Welcome to the Golden Dozen, and our 312th weekly round-up from the Lib Dem blogosphere … Featuring the seven most popular stories beyond Lib Dem Voice according to click-throughs from the Aggregator (3-9 February, 2013), together with a hand-picked quintet, normally courtesy of LibDig, you might otherwise have missed.
Don’t forget: you can sign up to receive the Golden Dozen direct to your email inbox — just click here — ensuring you never miss out on the best of Lib Dem blogging.
As ever, let’s start with the most popular post, and work our way down:
1. Eastleigh: more on that poll and who the Lib Dem candidate will be by Mark Pack on Mark Pack .
Mark’s tips on all aspects of Eastleigh.
2. Eastleigh: the shortlist. Oh all right then, my shortlist by Richard Morris on A View from Ham Common .
The shortlist that never was.
3. Gay marriage – never mind the Tories, what about the Labour and Lib Dem rebels? by Simon Titley on Liberator’s Blog .
Ahead of the vote, Liberator speculated on potential Labour and Liberal Democrat rebels.
4. Some brief thoughts on Chris Huhne by me on Caron’s Musings.
Written in the immediate aftermath of his guilty plea.
5. Chris Huhne’s demise is literally tragic by Mark Thompson on Mark Thompson’s blog .
Hubris helped Huhne get to the top in politics – but was also responsible for his downfall, says Mark.
6. Same-sex marriage: 7 Lib Dem MPs not present of which only 1 was an abstention by Mark Pack on Mark Pack.
The MPs were barely back in the Commons when Detective Pack had the absentees tracked down. Oh, and congratulations on your new baby, Jenny Willott.
7. Eastleigh Lib Dems choose Mike Thornton as their by-election candidate by Jonathan Calder on Liberal England .
Jonathan points out that, unlike Conservative activists, the public is not obsessed with Europe.
And now to the five blog-posts that come highly recommended, regardless of the number of Aggregator click-throughs they attracted. These are normally chosen using the LibDig bookmarking website for party members, the site where you can highlight blog-posts you want to share with your fellow Lib Dems. This week, I’ve had a lot of help again from Alex Wilcock of Love and Liberty. Remember, though, you’re still more than welcome to nominate for the Golden Dozen a Lib Dem blog article published in the past seven days – your own, or someone else’s – using the steam-powered method of e-mail … all you have to do is drop a line to [email protected]
8. How the UK Government is creating gay marriage not equal marriage by Jason Kay on Freedom is not the problem .
Jason exposes the flaws in the Government’s proposals which he intends to pursue with the Parliamentary committee considering the Bill. (submitted by Alex via email)
9. The “LGBT people don’t want this” argument is getting really old by Jason Kay on Freedom is not the problem.
Why it’s important to give people the choice on how they live their lives. (Submitted by Alex via email)
10. Jobs cheaper than benefits? by Mike on The Atomium.
Exploding Labour’s favourite piece of economically illiterate propaganda. (Submitted by Alex via email)
11.Other liberal views on marriage from Southport by Lauren Keith on Birkdale Focus .
“Liberalism is too precious and too complex to be judged by a single vote.” (Submitted by Iain BB via LibDig.)
12. Over optimism and the Huhne legacy by David Boyle on The Real Blog.
David outlines Chris Huhne’s 3 major achievements.
And that’s it for another week. Happy blogging ‘n’ reading ‘n’ nominating.
<a href="http://www.libdemvoice.org/top-of-the-blogs-the-lib-dem-golden-dozen-312-33200.html"><img src="http://www.libdemvoice.org/images/golden-dozen.png" width="200" height="57" alt="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" title="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" /></a>
* Caron Lindsay is Co-Editor of Liberal Democrat Voice and blogs at Caron's Musings