much tougher prospect. We haven’t won there since – until now!

• I have always thought that he would of been put forward for the House of Lords as he is still very well recognised in the East Midlands which now needs more representation in Parliament and is seen as a very Strong Pro European and respected voice in the European Parliament.

• John Marriott 8th May '18 - 5:52pm

@David Dobbie
    Grammar alert. It’s “would HAVE been”, David. Didn’t you used to be a teacher? Hope things are still going well for the Lib Dems in Gainsborough. It’s about the only place in Lincolnshire where they are!