Welcome to the Golden Dozen, and our 426th weekly round-up from the Lib Dem blogosphere … Featuring the seven most popular stories beyond Lib Dem Voice according to click-throughs from the Aggregator (2-8 August, 2015), together with a hand-picked quintet, you might otherwise have missed.
Don’t forget: you can sign up to receive the Golden Dozen direct to your email inbox — just click here — ensuring you never miss out on the best of Lib Dem blogging.
As ever, let’s start with the most popular post, and work our way down:
1.Tragedy of Lib Dem Councillors turned winning Independents in Clegg era leads to Conservative poll win in Lincolnshire by The Lib Dem Future Community on Lib Dem Future.
Some detailed commentary on a by-election result in Lincolnshire, with wider implications.
2.Charging Towards Fascism by Andrew Hickey on Sci-Ence! Justice Leak!
Andrew relates a conversation which indicates a disturbing trend in the public’s attitude towards immigration.
3. The Liberal Democrats will have a new leader. Tim Farron MP by Lembit Opik on Lib Dem Future.
Lembit praises Tim and says “the liberal movement (was) hijacked and harmed by selfish actions of an inept elite”.
4. I remember when Ed Joyce and Lembit Öpik were the future… by Mark Valladares on Liberal Bureaucracy.
Mark comments on a new blog.
5.Those forthcoming Liberal Democrat memoirs in full by Jonathan Calder on Liberal England.
A summary of the forthcoming memoirs and news that Nick Clegg kept a diary while in government, and that this will eventually reach the public domain.
6. How Do I Become An Effective Campaigner?by Andrew Hickey on Sci-Ence! Justice Leak!
A personal tale and a request for guidance on how to help the party.
7. Corbyn is a C**t by Cicero on Cicero’s Songs.
A hard-hitting commentary on Jeremy Corbyn.
And now to the five blog-posts that come highly recommended, regardless of the number of Aggregator click-throughs they attracted. To nominate a Lib Dem blog article published in the past seven days – your own, or someone else’s, all you have to do is drop a line to [email protected] You can also contact us via Twitter, where we’re @libdemvoice
8. The siege of Cowley Street by Phil Reilly on Blimey O’Reilly.
Phil Reilly gives an insider’s detailed account of the day the students protested against the tuition fee rises.
9. Why I hate & detest 50/50 gender representation campaigns, & want the lib dems to stop supporting em by Jennie Rigg on Nothing is more important than my egomania.
50/50 gender representation campaigns are based unfairly on a narrow binary view of gender. Except Jennie says it more pithily than that.
10. Lessons from the AV referendum: Farage is playing with fire with the official designation thing by Nick Tyrone on Nick Tyrone.com.
Some interesting insight into why the “No” EU referendum campaign is off to a bad start.
11. So out of touch it struggled to find anyone on the minimum wage: Ed Miliband’s Labour Party by Mark Pack on Mark Pack.
Mark argues that a campaign incident was indicative of the Labour party being widely out of touch.
12. Britain’s politicos don’t get AV. Is Burnham the only person able to stop Corbyn? by Matthew Green on thinking liberal.
Matthew argues that the MSM are viewing the Labour leadership as a FPTP battle, ignoring the effect of second preferences under AV.
And that’s it for another week. Happy blogging ‘n’ reading ‘n’ nominating.
<a href="http://www.libdemvoice.org/top-of-the-blogs-the-lib-dem-golden-dozen-21-47085.html"><img src="http://www.libdemvoice.org/images/golden-dozen.png" width="200" height="57" alt="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" title="Featured on Liberal Democrat Voice" /></a>
* Paul Walter is a Liberal Democrat activist. He is a councillor and one of the Liberal Democrat Voice team. He blogs at Liberal Burblings.