I wanted to write to reassure you that the current reports in the media about Government plans to snoop on your emails are complete nonsense.
Liberal Democrats have always been, and will continue to be, opposed to a centralised database that allows government to monitor your internet activity at will.
That is not going to happen under these proposals and never will happen in a government that includes me and the Liberal Democrats.
The proposals being considered would simply update the current rules – which allow the police in criminal investigations to find out who was contacted and when – to cover new forms of technology that didn’t even exist when the original laws were made, like Skype.
What this will not do is allow the government, or the police, or any other agencies, to read your emails and Facebook messages (or any other social media for that matter) at will. The content of your communications is currently, and will always be, protected by tough rules that mean a warrant is needed before any interception could take place.
If you want more detail then you can find it here.
Our party has a proud history of defending civil liberties which has continued in this Coalition Government.
We’ve scrapped ID cards, ended child detention for immigration purposes, stopped indefinite retention of innocent peoples’ DNA, restored the right to protest in Parliament Square, scrapped control orders and ended 28-day detention without charge – to name but a few!
And as long as Liberal Democrats are in Government we will continue to fight for everyday freedoms that our party has long held dear.
PS Nick Clegg has been talking about this today – to see what he said click here.
- On Sarah Wollaston's naming and shaming in The Times of "very aggressive male bloggers"
- Jeremy Browne MP responds to LDV debates about his book
- Labour's "Easter Clegg" - that's grown up politics for you
- There are way too many elephants in Lib Dem Members' survey
- European selection results - complete
- Opinion: Never mind ‘One Nation’; let’s bring back National Efficiency (Stephen Howse)
- Opinion: Russia and the Great Illusion (Joe Bourke)
- Jenny Willott MP writes…Cracking down on copycat websites (Jenny Willott MP)
- Opinion: Manufacturing is a growing sector in the UK and EU membership is vital (Liz Lynne)
- There are way too many elephants in Lib Dem Members’ survey (Caron Lindsay)
- Young People and the Pulls of Syria
- Don't Lose Your Vote!
- I want to see the Matisse collages
- In defence of Nate Silver and Data Journalism
- Fighting Crime
- Council Candidates 2014
- Candidates for the 2014 Acocks Green Ward City Council Election
- North Kesteven DC, Osbournby
- East Cambridgeshire DC, Sutton
- East Lindsey DC, Horncastle
- Joe Bourke 25th Apr - 2:41am
Matthew, I think we need to remember that in Gladstone's day the British East-India company was the largest global corporation in history, accounting for half...
- Richard Dean 25th Apr - 12:40am
@jedibeeftrix. Have you really descended to this? Your comments always used to be interesting and challenging!
- Richard Dean 25th Apr - 12:37am
There'll always be crises. It's a fact of life. Politics is the art of managing them and learning from them, and learning is what is...
- David Allen 25th Apr - 12:23am
Matthew Huntbach, If you read very carefully, you will find that Alex Marsh did not write a "flood of propaganda which insists that the pre-merger...
- jedibeeftrix 25th Apr - 12:06am
the article, and the degree of division in the comments makes me lol. but at least the division represents a degree of sanity returning to...
- Ray 24th Apr - 11:54pm
There should be no bullying down to the "normal and harmless" homosexuality.