Welcome to the Golden Dozen, and our 277th weekly round-up from the Lib Dem blogosphere … Featuring the seven most popular stories beyond Lib Dem Voice according to click-throughs from the Aggregator (3-9 June, 2012), together with a hand-picked quintet, normally courtesy of LibDig, you might otherwise have missed.
Don’t forget: you can sign up to receive the Golden Dozen direct to your email inbox — just click here — ensuring you never miss out on the best of Lib Dem blogging.
As ever, let’s start with the most popular post, and work our way down:
1. The death of David Owen’s Continuing SDP by Jonathan Calder on Liberal England.
ITN footage of the Demise of the ‘Continuing SDP’ in 1990, marking the end of the SDP’s nine year history.
2. Chris Williamson MP: sadly misinformed, or a liar? on Jennie Rigg’s blog.
Why disaffected Lib Dems shouldn’t join Labour.
3. Vince Cable or Tim Farron for next leader? I’m not too sure about that… by Neil Monnery on The Rambles of Neil Monnery.
It’s Jo or Julian, says Neil.
4. Giving up The Guardian on Matthew Harris’s blog.
Matthew hangs up his tweed jacket.
5. £200 million bill for the taxpayer – the most costly printing error ever? by Paul Walter on Liberal Burblings.
The DVLA are having to replace everyone’s registration documents because of a theft of 2.2 million blank registration forms that should have been shredded due to a minor printing error.
6. Wrestler suspended for 30 days after bout which left Lembit hospitalised by Paul Walter on Liberal Burblings.
Paul suggests a safe desk job for the former MP.
7. The Truth about Tuition Fees on Neil Woollcott’s blog.
Neil says graduates already pay more in taxes.
And now to the five blog-posts that come highly recommended, regardless of the number of Aggregator click-throughs they attracted. These are normally chosen using the LibDig bookmarking website for party members, the site where you can highlight blog-posts you want to share with your fellow Lib Dems. Remember, though, you’re still more than welcome to nominate for the Golden Dozen a Lib Dem blog article published in the past seven days – your own, or someone else’s – using the steam-powered method of e-mail … all you have to do is drop a line to [email protected]
8. Slavery – now sponsored by HM Government by George Potter on The Potter Blogger.
“Stewards at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee were unpaid jobseekers required to sleep rough and then work a fourteen hour shift.” (Submitted by bplatt via LibDig.)
9. Slavery alive in Cameron’s “Big Society” by Andrew Page on A Scottish Liberal.
“Andrew makes some very good points about the scandal of unemployed people being forced to work as unpaid stewards during the jubilee and also makes some wide points about the growing use of unpaid labour in our society.” (Submitted by GeorgeWPotter via LibDig.)
10. Are you Out for Marriage? by Harry Matthews on The Libertine.
“Liberal Youth Scotland were fantastic and pivotal in getting a huge response to Scottish equal marriage consultation. Great to see the same happening south of the border. Now, get your response in today.” (Submitted by Caron via LibDig.)
11. No leading black councillors in Britain on Lester Holloway’s blog.
“The fact is, local government remains as white and old as ever.”
12. A month in the merde – what it’s like joining the Lib Dems! by Liam Quinn on The Libertine.
“Since leaving the Conservatives I have been made to feel very, very welcome in my new political home,” writes Liam.
And that’s it for another week. Happy blogging ‘n’ reading ‘n’ nominating.
<a href="http://www.libdemvoice.org/top-of-the-blogs-the-lib-dem-golden-dozen-277-28892.html"><img src="http://www.libdemvoice.org/images/golden-dozen.png" width="200" height="57" alt="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" title="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" /></a>